HMS Winchelsea 1764 by MLDixon

Indeed that looks pretty good.   This was a big hull to plank.   Properly planking a hull is a tough skill to learn how to do flawlessly.  Its not something that most folks will ever learn to do at an expert level.  You have done a very good job with it.  That is a planking job you should be very proud of.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I agree, i already have another set of bulkheads cut out, so I'm most likely going to practice some more....it is a skill I would like to master. 

On another note, I saw where you were having problems finding the figures in scale. I made one and have attached some photos. It is really hard to get the finer details at this scale. It looks good with the eye in the real world view, but when you put on magnifiers and take photos that you can really close in on it does not hold up well. I have included the figure on the Winnie it was scaled to 1:48 based on a 5'10" height. Let me know if you think

this looks to be the right size next to that cannon

1144790010_Captainposes(5).jpg.990106abf93c7e1e96f2836e1f8067ac.jpg

691517046_Captainposes(6).jpg.c3ea917db41dd0128d1858ed4d358660.jpg

89905911_Captainposes(8).jpg.94b04fa5b677f06b58b08a41f653a1b4.jpg

Printed figure painted in a hurry, this is just a preliminary attempt to see if I could do it. 

20210729_102727.thumb.jpg.3445759326a8ae51dcc29c1bae1715f5.jpg

20210729_102454.thumb.jpg.e941ffc317ce0c70d804a431fef8597c.jpg

20210729_103459.thumb.jpg.14c1bd2198bd30f0f558b979439dc8f5.jpg

Edited by Mldixon
removed some photos

That figure looks great.  If ever you print any more let me know.  I would love to have one.  I am sure many others would as well.

Chuck

On 7/31/2021 at 1:29 AM, bdgiantman2 said:

Nice progress so far with your model of the Winnie. Looking over your photos, I have been intrigued about those sliders you have for holding keel center. Where did you get those? I am wanting some for my new model. Keep up the great progress.

Brian :)

If you're referring to the Gantry it was my not so original design and I cut most of those items on my cnc and laser. The T tracks you can get on Amazon the steel blocks with the holes are called 123 blocks, Amazon again or Ebay. So as far as I know you can't just buy them, if I can be of additional help let me know  

Thank you for your reply. I have enclosed a picture you shared of the object asking about, it definitely looks like was made using a laser. Looked up T-tracks on Amazon as you suggested and couldn't find anything like these.  Assuming that you did make these, how much would you charge to order some?

20200104_131728.thumb.jpg.d772b83355b4a0be214c89271d98a56f_LI.jpg

On 8/8/2021 at 7:25 AM, FrankWouts said:

Looking good!

You sure have a good building temp, lots quicker that mine!

I'm measuring everything three times, reading again and again as a beginner...you must have a lot of experience?

Cheers,

Frank.

Oh,  I've been rebuilding over and over, I also read and study, but not enough I guess...My qgalleries are on the second set, Chuck obviously knew this was coming. In regards to the figures, I am currently underway on a print run...soon I hope to have something in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a little progress...not real happy with it, but very happy to have made it this far

The camera is so unforgiving in details, I look at the model when I'm done for the day. Then when I go to post pictures I have to go back to the model to make sure it the same ship. I think I will be happy with it when I finish.  

20210819_141111.thumb.jpg.290f02587a3edf43c51f9533e465a29a.jpg 

Haven't done all the stern yet

20210819_104437.thumb.jpg.e740e06f13c343a5b8bdd1167b3513b8.jpg 

So this is the second try on this so its going to have to do for the time being...20210819_141031.thumb.jpg.a9055f04108ebb2ca1391c5f20dd64c0.jpg

It looks much better at a distance, and as I add more details

I added a turntable under my workstation so that I could work on both sides, very useful when trying to get it symmetrical 

Edited by Mldixon
photo removal

So I finally got through Chapter 3, the transom is complete, the windows were just sitting in the frame to check the fit again. Overall I'm happy with the ship at this point, but it is not going to win any Blue Ribbons:rolleyes:

I am going to have to learn how to make scraped moldings better, It really brings the model down. But at this point it is now Model Ships 101 for me and I will just continue to make errors and learn the ropes....I have many more pics...but none worthy to post. 

So onward and upward. 

Transom.thumb.jpg.503933173e61e2bd74b110b77d69c315.jpg

It looks good.  The moldings are a bit heavy but I have seen much much worse.  The beauty of those is you can remove those easy enough at any time.  So just keep trying.  You will be able to make great molding with a bit of practice.

8 hours ago, Mldixon said:

I am going to have to learn how to make scraped moldings better,

You have CNC skills..

Have you considered doing moldings with CNG?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

14 hours ago, Gregory said:

You have CNC skills..

Have you considered doing moldings with CNG?

Well thats easier said then done. The real skill is getting a profile ground at such a small scale. I'm not sure it is worth it, unless I was making hundreds of feet...but something to think about....

Well thats easier said then done.

Isn't it always?😁

I am experimenting with making small moldings with a tabletop CNC, but still learning the software.

I'll share when I have something..

Another option is to make your initial grooves with a (small ) table saw then round off the profile with files, sandpaper etc.

You would not be starting with the final molding dimensions..   It would be strip or sheet wood, that you would cut from the stock once the rough shaping is done.

I will try to put together a visual if you could share the profile and dimensions of your molding..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

2 hours ago, Gregory said:

Isn't it always?😁

I am experimenting with making small moldings with a tabletop CNC, but still learning the software.

I'll share when I have something..

Another option is to make your initial grooves with a (small ) table saw then round off the profile with files, sandpaper etc.

You would not be starting with the final molding dimensions..   It would be strip or sheet wood, that you would cut from the stock once the rough shaping is done.

I will try to put together a visual if you could share the profile and dimensions of your molding..

I am using Vcarve Pro for my CAM and sketchup2021 Pro for my design work....been doing this a long time...lots of steps to carve such a small profile see the attached image. for dimensions, the runout on the spindle would most likely ruin the part, then there is the problem of clamping it and keeping all 14.5 inches of it dead straight so the profile is correct along it's entire length. I'm pretty sure the cutters to mill this would break unless the feeds and speeds are dead nuts. Given all that I don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole....but thanks for the offer. If you are successful keep me up to date.

444409481_molding2.png.0ec0b531ba497979f538304a9fb05f4c.png

In decimal inches below

molding.png.8e2c363799af89aa228e8c1d4b1cfe32.png

So after some thinking about it, I was able to solve my molding profile problem.

I took a Dremel stone and used a diamond file to dress the profile of the molding into the stone while it was rotating. I don't know why I didn't think about this before...I was a machinist in the USAF and this is something we did all the time. Of course that was many decades ago, and I have many files in my head that I cant access as rapidly as I wish. 

Here is a shot of the new profile next to the one I made for the Winnie, too late to change so it will have to wait for Winnie 2

684675662_newmolding.thumb.jpg.d74396233eae0d104d9567f162f8fecd.jpg

And here is the stone on the end of the Dremel after dressing with a Small diamond file. 

82239346_dressedstone.thumb.jpg.cbf36eda56713f7d501251351ca2d46a.jpg

I second that your molding came out great!  How did you control passing the molding over the dremel to keep it straight?  Did you set this up as some kind of make-shift shaper machine?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I second that your molding came out great!  How did you control passing the molding over the dremel to keep it straight?  Did you set this up as some kind of make-shift shaper machine?

I took the stone that was ground to the profile and used it to grind the steel blank for the scraper, and then scraped the molding per the usual steps. I ground the stone because that was easier to control then  hand filing the steel blank.

Edited by Mldixon
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Half of the decking now completed, it took longer than I thought it would. This is the second attempt. 

I'm curious as to the decking count, I looked at the print and it was laid out differently than the actual decks I have been looking at in other peoples photos.

I got 10 planks in width to the margin planks, while the print showed 13 planks to the margin planks, and the first planks were laid full width to either side of the center line and not centered on the whole width of the deck. Just checking to make sure we are not following the prints for the decking....

I also knocked out two windows in the Q gallery with my fingers as I was positioning the deck planks. I had to replace these and that was not fun.

20210928_092239.thumb.jpg.2245c74fac0da943790f0e228271f166.jpg

The captain has his own plank to walk...

20210928_092226.thumb.jpg.1dc4e8d669f6e296157bf2d2b8828a7d.jpg

20210928_092200.thumb.jpg.13a49b9ef003475c39d502cce1e653f2.jpg

This is right after I put on the wipe on Poly to protect it from further dirt.

20210928_092100.thumb.jpg.3732a4db2c727bf1d495bf960db5eaa1.jpg

Your planking looks really good. I went back and looked and I too had ten planks to the margin plank.

Don't know if it's correct but at least we are both in the same "boat"!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 8/30/2021 at 6:48 AM, Mldixon said:

stone on the end of the Dremel after dressing with a Small diamond file. 

Very clever idea and execution. Well done. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose