Moebius 2001 XD-1 DISCOVERY - Polystyrene - 1/144 - Yves Vidal - Finished

11 hours ago, catopower said:

My geek side and my love for this film (that my older sister took me to see when I was 6!) won't let me rest until I comment that the AE-35 device wasn't really the reason HAL did what he did – it was their discussion about effectively giving him an electronic lobotomy that pushed him over the edge. You probably know this, but I saw some other comments, so I had to say it.

Also, that photo of the airlock you chose not to detail wasn't actually the airlock – it was the storage compartment that contained the spare AE-35 unit. Okay, I know it wasn't that important, but I had to say it – I feel much better, thanks.

And, thank you for sharing this awesome build. Now, you've got me looking online, where I found a Space Pod kit... drooling over the thought of building that...

Clare

Clare, you are absolutely correct. Of course, it is not the module that triggered the neurosis crisis within HAL9000, but the prospect of loosing its individuality and intelligence, after reading the lips of the two astronauts. The second replacement of the module was just an excuse to terminate one of the crew, after taking care of the three scientist in hibernation.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and please show us what you will be building on the subject of 2001.

Yves

Yves,

I don't want to coopt your thread, so I'll just post a couple links to the pod kit (1/8 scale) and lighting kit. There's other things that would probably need to go with it as well, making it a kind of pricey project. Also, an astronaut figure in 1/8 scale is supposed to be coming out early next year. So, maybe I can purchase it in stages and not do any building until it's all gathered...

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/2001-EVA-Pod-18-scale-from-Moebius_p_4208.html

http://www.voodoofx.com/product/2001-eva-pod-lighting-kit/

Of course, I have so many projects to work on. Do I need another distraction???

Probably.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Just a note Clare. If you have any electrical ability at all I would recommend doing the lighting like Yves did, building your own. The VoodooFX stuff costs an arm and a leg! At over $150 for the Voodoo setup you can do a lot of DIY. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I actually have a lot of LEDs, resitors, and the like. I did a pretty neat LED lighting of a space model kit many years ago. But, even in the dark, it's nearly impossible to see it. Lots of time and effort for that.

With all the internal controls and panel displays, in the EVA pod kit, I think I'd much rather rely on something already designed for it. I think it would actually be worth $150 to not have to re-learn all the details. 

Then again, I understand there's a big Aries 1B kit coming out maybe next year(!). By then, I may have rekindled my desire (need?) for custom lighting...

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Cap, we do that down in western NC at the Apple Valley Model RR. We are an HO railroad, running DCC. Stuck a GoPro on a flatcar and took these videos. We added a mask into the video of diesel cab windows. We're working on putting a drone camera into an HO loco. https://www.avmrc.com/layout-videos.html

Our outdoor RR in G scale is already doing this, since there is plenty of space in those loco cabs. Haven't done a video of that, yet.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, catopower said:

Then again, I understand there's a big Aries 1B kit coming out maybe next year

Now you are talking about MY model! But then Moebius is ALWAYS late, sometimes by years.:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 2/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, Canute said:

We are an HO railroad, running DCC. Stuck a GoPro on a flatcar and took these videos.

Yeah, "Cab ride" video have become pretty common, especially for the big clu layouts.  What was more fascinating was the idea that the controller (or the iPad if you are using that interface) would display, in real-time the view out of the cab.  It would make operations just a bit different.  And would really involve the yard and road conductors.
It's an interesting idea, if nothing else.

Superb  - what a fine piece of art work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Congratulations Yves

This is one of the more impressive modeling renditions I have seen in a long time. The painting is the perfect display choice.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Beautiful work, Yves.   And like the others, that picture is perfect for displaying it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic build and display 😃. The lighting in the "cockpit " area looks very realistic, I for one think you got it perfect. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

For those of you who are as fanatic as I am about the 2001 Discovery ship, there is a fantastic reproduction made by a Japanese company: 

https://discovery-one.hlj.com/

Their model is exquisitely detailed and goes way beyond what Moebius did with their 1/144 kit. The ART MASTER 3D model comes fully assembled and painted by Japanese artist. It measures 5 feet 4 long and is a replica at the scale of 1/10th of the original prop created by Kubrick and his team. The price is way crazy at more than $14,300 each plus an additional $650 shipping fees. Unfortunately, even if you had the money, the list of orders is already closed.

Below are some pictures of the incredible ART MASTER 3D model: 

sum13.jpg.3a35d6464ac2a37b794063f2c6a178b0.jpg

cont13.jpg.973a12fb416f039e605913b09667361d.jpg

cont14-01.jpg.bd54e1bc911b20f7e1fd5c0e6e69883e.jpg   cont14-02.jpg.768a01bd4e9aea728f2e53fc5a17772d.jpg

cont09.jpg.27be27bbd57b8fc5b73fc5bc3d32079f.jpg

cont06-wh_2.png.50430d3ff1a311998f765d7ee3b7198e.png

A truly magnificent piece of art.

Yves

Excellent work!  That came out beautifully!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

21 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Their model is exquisitely detailed and goes way beyond what Moebius did with their 1/144 kit. The ART MASTER 3D model comes fully assembled and painted by Japanese artist. It measures 5 feet 4 long and is a replica at the scale of 1/10th of the original prop created by Kubrick and his team. The price is way crazy at more than $14,300 each plus an additional $650 shipping fees. Unfortunately, even if you had the money, the list of orders is already closed.

14k!?!? Well.... If anyone would still like one of these, I'll go ahead and build one with this level of detail for only 10k. :D

Alan

It is certainly larger, but to be honest I see little difference in quality over your build and display, certainly not $14K worth. At least when looking from an on line aspect. I think that if you were using a professional studio and lighting like they are then the differences would be even less pronounced. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 hours ago, lmagna said:

It is certainly larger, but to be honest I see little difference in quality over your build and display, certainly not $14K worth. At least when looking from an on line aspect. I think that if you were using a professional studio and lighting like they are then the differences would be even less pronounced. 

You are very kind 🙂

Yves

I saw in your sub log that you were finished with this project. :)   it looks great!.........it's the coolest way to display her too ;)   great job....congratz!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, I was not too happy with the anchoring system of this massive (and heavy) vessel. So, I decided to redo it and make it a lot more sturdy.

There was a little bit of sagging and after a few days of standing by itself against the wall, it was not improving. So, this is what I came up with: 

DSC04328.thumb.JPG.c8574f68b848f1cb5cd8e60def4c85fd.JPG

You can see the idea: The black tube is going through the anchor plate (2 mm brass plate) and protruding enough to go through the wood brace of the frame. Another piece of tube is added at the juncture to increase the rigidity. The whole thing is soldered, resulting in a very rigid coupling. Now, you can hang a few pounds to the end of the black tube without any trace of sagging.

DSC04323.thumb.JPG.243fd11b2dbf9d47991c92c6577732cc.JPG

DSC04324.thumb.JPG.128e8f72dc91d6d192eeb13dd385ef1e.JPG

This is the anchor assembled to the wooden frame. Two screws of 10-32 are holding the anchor plate: 

DSC04327.thumb.JPG.a9967027ff22dd74295f5bc37feb8602.JPG

A little bit of spraying and it will be ready: 

DSC04329.thumb.JPG.cacaed202d24c94bda19e3385cc72b86.JPG

DSC04330.thumb.JPG.ea0e04e93c681f5f0edfd4183ff33c0b.JPG

The two moons are also slightly repainted and the shadow of the giant Jupiter planet is more realistic on each of them. 

DSC04331.thumb.JPG.526176323a0baeece2fc5106f2ed8128.JPG

DSC04332.thumb.JPG.404a22a70a88b795eee5309481fbd4f1.JPG

DSC04333.thumb.JPG.7a26a186409e57c1c5c402f0ec32b57d.JPG

The vessel is also more straight, due to the better anchoring: 

DSC04334.thumb.JPG.d5dce1f564b3f2e6418788ead77fae28.JPG

DSC04336.thumb.JPG.3f873689129b4ba34c1b45bc7d3d791b.JPG

DSC04335.thumb.JPG.e5da18a90d82d9f93c175b13d38586a5.JPG

DSC04337.thumb.JPG.1910cb0333a36ae1bccdc28e3e3d7208.JPG

DSC04338.thumb.JPG.300bd219244f3054d620735bbeebf2d1.JPG

DSC04340.thumb.JPG.39979ba84bc52cdd3c870441683629d1.JPG

DSC04341.thumb.JPG.8241528aab367ba53104682215608956.JPG

DSC04342.thumb.JPG.f94640be26de20a98e9fee2c3d2982f1.JPG

End of that very pleasant project. Everybody that visits has been enjoying the art piece and I hope this Log will entice you to come up with something unusual for this great kit.

Yves

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

I hope this Log will entice you to come up with something unusual for this great kit.

I personally doubt that anyone will be able to top this build for this type of subject anytime in the near future. It is truly a vision executed to perfection. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I second that!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very cool model - love the set up against the picture.  Well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)