Moebius 2001 XD-1 DISCOVERY - Polystyrene - 1/144 - Yves Vidal - Finished

Working on the paint of the propulsion block and on the exhaust of the thrusters. All the pods are painted German Grey as a sub-layer in preparation for the white veil. By the way, if you do not have an airbrush, please don't buy this kit. Impossible to paint otherwise. 

DSC04211.thumb.JPG.f2773eb1c58ef9792e412080ba58e995.JPG

First veil has been applied. There are significant gaps between the exhaust bulkheads and the enclosure and I am using some white glue to fill up the tiny cracks. It is quite surprising to find issues, as this kit is very well put together. Some tests of the thrusters: 

DSC04212.thumb.JPG.2c3c377208a1c01deb5ae6476d7d14fe.JPG

The egress ports will be painted black.

In the middle of space, far from Earth....

DSC04213.thumb.JPG.a7e22a70c5420bd38be6ee684c463b60.JPG

Yves 

Edited by yvesvidal

The rear section is now complete. I am quite happy with the white veil, as it remains subtle and allows some of the grayish color underneath to reveal the many details of the pods and propulsion unit: 

DSC04214.thumb.JPG.87b166b5684904772ea2f1bb27161ae5.JPG

The thrusters are also painted and the inside of the egress ports has been painted flat black:

DSC04215.thumb.JPG.c318e83f48aee7211f99924528bd5890.JPG

Hmmm... I may have to do very small touch-ups with white on the nozzles....

Yves

When they made the sequel, one of the big issues was that A, Kubrick had all the studio models destroyed (so they'd not show back up in cheap scifi)., and B, Kubrick only ever intended to use the ship[ in some long, specific shots.  Which is why the thing is long and linear and repetitive, yet has little detail.  It was a narrative placemarker, not an actual part of the narrative.  Especially as it was the internal nature of the ship, the ship as a character, that was the production intent.

So, for 2010, they actually rebuilt Discovery from scratch.

Looking Awesome!!

I have the Movie on DVD and 2010.

At 42 inches long, it's "Long...." How are you intending to mount this? (Maybe with an asteroid spinning/tumbling silently through the void?)

(The thing with the Kubrick film that stands out is the absolute silence of space)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

With the rear spine completed, it is now time, of course, to start working on the front spine: 

DSC04216.thumb.JPG.20f35aa1eab1479228f2385c45e82a51.JPG

The forward rod is put in place in the central module and inserted all the way into the brass tube. Fitting is perfect and very tight. Then, the PODs holder modules are placed and carefully glued. Finally the forward spine is removed from the Central module and the rear section left aside. It is simply not practical to work on the entire vessel as it is far too long and too fragile.

It is then time to start assembling the anchor of the living spaces, the main sphere and unique landmark of this vessel: 

DSC04217.thumb.JPG.ef7b209883ddd2155b91bd2da3f7b9bc.JPG

And this is where we stand: 

DSC04218.thumb.JPG.f8d02417e8648f3a4c8632a893ddbc12.JPG

The whole vessel is starting to come together: it is really long and so skinny...

DSC04219.thumb.JPG.69726e1a04e9d42a65ab9eca968a3744.JPG

Seeing a picture of Discovery or watching the movie is one thing. Holding that skeleton of model is another.... It is quite unique.

The electrical wires are driven through the spine and the positive side of the circuit will be connected to the second side holder. The holder is a 3 mm special brass nut designed to be inserted with pressure into wood or plastic. It will then be glued and secured to the front anchor of the living space. 

DSC04220.thumb.JPG.4e0ff470b82e52c9bfd0b1c1dc6ca8d6.JPG

Yellow and green wires will be sent to the sphere for the main deck lights. The rear of the sphere is also receiving a piece of that brass tube to make the alignment of the sphere perfect with the spine and to prevent any sagging. The sphere is going to be heavy with the PE decks and lights. Besides, it is a massive piece of polystyrene.

DSC04221.thumb.JPG.bc76530463296dbeaffdb28a9e7d4025.JPG

DSC04222.thumb.JPG.8ce0eef29ffe21271561e8bd80ea6b48.JPG

Here is what it will look like: 

DSC04223.thumb.JPG.7292d4d4d54b60cdbc9dde899b2015f3.JPG

For the time being, I want to be able to dissociate the sphere from the spine. This is done to work more easily on the background and holder and to allow me more flexibility with the inside building and painting of the sphere. Again, I am using my miniature rare earth magnets and their terrific sticking power to secure the rear section of the sphere with the spine: 

DSC04224.thumb.JPG.a36f1751354bfee318da7e73da1e077b.JPG

That section (below) will be tied to the spine, whereas the section (above) is the rear section of the sphere.

DSC04225.thumb.JPG.ec395cc41211ffaef3b002e639def2d5.JPG

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Still working on the forward spine. First, some Primer (Vallejo): 

DSC04226.thumb.JPG.f28393a0214e1e454b0c9ca816649fe8.JPG

Details of the anchor and electrical feed. The device is glued with epoxy two components for extra strength. Once the lid (right) is closed, it will not be possible to access the wires and anchor nut: 

DSC04227.thumb.JPG.c6833a2b080a8e9e568eb90dd5f24966.JPG

I just finished assembling the some 30 PODs required for the front spine.... Slightly boring, but not too bad overall. In this picture, you can see the difference between the plain molded white of the parts and the base coat in dark gray, oversprayed with white. It is worth the extra efforts, for sure. 

DSC04229.thumb.JPG.a38897c6902297b504d0225908ee4772.JPG

All the PODs are in place and glued to the spine:DSC04230.thumb.JPG.671744e0a9d6c72f2222eb0a498e5698.JPG

A heavy coat of dark gray (German Grey) to finalize the whole Kebab: 

DSC04231.thumb.JPG.7e829a0d3a3162743ea8119543ac66af.JPG

Yves

6 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

In this picture, you can see the difference between the plain molded white of the parts and the base coat in dark gray, oversprayed with white. It is worth the extra efforts, for sure. 

DSC04229.thumb.JPG.a38897c6902297b504d0225908ee4772.JPG

Wow, the difference is amazing. Definitely worth the effort.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model (although it'll need a really wide monitor to see it in it's full glory!)

All the best,

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Great build!

wouldn't it have been stronger if you had used the center tube/spine as a mounting for the anchor/electrical feed using a Y or T mounting?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

Great build!

wouldn't it have been stronger if you had used the center tube/spine as a mounting for the anchor/electrical feed using a Y or T mounting?

No, that would not make it: front and rear would be sagging.... These tubes, although made of steel, are somewhat flexible.

Yves

awesome so far Yves!  I do wonder about the magnets though,  since it will be suspended on a stand base.   are you going to cement it all together,  or are you going to have parts of it undocked from the station?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

38 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

awesome so far Yves!  I do wonder about the magnets though,  since it will be suspended on a stand base.   are you going to cement it all together,  or are you going to have parts of it undocked from the station?

Popeye, 

the sphere will be unglued from the rest of the vessel. The ship will rest horizontal, and with the magnets, the tight fit of the copper tube on the steel rod and the three little plastic prongs, the Sphere/Living spaces should hold decently. In addition, there will be electrical wires....so I am pretty confident, it will stay in place.

Yves

interesting!  I ask because at work,   we have been fitting new GPS units on our trailers,  and they use magnets to keep them in an inactive state until they are installed.  the magnets are 1/2 in in diameter and 1/8 of an inch thick  they look like what your using,  although yours do look smaller.   they are strong little buggers...I will say that ;) 

superb job on the model so far.......I really like the way your going to anchor the model to the stand.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

58 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

isuperb job on the model so far.......I really like the way your going to anchor the model to the stand.

Thank you Popeye. I hope that my whole anchoring idea is going to work.... 3 mm times two, should do the trick.... crossing my fingers.

Yves

K&J Magnetics, which is where I've purchased Neodymium magnets, gives the pull strength for each of their magnets. So for example an N52 1/8" dia, 3/8" long cylinder has a pull of just over 1lb. (3.2mm x 9.5mm, .45kg). They are amazing for their size. They even have a 4"x4"x1" block with a 580lb pull (and a price to match)! If you're in the US, I would recommend them. They have no minimum order and have a wide selection of sizes and shapes. They also have lots of fun and useful information about these magnets on the site.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

A major milestone has been attained: front and rear spines have been connected to each other: 

DSC04232.thumb.JPG.49f44784c496d39ec80ab57ed69c67a2.JPG

It does not sag too much. Obviously, this brass piece of tube, helps tremendously. I can actually hold the ship from the propulsion block without much noticeable sagging. Of course, once the living quarters (Sphere) will be in place, it will be another story:

DSC04233.thumb.JPG.42d11b134879723da12352180f1088d8.JPG

DSC04234.thumb.JPG.983ff7695464e1d9384ff1e238992699.JPG

I am now going to start working on the frame, used to display the model, and will try to finish the front electrical connections, so that I can close the lid on the front section.

Yves

time will be a factor as well.........are you going to suspend it by two or three attachment points?   looks awesome!   from my constant browsing on the old model kits site,  I've noticed an increase of missile and rocket models.   they just received one of the older Mercury kits

Revell_H1834_MGemiwRSvg-Tb.jpg.63ca36b702d04045e89d3cd6040a77bf.jpg

it even comes with the Mercury and Gemini detail sets

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, thibaultron said:

And, in twist of plot, the space ship and crew, are attacked by the Giant Claws Of Death!

Nice observation, Ron.   :D:D:D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

One year I might get round to getting one of these to build  as you have inspired me.

OC.

$_32.JPG

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, Dubz said:

You should get the new one:

How does that compare to the 1/48th Eagle that came out a few years ago?

My personal favorite from 2001, (And hardest to get) is the Aries moon shuttle. I always thought that outside of the Discovery it was the most practical of the ships in the movie. I was able to get a small one of about 5 or 6" in resin a few years ago. I also think the Moebius Moon Bus was kind of neat. A little like an RV with rockets! :huh::D

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 1/17/2020 at 9:22 AM, Dubz said:

You should get the new one:

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Space-1999-Eagle-NEW-KIT--172-scale-from-MPCRound-2-_p_4762.html

I have 3 Eagles on my build list 🙂

Dirk

Thanks Dirk.👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

In parallel to the building of the frame to display the model, I am starting the antennae module, containing the infamous AE-35 device that is the reason HAL 9000 invokes to terminate the astronauts aboard the Discovery: 

DSC04252.thumb.JPG.bcb9eca0778750f95ed39f8055948493.JPG

The parts are very delicate and the main cross was broken in my box. A coat of German Grey before applying the white color on top.

DSC04253.thumb.JPG.e2ea4d44c63ceb94b40fa41088b407a4.JPG

Below is a picture of Stanley Kubrick, inspecting the original antennae prop built for the 2001 Movie: 

374_012401.thumb.jpg.c392c7f23b17ac2a39a98c0893463e8e.jpg

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Well, let's hope the AE-35 doesn't run amok and try to kill you. ;)   Looking great.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)