Wulfe Hound - captured B 17 - 1:72 scale by Popeye the Sailor - finished

While you mention the "MEMPHIS BELLE"...

Once upon a time, about 2005 or so, some B-1 where visiting NORDHOLZ AFB (near Cuxhaven). One of them was named after that famous B-17 that nearly got chewn up by the personal Focke-Force while attacking the Focke-Wulf factory north of Bremen.  The Bone was complete with the correct nose art and so on.

Back then, parts of the factory were still in place and could be easily identified. It came that I got the Belle's driver to talk to. I asked him, if he is aware of the very special place to his bird, nextby. No. He knew a bit about the B-17 Belle, but not much. OK, I told him, what nearly killed the crew and the bird on her last operational flight. The movie about that was impressive enough (btw: I knew EVERY B-17 on show there...  :-) ). So I provided the right vectors to have a glance at this very special place. In the evening, the B-1 departed back to Britain and then back home to Georgia. Going out on Burners, one Bone diverted 110° left en route no the north of Bremen...

Now in 2020, most of the old factory buildings and space are gone and it is not easy to tell, where that factory was located. 

Regards

Thomas

did you watch the Memphis Bell start her engines and run for a bit?  it was shown after I looked at the two videos.......thanks for them Lou :)   impressive to see them start up.  seeing as I have the other two birds on their perches,  I think the Memphis Belle will be standing on her own three wheels.  I got home this afternoon to see this in the dining room.

1016176808_displaycabinet.jpg.feda86767dc31658b3bd005be1ecc6ab.jpg

the top opening has a mirror in it.....not sure if I will leave it in there,  but there is a light in there.  the shelves are wood,  but I might have some glass made instead,  and put a second light in the lower part.  I have to fix one of the drawers

interesting wall art Kevin......if I were to do that,  I think it would be a copy of some of the nose art........more Andy Warhol,  don'tcha thing  ;) :D 

interesting story Thomas :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thats a great looking piece of furniture denis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC.....yea,  I need to do a couple of things to it..........wish the other pieces were with it.  if I'm correct,  this is part of a three piece set..........when put together it must have been huge.  I was browsing the old model site this evening and I saw this

Monogram_5620_B17Visgd-tb.jpg.e444e654b11094186db4cd5970a32a09.jpg

this would be perfect for one to really do some detail work to.   the availability is in question though........someone is interested in it :(    I'll keep tabs on it...........I showed the admiral and even she thought it was neat  ;) 

thanks again everyone for all the likes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I didn't know they still made that one or that it was even available, Denis.  I remember doing it way back when I was young.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm not sure of the production date of this model Mark....I haven't looked into it.  it is an interesting kit though...........I'm usually not drawn to a kit like this.  where one wants to add  a lot on interior detail,  this kit would be perfect.   at least you'd get to see it ;)   as for the cabinet........I fixed the latch on the glass door,  fixed the bottom drawer,  and cleaned it up some.  the admiral said she dust the inside for me.

940536745_inthelivingroom.jpg.30089d79c12f64033c5fc3a0d9e76805.jpg

I removed the light........it only had a foot or so long light cord and I checked to see if I could put a longer one on it...........the way that it's made makes it hard to do,  so I'll look into a pair of matching lights.  I didn't need to do a lot to remove it either,  as it was held in place by silicone.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone, All crew members were not captured. My Uncle Norman Therrien #11030761 was the belly gunner on B-17 Bomber 41-24585 and he and another crew member worked there way to the Spanish border and managed to escape without ever being captured.  Check out book "Their Deeds of Valor" by Don Lasseter. The debriefing files are now online and you can read my Uncle Norman's file. File EE-14! He was the fourteenth person to hit a "Home Run", that is he made it back to England. Our family in Massachusetts was of French-Canadian decent and Norman spoke fluent French and that assisted him in making his escape over the mountains from France to Spain and back to England. Have lots of info about Norman Therrien. Norman was married to my mother's sister, Loretta Dancause, and was my father's  (Joseph Rydant) best friend. Hope this info will assist, RiK Rydant High Falls, New York's 

glad he made it home  ;)    simple case of information not being updated.   good of you to clarify it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

they broke the nose glass to get at the Norden bomb sight.........unknown why Flickinger didn't destroy it.

The author was wrong regarding this assumption. My grandfather (on my mom's side) was the top turret gunner on this B-17, and he told me that they grenaded the bomb sight which is why the nose glass was busted, and that they shoved a parachute in a gas tank and tried to set the plane on fire before evading capture...  I wish he was still alive so I could ask him more questions!

There is a longish article on builds of assembly ships over on Hyperscale: https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/features/assemblyships48jm_1.htm

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

really good article Ken.......the gent did a lot more than I did with mine :)   there were a few good ideas I'd like to try out though  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Glad you liked it Dennis. There are some good sites around for getting ideas.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I'm planning on doing another one in the future.......a B 17 this time {more surface area} ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis, here's a site for some nice decals: https://fineartofdecals.com/goodiess/

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the head's up Ken.......there is some nice history that goes along with the decals :)   I book marked it !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: