18th-Century Merchantman Half-Hull Planking Kit by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - NRG - 1:48

22 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Thanks Lyle!

I finished up another belt before I had to store her away for a move. I'll be looking forward to finishing her up once we get settled - each belt seems to look a lot better than the last so I definitely feel like I'm making progress in my efforts. I left some extra length of the planks over the counter and chiseled a (somewhat) straight and even line with the wale once they were all installed.

My camera gear is all packed away, but here is a parting shot.

IMG_9489.JPG.ea9441961c1572bab6eb7709e9080a2b.JPG

Hope your move goes well mate  - never an easy thing  - Will be great to see you building again mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The planking is looking excellent...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 months later...

I've been neglecting this log for a little while mainly because I've had a lack of motivation (which is mainly my fault) and I'm hoping this bump of a post will help encourage me to get on with the show. I'll confess that as my planking progressed it became obvious (to me at least) that I didn't fair the frame well in spots. The real solution would be to tear down and start again, but this is a learning experience for me and I don't see myself finishing the build going down that path with this tutorial. However you better believe that I'll be doing a lot of checking to make certain I'm confident in my fairing next time I start to plank a hull - there is no covering it up with a single planked model. With that said - onward to the current state of the build.

DSC_0004.jpg.13e9b1db8a3f5ed5c9c38f663f97bc37.jpg

She really doesn't look too shabby from this angle.

DSC_0007.jpg.0d8c56677df18a90db5142540227db0b.jpgDSC_0008.jpg.364e307a62a39128e3861e4be6e38b7c.jpg

Not quite as smooth as it could be from here however.

I also don't feel like I did a great job with how the wale and the counter met, but I'm not really certain what I did wrong (or if anyone can tell from the picture). Any insight there to take forward with me would be much appreciated.

DSC_0005.jpg

Edited by VTHokiEE

Very happy to see you back. I am still working on my other projects but I am definitely going to build this half hull and certainly appreciate your doing it ahead of me. Sorry I cannot help you with your counter but I am not very knowledgable in the 18th century modeling.

Welcome back

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

2 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

Sorry I cannot help you with your counter

Thanks for checking in and I look forward to seeing how yours comes together when you get there. I keep looking at the exemplar build and I’m starting to think I initially placed the counter slightly off and then didn’t fair it quite as well as I should have. The directions seemed vague to me at the time for how exactly to place that part.

1 hour ago, Cathead said:

Looks better than mine!

Oh you’re too modest, but thank you!

I agree that the directions are pretty difficult to follow regarding how to handle the complex planking around the counter, and none of the photos really capture it in progress. I had to study a lot of different images to even get as far as I have.

Great seeing you back my friend  - fairing the hull was a real pain for me  with my wood build  - so hard to get a perfect smooth  run of planks,  its down to ourselves also  how perfect we want to make it.   Is that the first or second planking?  reason I ask is,  the First gives  you more wriggle room if you wanted to try to sand down the high spots, also  with the  wale  could you not just meet the counter the same way  you have it but with more planks on the counter to match the extra wale planks (I assue you are adding)

Not sure if that was of help Tim?  its hard to come up  with ideas some times  unless one is building the  ship  your self.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

its hard to come up  with ideas some times  unless one is building the  ship  your self.

There is a lot of truth to that! This is a single planked Hull reducing the wiggle room some. I do have to add another layer to the wale; I’ll have to see if fiddling with that layer improves things. If not c’est la vie.

Fairing can be difficult to get right... I struggle with it from time to time!

I used mine as a learning experience too... made mistakes, learned from them and moved on!

Here is picture of my wales to counter seam... not much difference.

Check my build log if you want to see more.

I think you're doing great!

IMG_3751.thumb.jpg.159be3ccac49d58d2762c1afcb5fecf5.jpg

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

9 hours ago, LyleK1 said:

Check my build log if you want to see more.

Thanks! I recall enjoying your build. I rechecked your log and I think my counter issue stems from the initial placement which fairing added more of a curve to that desired (I think). I think it’s probably good enough for this, but I prefer how yours came out and I’ll have to keep an eye of that in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little surprised to find myself "finished" with the half hull (I still have to take it off the building board). I did notice one final "error" that I made in my build to watch out for. If you notice in the following picture I planked the transom short of the planks on the hull. I went back and forth and tried to look at every picture I could find to determine which was the right way and of course I missed a great picture further along in the instructions that showed I did it wrong. Not a big deal, but boy did I make my life a little harder placing the "decorative" pieces later. 

DSC_0009.jpg.795d6408ce2b9f700af2256ecbd367c5.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg.41b211b7bb171e55dce75cf0af38abfb.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg.00f4a1302369430c972ba4bafae6c2e6.jpg

Please ignore any waves that you see - fairing is the such a critical step in a single planked hull and I'm glad that I saw the consequences here instead of a future build.

DSC_0014.jpg.e1c110d59de08c2c0ba234a56d035d69.jpg

I did paint the wales before gluing them on, but after fitting them

DSC_0015.jpg.e4779f9f73ece1537e9793a4c4e4ef7c.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg.131303c12aa80950e975ce783447c53b.jpg

(What paint job doesn't need a little touch up?)

DSC_0017.jpg.eb6aaf918bbf3a9c4d275fd5a3d0759a.jpg

Due to the fact that I planked my transom "differently" I had to cover the ends of the planks differently and this gave me fits. The directions details one piece that is bent, I needed a lateral bend and it simply wasn't working so I split the piece in two.

DSC_0018.jpg.72cc8a705c7952c56fe0055d7f8aa00b.jpg

I think I made the following piece 3 or 4 times after trying to bend a single piece 5/6 times 😁. In the end I got there though.

DSC_0019.jpg.9fa24f2cd16c8db471692a12e3d33065.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg.26dfab03ef20c713cdb3d74665f4c72b.jpg

Here is the final reveal:

DSC_0023.jpg.a9429441439e0c8b0d934951c83e18d3.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg.3f35f12e63f2d10a74716db394ed6280.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg.700baf5f96d3e9317dd7281abfce4b10.jpg

Big thanks to @tlevine and the NRG for putting this kit together (and thank everyone who followed along!). I found it highly instructional and I'm very glad to have worked through it. There are a few areas in the instructions that I wish had a little more detail (placing the counter, planking the transom) but it was a learning experience and I learned a lot. Be very careful about wet basswood and clamps though (oh the dents! - thankfully most came out after applying some water but I typically places some scrap basswood in between the clamps and the wet basswood).

The basswood looks incredible..  I wonder why it gets such a bad rap sometimes..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Nice job!

What did you finish it with?

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

16 minutes ago, LyleK1 said:

Nice job!

What did you finish it with?

Thank you; I finished it with satin wipe on polyurethane.

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

The basswood looks incredible..  I wonder why it gets such a bad rap sometimes..

Thank you! I think the end result came out very nicely but I have to admit that I wasn’t thrilled with the basswood at time. It can fuzz with sanding and dents but it was also easy to cut.

Superb work my friend  and a really enjoyable read, you finished her off lovely with tha contrasting Black and  wood.

Whats your next project?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 10/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Superb work my friend  and a really enjoyable read, you finished her off lovely with tha contrasting Black and  wood.

Whats your next project?

OC.

Thanks OC; I’m currently mulling over what to do next. @ccoyle has really been tempting me with his card models so I may try my hand at one of those before kicking off a longer term project again.

Edited by VTHokiEE

It looks great, despite the transom problem.  You used this project for what it was designed to be: a teaching aid on how to correctly plank a hull.  All that's left it to mount it and be proud of what you made.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

2 hours ago, tlevine said:

All that's left it to mount it

Thank you, it really was a nice kit and eventually I’ll be giving the Capstan a go. In your log you mention covering the exposed areas of the Hull before mounting. Is that mainly for reducing dust? And did you mean a sheet cut to fit at the top?

Congratulation VTHokiEE. Good job. Hope mine comes out as good. Thanks for the sharing your experience with us

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

The reason to cover the top of the hull is to keep people from looking in and seeing the bulkheads and any other messiness.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.