Wulfe Hound - captured B 17 - 1:72 scale by Popeye the Sailor - finished

thanks to all who hit the like button.....and your kind comments :)   I got lucky with the fading......I don't do it enough.  it sits a bit better on the stand too,  since I added more cement to the pin.  this is why the guide button I put in the fuselage is so important.  being off center,  without the guide button,  the plane would be in a nose dive.   ....and that just wouldn't be very appealing  ;)   I will admit,  this was an odd subject to model,  but it shed light on an aspect of the war that wasn't really talked about.  just a couple more touch ups,  and the Wulfe Hound will be finished :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was in the spare room most of the day today........Wulfie is sitting on the table that we do puzzles on {I've taken it over at the moment}

100_9062.thumb.JPG.6fe61a509b67dcfb75832926b6bb13d8.JPG

still waiting for her finishing touches :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Sorry to step in late...

the base mentioned earlier is RECHLIN. It is located about 100km northwest of Berlin just south of the Müritz lakeside area. Still, it may be visited and it has got a small museum on that spot.

There is a story about test-flying that particular B-17 (and lots of others)

Hans-Werner LERCHE

Testpilot auf Beuteflugzeugen

One of the episodes in there is how he flew the B-17 to Vienna in order to show it around to the fighter jocks and others. I remember what wrote about scaring the sh*t out of a pilot doing training on FW Stösser ...

If there is an English version available, I don’t know. Since it was published by Motor Buch, it might have come from Motor Books in the US.

whoever is interested in more: The German modelling magazine MODELL-FAN had quite number of documentation about “Beuteflugzeuge” .

greets

thomas

any time is a good time Thomas.  the book on KG 200 was very helpful with this subject.  at any given time,  the KG 200 had around twenty B 17's that were flyable...they also had an assortment of other planes,  as well as British Spitfires and who knows what else ;)   B 24's and B 25's were also captured and studied.  this is a subject that really hasn't attracted too many modelers........an obscure subject to be sure.  but I stumbled onto it and it was so unique,  that I had to try it.  I think it worked out very well :)   the idea was so interesting to do,  that I made up my mind to do another project that is somewhat obscure......I read about it......I've even seen it,  but I have the perfect model for it,  and I decided to give it a go.  sadly....it's not a plane.  I may not go into this subject again.......but I have a habit of checking out ever link that's sent to me { I wouldn't be a modeler if I didn't}.

thanks for the head's up  :)   hope to see you in one of my other projects....promise......... I'll give you a good laugh  ;) 

I was hoping you'd look in J...........yea....this plastic stuff grabbed me by the golden globes and won't let go.  kind of refreshing to work with wood again....and with you {not gett'in mushy or anything like that} "brothers don't shake hands.........Brother's hug!   leave it to me to pick the strangest projects.....aye!  glad you like the model.....just a tad more I want to do,  and then I'll have the finished photos.   thank you my friend!

hey......and thank you all for the likes! :)   I appreciate the interest during my insane episode........I hope I can come up with another ............soon:ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

any time is a good time Thomas.  the book on KG 200 was very helpful with this subject.  at any given time,  the KG 200 had around twenty B 17's that were flyable...they also had an assortment of other planes,  as well as British Spitfires and who knows what else ;)   B 24's and B 25's were also captured and studied.  this is a subject that really hasn't attracted too many modelers........an obscure subject to be sure.  but I stumbled onto it and it was so unique,  that I had to try it.  I think it worked out very well :)   the idea was so interesting to do,  that I made up my mind to do another project that is somewhat obscure......I read about it......I've even seen it,  but I have the perfect model for it,  and I decided to give it a go.  sadly....it's not a plane.  I may not go into this subject again.......but I have a habit of checking out ever link that's sent to me { I wouldn't be a modeler if I didn't}.

thanks for the head's up  :)   hope to see you in one of my other projects....promise......... I'll give you a good laugh  ;) 

I was hoping you'd look in J...........yea....this plastic stuff grabbed me by the golden globes and won't let go.  kind of refreshing to work with wood again....and with you {not gett'in mushy or anything like that} "brothers don't shake hands.........Brother's hug!   leave it to me to pick the strangest projects.....aye!  glad you like the model.....just a tad more I want to do,  and then I'll have the finished photos.   thank you my friend!

hey......and thank you all for the likes! :)   I appreciate the interest during my insane episode........I hope I can come up with another ............soon:ph34r:

Well said denis.👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

which part??? :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

25 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

which part??? :wacko:

All of it, just liked what you put  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

oh..........it's just me.  I've always said that there are many subjects out there,  that are just crying for some one to exploit them.  it's likely why this subject jumped out at me.....it's not like the U.S. sold the Germans these planes, as we have with other countries.   ships are perhaps the No 1 subject for little known participants in history.....planes I think are No 2.   I was siked when I found that the Wulfe Hound was the first bomber captured by the Germans....it kinda made it special.   the colors made her look interesting as well.   I did make a small mistake...........likely there are others that I didn't notice....there are two white stripes on the prop blades.......not just one.

on well......chalk it up to other details that even the author of the article didn't pick up on ;)   I try not to dwell on a subject for too long........I stumbled when I looked into the B 17............so many model worthy planes.  I found it good that the possibilities to expand on the subject is quite large.......so many decal sets out there depicting different nose arts.   I have one more to go into,  and then I will close the book on the B 17......and I do believe I've set my sights on another obscure subject to model........on a very famous ship :) 

I'm glad you liked it OC.........I think that of all the wonderful folks I've met since I've been here.   it's the basis of what this site means to us all ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well...I'm going to call it finished.  I added the unit markings and a little soot from the engines,  and there ya go.   the unit markings amount to splotches of paint on the ailerons and rudder.......from what I gathered,  the 303rd marked their planes this way,  but the Wulfe Hound was the only one I noticed with these markings.  I'm not totally happy with the pictures.......if anyone feels gypped,  let me know and I'll try to take better ones.  I think the lighting had something to do with it.

806920010_1.jpg.4b7eac81561219354fca480dc746a3bc.jpg 600414482_2.jpg.fa1213e7982bcf263a15fb46849b64db.jpg

891281446_3.jpg.cec71500776f9e1e064b5a1c823a542d.jpg  163090358_4.jpg.559e4c2c3e87b911d702419fbe148f93.jpg

1162908830_5.jpg.626559e81b5dcb7a4cce9ee1167671d7.jpg  1804306707_6.jpg.f151f563e42729c6627aac836e341ce1.jpg

832352394_7.jpg.c2373c69ca23957ac942481eb2e188d1.jpg  432648762_8.jpg.835d669248c00c918d5e474c8abbca24.jpg

I got a scare when I sat down to do it...........almost knocked it off the desk!    that would have very bad :unsure:   I mentioned this....probably at the beginning of the log that there are two accounts of her demise.   one account stated that she became damaged and had to ditch in the Bay of Kalamata,  but the other account is more believable.   a B 17 was seen at Oranienburg airfield towards the end of the war.....the rest of the article is here:

Wulfe Hound

serial numbers on the parts don't lie.  here is another article that might be of interest to you OC:

Wulfe Hund - The B-17 Captured by Luftwaffe

as I was bringing her to the place where she will be displayed...I also realized I forgot the antenna wires.  I'll do them at a later time

619247746_9.jpg.7a8e28803ede113b7e308fe54404fbc3.jpg  2012597717_10.jpg.caa00cdbd18d1acf6c87c9fc8235975a.jpg

one of these models in 1:72 is still a decent size model.......even close to a 1:64 scale model.  I'm going to need to juggle them around when the Memphis Belle gets here ;)   so thanks to all of you who came to visit,  I really appreciated the suggestions and kind words....it made the model what it is.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work denis  - its becoming a lovely  tribute to the  Fortress,   thank you for the link as well.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks Jack :) 

thanks to you as well Craig.   I thought that was funny about the decal set........they can supply the numbers with the faded look,  but they didn't do the 'B'.  in pictures,  it's quite visible.  it's a bit more visible than it should be,  but when I started to dab on the German gray,  the decal began to come apart.  I didn't push the issue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you welcome OC........and thanks for the good word.   when I read the number of British planes they had,  I thought of you.  perhaps you can show us a Spitfire with German markings  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

you welcome OC........and thanks for the good word.   when I read the number of British planes they had,  I thought of you.  perhaps you can show us a Spitfire with German markings  ;) 

May have to think about that one,   bet there are a few German ones  that  the MOD  got there hand s on also.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice work, Denis.  Came out looking the bees knees.   The Brits and the US also had quite a few German aircraft also so it could go the other way as far as models.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think you got some very nice results with what you had to work with Denis. Definitely a unique seldom explored subject. 

No problem with adding the Memphis Bell to the set. Just build her in flight and do the same thing they did to the real aircraft. Suspend her above the other two from the shelf above. 

They apparently did some fantastic restoration work on the inside of the real Memphis Bell but no one will ever see it because she is suspended from the ceiling. But then I suppose a B-17 is so big, even on the ground the work inside would not gave been that visible either. 

Your shelf display area is beginning to look pretty nice with your finished builds.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great job Denis, I like the different take as a captured plane used against its former masters😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Denis, thanks for sharing your handiwork on this piece of history. Well done.👍

Guys, look up Operation Paperclip. That was when the UK/US took many German planes back to their respective countries to study. Many of our early jet designs took great chunks of the German technology for use. I know the Smithsonian Museum in the US has a number of their aircraft in storage. I assume the the British museums have other stashed also. And they did it with ships, too. The German designs were dispersed to the victors. The USN got a German Destroyer (Z-39 ). We studied it and eventually passed it to the French, who used it to keep their war reparations operational. There were other ships, too, such as the Prinz Eugen. The US nuked it, along with a lot of surplus USN ships, to study blast effects on these ships. :(

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

love the paint work, and yet another fine kit built, and a different aspect of aviation history behind her as well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nicely done, Denis!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

here is another story, of a captured German Submarine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Graph

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks to everyone for the overwhelming responses :)    we can take this a step further Ken.........this has gone on since the days of sail.  captured ships were never burned in place..........it's sprinkled all through history.  a captured ship was brought back as a 'prize'....what do you suppose they did with it........   the ship was studied and if it could be refitted,  it was.  we certainly weren't the only country doing it.  during the Civil War,  the Confederates captured the U.S.S. United States and used her as a blockade.  this opens the door even wider for modelers.......a higher level would be to model a ship or plane that was used as a 'Trojan Horse'...I'm sure there were a few in 17th and 18th century history  ;) 

it won't be hard to display the Memphis Bell Lou.......I'll find a place for her with her like.  ....even if I have to make another shelf {I keep thinking about it....one of these days}.  I will look and see if I still have that article I found on her.   her restoration was a long and over due process....but it wasn't because of money or time.   they restored her using genuine parts......there was no jury rigging or modification of the original equipment.  there is a picture of her in the hanger,  beside another plane........I think it was the Shoo Shoo Baby.  the Memphis Belle you see on the display floor is an exact replica....right down to the wiring harnesses. ;)    I'll have to get a updated picture of the wall.......that shelving takes up a good portion of it.......it represents roughly half of what I have finished.

the question shouldn't be 'can I model it'..............the question should be 'how will I model it' :)   I an so glad you all enjoyed the project.   the next one will be even bigger......trust me ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

14 hours ago, Canute said:

Guys, look up Operation Paperclip. That was when the UK/US took many German planes back to their respective countries to study. Many of our early jet designs took great chunks of the German technology for use. I know the Smithsonian Museum in the US has a number of their aircraft in storage. I assume the the British museums have other stashed also. 

As I recall from years ago visiting it, the AF Museum in Dayton had several German aircraft as well as some Italian.  I should add.. from both WWI and WWII.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You have already modeled two B-17s, one  with gear down and both with closed bomb bay. Not only would hanging from the shelf above save space and allow all three to be shown together it would allow you to have the bomb bay open. Possibly even with bombs falling out!

Here is the real thing:

You are right though, it is a masterful restoration.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

You have already modeled two B-17s, one  with gear down and both with closed bomb bay. Not only would hanging from the shelf above save space and allow all three to be shown together it would allow you to have the bomb bay open. Possibly even with bombs falling out!

or above a fire place

Image may contain: possible text that says 'When your wife leaves you alone with the interior decorator and the checkbook. 二5'

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

THAT WOULD BE FUNNY!!!!!! Well at least once. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey