Nina by Emmet - FINISHED - Amati -1/64 - first wooden ship

Good job, very nice looking little vessel 👍😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks to all of you.  It is good to hear from everybody. I was wondering how you get help as you build. I had virtually no one look at my build. I figured it was because the ship was little and uninteresting.  It was OK with me as I have done a lot of things in life without interaction. Still the website was great. It helped me a great deal to view other builders. My thanks to Lazy Saint for telling me about using a scale that did not have tiny pieces. Also Rob and Clearway have given many useful ideas.

Thanks to all.

Thanks Clearway.  I am also going to buy balsa and basswood when I order Victory Trafalgar.  The value seems to be there and I could have used some for a small boat during this build (they supplied a metal one.)  By the time I realized it the woods were out of stock everywhere with the virus thing.

• 8 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, Emmet said:

This is Emmet. Upon doing some research I found out that the ship is La Pinta. I had ordered Pinta but the box I got said Nina. I thought I would build it anyway.  I was looking at pictures of all 3 ships and it confirms that this is really La Pinta. I have to figure out how to change the title. 

You have the Nina, not the Pinta..Your hull structure matches the Nina. I recommend you check Igor's build page where he is building both and have them physically lined up side by side with hull framing done.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:58 AM, Emmet said:

Here are pics of Colunbus' ships. I think you can tell from the pics above that my ship is certainly not the NIna. And my ship does not have the large foredeck of the Santa Maria.  Let me know what you think. The odd part is as I said above is I ordered the La Pinta.

santa-maria-christopher-columbus-ship.jpg

Many years ago the actual sailing replicas of all three docked in New London, CT. I boarded all three at that time. Your model is the Nina. The bow rake on the Nina I was on did not exceed the height of the quarterdeck! The Pinta most certainly dd!  All three returned to Spain where they have remained docked for the public.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, Emmet said:

The drills are new and came with the pin vise drill by Werkzeug.They are not wobbling  very much-barely perceptible. And the bits are drilling without a problem. Yes it is a Dremel, my second.  Bulkheads are plywood which surprises me because normal plywood is softer rom the side.  Even when I drill a pilot hole the push pins do not want to go in. I did not hammer them but ci could give that a try. I will be resuming planking soon.  Further efforts should prove worthwhile. And yes the Dremel is at the lowest rpms.  When I say a little wobble I could be wrong. It may be none. I am poking a small dent so that the bit will be guided. Bare in mind the bits are only protruding about 8mm from the "chuck". Thanks for the help and input. Let's see how it goes.

A trick I use on brad pins is center punching the starting hole first before drilling. I have also lubricated the pins and nails with wax or soap to make them slide easier into a really hard wood. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, Emmet said:

Thanks

I am concerned about the placement of the upper deck. Do you think it is correct to cut out slots so that it fits down on the frames?

Probably too late now, but I've just started Amati's Niña, & saw this discussion, so re-read the drawings & instructions - no need to slot deck because the planking is done first, THEN the deck is fitted after cutting of the bulkhead tips.