Martigana by Javier Barón - FINISHED - 1:210 - traditional mediterranean boat S. XIX

The martigana (or marticana, martingana, etc.) was, in the times of the sail, a common vessel and quite widespread in the waters of the Tyrrhenian and Adriatic, although today its name has been almost completely forgotten. This denomination appears  only from the second half of the 1700s and only a few decades ago some of them were still seen sailing through Tuscany, and even today a couple of them have been photographed afloat in Sicilian waters.

This vessel was used for the transport of goods, even over long distances. The martigana of s.XIX, which is the one that reproduces the model, was a boat with a bow of very pronounced curvature that ended in a spur of the type used in the galleys, with the wedge stern and the rather rounded master frame. In fact, the martigana was, as far as the hull is concerned, quite similar to the tartana, differing from it basically in the sailplan, which was in those of square sails in the main mast and not with the lateen rig that carried the latter .

It seems that the origin of this vessel is in Provence, in the village of Martigues, located west of Marseille, on the southern shore of the great Barre lagoon, along the narrow channel that joins the lagoon with the sea, which It was famous as one of the places in the Mediterranean where the best tartanas were built, so that the term martigana was originally an adjective: "martigana tartana" or of  Martigues.

44CFCF2A-DB3E-41EF-918B-24C2AF60A3F8.jpeg

C9A044FF-6D77-4AE7-A5EA-112332FFFA4A.jpeg

C7A04480-90DA-42FD-9CEC-C1A3F94F9FFE.jpeg

0FDEED12-1227-475C-BC17-6A25AAB3D163.jpeg

873448FC-DD82-4227-AAFD-1D2651B56C68.jpeg

62D45D8B-FD7A-4DB5-840F-8A1C0A0C1FB0.jpeg

DDAECF2E-71AE-4567-B152-2497CD5B0113.jpeg

34CDF8AC-3429-453C-B754-EEC643DF24D3.jpeg

7F985E41-F17A-427D-A098-FBC6AF17D759.jpeg

www. barcosbaron.wordpress.com

Wonderful to see another of your great models Javier.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful ship. I always like the accompanying photos and history of the period...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Javier, este es otro maravilloso barco modelo en miniatura que has construido. Eres un maestro artesano de estas hermosas embarcaciones y barcos pequeños. Me encantan las pequeñas embarcaciones de trabajo del Mediterráneo. Muchas gracias por continuar para mostrarnos su trabajo.

This is another wonderful, miniature model boat that you have built. You are a master craftsman of these beautiful, small boats and ships. I love the small, working boats of the Mediterranean. Thank you so much for contiuing to show us your work.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well done Javier. Remarkable detail in something so small.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

She is a pretty little vessel Javier. The sails are nicely shaped - what are they made from?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Este es un barco maravilloso. Me encanta cómo que también has puesto cada una de tus hermosos embarcaciones en miniatura en una vitrina. ¡Tienes una colección fantasiosa!

This is a wonderful boat. I love how you have put each of your beautiful, miniature boats in a display case too. You have a fantastic collection!

Cordial saludo,

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

15 hours ago, KeithAug said:

She is a pretty little vessel Javier. The sails are nicely shaped - what are they made from?

Sails making:

I cut bias strips of fabric of the desired width to mimic the strips that make up the sails in reality.

I glue the strips with textile glue, with minimal overlap between them.

I cut the sails to the size and shape that is needed for the model, I make the curl girdles with a thin strip of cloth that sticks in its position on the sails. If the sail has reinforcements in the corners, I hit them before the hems.

With strips of fabric of a minimum thickness I make the hems, which then stick on the edges of the trimmed sail (on both sides). I glue a thread on the contour of the sail to make the bowline, leaving a loop in the corners to make the clue ropes. Finally, I put the curls in the number and position required in the corresponding positions of the curl girdles.

Beautiful workmanship Javier. It is also great to catch a glimpse of the collection behind in their individual cases.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Absolutely beautiful work, Javier. Your wonderful, tiny models are always an inspiration.

But I am interested in why you chose a scale of 1:210 rather than, say, 1:200.:)

Steven

It's amazing how you're able to put so much detail in your ships at 1:210 while I have such a hard time at 1:98.  Outstanding work again Javier!

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Absolutely beautiful work, Javier. Your wonderful, tiny models are always an inspiration.

But I am interested in why you chose a scale of 1:210 rather than, say, 1:200.:)

Steven

Because of my anarchic way of proceeding, in which the scale is the result of wanting the model's hull to be between 10 and 11 cm. in length ... it is unorthodox, I know.

Really, we can say that the model is in 1: 200 scale instead of 1: 210, because what I am reproducing is not a real ship in particular, but a type of vessel, with all the margins of variation that are usual.

Congratulation Javier! seeing the pen next to the model, then with the hatches removed is a testament to your skill with these exquisite models, everything else speaks to that as well of course.

Michael