HMS Speedy by Delf - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright edition

Beautiful work and a lovely model.

I found your excellent log rather late in the day but there are so many useful tips and 'how-tos' that I will shamelessly be adapting for my build of Diana.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

Current Build

HM Cutter Trial 1790 Vanguard Models 1:64

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Thanks David, glad you've found it helpful.

8 minutes ago, dunnock said:

I will shamelessly be adapting

That's how I learn too! This forum really is the best source of help and information I know.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

The Finishing Line

I started Speedy on 5 January last year and after 19 months of very enjoyable modelling I've finally completed her, except for final decisions about display. 

When I first opened the box I was impressed with the quality of the materials, the plans and the instructions - all much superior to other kits I've built (only the manual and plans for the English Pinnace by Model Shipways come close, but they were produced by Chuck Passaro). I enjoyed putting my own stamp on the ship, for example by adding a boxwood deck, but everything I did served to complement a very accurate kit - rather than having to make good the shortfalls so often found in commercial offerings.

So, a huge 'thank you' to @chris watton and Vanguard Models. The biggest compliment I can pay Chris is that I've already got his Duchess of Kingston on the shelf and I'll be getting HMS Sphynx as soon as she's released.

I must also thank the 56 people who have followed the log and offered their support, encouragement and advice, and I've been particularly glad to read that people have found some of my methods helpful.

One person in particular has made the journey even more enjoyable - Glenn (@glbarlow) and I have shared quite a few tips about tools and techniques as we've worked on our separate builds (check out Glenn's Cheerful log), and equally importantly we've enjoyed plenty of light-hearted banter along the way. Even our valets and butlers are on first name terms😁.

One of Glenn's less successful efforts has been to help me improve my photography. His knowledge and advice are great; my abilities are not. Here's the results:

Test1a_0013_edited-2.thumb.jpg.f833f9a307f9632d943372b49099f43f.jpg

Test1b_0010_edited-1.thumb.jpg.797f97bc0c739346d1482edb35f66bb5.jpg

Test1a_0009_edited-1.thumb.jpg.48cbd323d87f627d7da99219cac9d5ef.jpg

Final_0020_edited-1.thumb.jpg.969c0fdc5a55afa8702e250c5620ee85.jpg

Final_0016_edited-1.thumb.jpg.162874159ec89b0b31885be924e059e6.jpg

Final_0003_edited-1.thumb.jpg.2b28c4b40c430c6e4c650c4c9c7b12df.jpg

Test1a_0012_edited-1.thumb.jpg.74a747d95411979546d29bc5f05fbad5.jpg

Test1a_0023_edited-1.thumb.jpg.279df565fbe4d675317e0ab077873d91.jpg

Test1a_0004_edited-1.thumb.jpg.8cb2db9c9cb30fa9aa5e6ac062138f47.jpg

Final_0012_edited-1.thumb.jpg.8d8089c743b5ac8ecaeb8410d048bc96.jpg

Final_0009_edited-1.thumb.jpg.bd1fa699f5faa269750a77268f07ee1e.jpg

Test1b_0014_edited-1.thumb.jpg.5ef9f2e7553dd6975ee8920fcb8000f7.jpg

Test1a_0018_edited-1.thumb.jpg.f7178f5318e94b68f60faddcc0cbf36a.jpg

Final_0023_edited-1.thumb.jpg.670e535f279392485114d6f3906f0512.jpg

Test1b_0001_edited-2a.thumb.jpg.51ca8dff893ef26d727845e28c589dc0.jpg

Final_0013_edited-2.thumb.jpg.f70a38f9dbfea2d70a7fae58c075a5d0.jpg

Test1a_0003_edited-1.thumb.jpg.4f93fa47a66617d0782ff970611641b9.jpg

Test1a_0026_edited-2.thumb.jpg.34173b9a8a67e6132c58030c8587409e.jpg

Final_0017_edited-1.thumb.jpg.eeb2284655ddea35f77226434c3eaf67.jpg

A short break now, then on with the Duchess!

Derek

24 July 2021

Cheers, Derek

A truly great model in every respect. What an amazing result of your impeccable skills. 

Thanks for the mention and the comment I too have enjoyed our many conversations and hope they continue in our next builds, whenever we start those. 

Your photography has improved by leaps and bounds. These final images are really good and as much to be proud of as the model. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Congratulations Derek.  I am going to miss your updates and the discussions that your posts generated.  Your build log is packed with many tips, photos  and techniques and will serve as a valuable resource for a modeler building a ship model in this era.  You have built a model that you will be proud of and will bring back many wonderful memories every time you look at it.  I am looking forward to your next build, whatever it may be.  Thanks for letting us follow along on this build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Most definitely an excellent and detailed build log for an equally excellent model,an absolute joy to follow!

Between you and @glbarlow I think everything needed to know has been discussed, tried and tweaked, before being used to great effect. 

Thank you Derek. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I can’t add any accolades that haven’t already been mentioned. Truly, a fabulous work of art! Also, I have mentioned before that there are logs that show us what the modeler has done, and there are logs that show us how the modeler did it. You are gracious enough to share your technique with us. I have taken many notes. Finally, you needn’t be modest about your photography; you’re doing just fine!

Tom

Great job Derek; she's a beauty!  And a great build log.  And yes, you showed us, in detail, in text (a lot) and photos (really exquisite at the Finishing Line), how you did it.  It will be my go-to when I start my Speedy.  Thank you for sharing.

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Congratulations, she’s a gorgeous build!  Really enjoyed following along and I’ve learned a lot (…now if I’ll be able to recall it when I need it that will be the true test 😁). 

16 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Thats really really nice work - congratulations. I started about the same time as you  - so now I shall go and sulk and then  start my second planking  !!!

Thanks Spyglass. I hope your build goes well - and I'm glad I'm only the second slowest builder on the planet!

Cheers, Derek

Thanks for your kind comments Glenn - much appreciated.

16 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Your photography has improved by leaps and bounds

I've tried to follow your advice on lighting, backgrounds and camera settings so I'm glad you've seen some improvement. I still need better lights, and the cloth background isn't uniform enough - I might try paper.

Cheers, Derek

14 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Congratulations Derek. ... I am looking forward to your next build, whatever it may be.  Thanks for letting us follow along on this build.

Thanks Ryland. I'm still tempted by the Medway Longboat whenever I see the beautiful pictures in your log, but I'm afraid it's going to have to wait in line behind Vanguard's Duchess of Kingston  and HMS Sphynx

Cheers, Derek

13 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Most definitely an excellent and detailed build log for an equally excellent model,an absolute joy to follow!

Thanks Edward - glad you enjoyed it. How's your Cutter build going?

Cheers, Derek

14 hours ago, druxey said:

Well done, Derek!

Thanks Druxey! Your books were always on my workbench as a constant source of information and inspiration, particularly during the rigging stage.

13 hours ago, chris watton said:

Your Speedy looks amazing, Derek, very well done!

Thanks Chris - I wanted to do your great kit justice.

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

I appreciate your kind words Tom.

11 hours ago, TBlack said:

I have taken many notes.

Sharing information is one of the great things about this forum - I've probably learned ten times more from other people than I could ever hope to put back.

Cheers, Derek

11 hours ago, drjeckl said:

It will be my go-to when I start my Speedy.  Thank you for sharing.

Thanks John. I'll look out for your build log.

10 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Congratulations, she’s a gorgeous build!  Really enjoyed following along and I’ve learned a lot (…now if I’ll be able to recall it when I need it that will be the true test 😁)

Thanks Tim. I couldn't believe how many techniques I had to relearn/re-invent on this build, simply because I hadn't recorded them in the past. As I've said before, the log has been as much for my benefit as anything, but I'm really glad you and other folk have found it helpful too.

1 hour ago, Rik Thistle said:

What a build...so much to take in and to such a sky-high standard!

Thanks Richard. I also need to thank you again for prompting me to get some lights and background material to improve my photography!

Cheers, Derek

12 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Congratulations Derek on completing a very fine build.

Those who follow on with this kit will derive great benefit from your log and shared experience.

Many thanks B.E.   I've bookmarked your work since I joined MSW and I've taken the quality of your models and logs as the standard to aspire to, so I particularly appreciate your kind comments.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

18 hours ago, DelF said:

One of Glenn's less successful efforts has been to help me improve my photography. His knowledge and advice are great; my abilities are not. Here's the results:

One amazing build and one your should be very proud of. Your build log has really helped me improve my modelling skills, especially with some of the rigging aspects.

Yesterday I bought a DSLR camera (an entry level Canon 4000 complete with a 18-55mm lens f/4 - 5.6) which I hope will enable to take some better photos for my next build. For the closer details I suspect I might need to invest in an macro lens (35mm or 100mm f/2.8 Macro). I would be interest to know what lens(s) you use for taking your photos. I will probably invest in some LED Lights for as well, something like these LED lights.

Thanks

The UK Glenn

Glenn (UK)

Thanks Glenn. I've learned from your logs too so it's definitely a two way street.

29 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

I would be interest to know what lens(s) you use for taking your photos. I will probably invest in some LED Lights for as well, something like these LED lights.

I use an elderly Nikon D90 with a 18 - 105mm lens, which seems to do OK for close-ups.

Those lights look identical to the ones I've got. They're OK, especially for close-ups and small objects but if money was no object I'd go for something larger to fully illuminate something the size of a model ship.

Cheers, Derek

It's an absolutely gorgeous finish, and I'm very glad to have this log to look through as I plod my way through my own build at a snail's pace. For tips and instruction, added details, and sheer inspirational eye candy, I couldn't ask for better. 

I too would like to take a crack at HMS Sphinx some day, and I am pleased to think that by the time I am finishing HMS Speedy, you'll be wrapping up that build!  

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

Beautiful work indeed, Derek.  Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with all of us.  It’s a blessing to have these kind of logs available for future reference.  I have Chris’ FLIRT kit waiting for me, so this log will be a terrific reference.  Beautiful model, congratulations on getting across the finish line.

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

6 hours ago, DelF said:

Thanks Edward - glad you enjoyed it. How's your Cutter build going?

It's  on hold for summer, as there's far too many distractions and Admiralty tasks to be completed,  leaving no time for the shipyard☹😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Crackin' Good Job Derek !  Can't wait to follow along with your next project.. 

Eamonn

BTW Your photography rocks too! I know how difficult these wee builds of ours are to photograph well ..

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks for the kind words James. 

20 hours ago, whitejamest said:

glad to have this log to look through as I plod my way through my own build

There's no such thing as too slow in my book, at least as far as model building is concerned. Take your time and enjoy it!

Cheers, Derek

19 hours ago, EKE said:

Beautiful work indeed, Derek.  Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with all of us.  It’s a blessing to have these kind of logs available for future reference.  I have Chris’ FLIRT kit waiting for me

Thanks Erik. You set a very high standard with your Lady Isabella build so I'm looking forward to your Flirt.

Cheers, Derek

18 hours ago, egkb said:

Crackin' Good Job Derek ! 

Thanks Eamonn! I might not be quite done yet as I'm seriously tempted to copy the display method you used on your splendid Ballahoo build. Showing her on the stocks like that really helps bring her to life. 

Cheers, Derek