HMS Speedy by Delf - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright edition

Waterlines are tricky and nice tip with the laser. I try to look at the marked waterline from various angles when i correct it. Taking photos also helps since then it becomes even more visual when its not completely straight. 

Regarding CA i have just discovered a New method that solves alot of problems. Scraping... on boxwood you dont need to be that carefull actually. Just scrape away a couple of microns and everything looks brand New. 🙂

I'm happy for you both - and happy for me not to 🙂

Far too tedious a task for me, even on a small ship, and in my opinion, I don't care for the look, historical accuracy aside.  

But again, I understand its modelers choice and glad you both are enjoying the process and your results.

We all get to be happy in our little wooden world...

4 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Yikes!! Does ventilation help?

Wearing a face mask and having a fan behind me blowing the fumes away has certainly helped. My nose has begun feeling a bit stuffy since I started coppering again, but nowhere near as bad as it was before when I was sneezing and my nose was running constantly. I still believe the best solution would be a vacuum system piped to the outside, but that will have to wait.

4 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

In my young days, I found old hack saw blades prefect for repurposing into tiny scrapers. Chuck (of Syren fame) uses sheet brass, due to the quickness of shaping the profile he wants.

Thanks for the suggestions Eric, I'll certainly try a piece of hacksaw blade. Brass works fine for me for scraping profiles - I'll try a small sheet as a flat scraper. 

2 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

I just find that a  good quality box knife  blade works quite nicely if just a flat scaper will do - I use it both for deck and hull.  Of  course that is another reason for me bleeding a lot on my builds

Thanks SpyGlass. I used a box knife blade for initial shaping on my second planking before sanding, but found it a bit hit & miss. But that may have been my technique - if you look at earlier Speedy pictures you'll see the bloodstains!

Derek

Hi Glenn

I just remembered this exchange we had a few weeks ago, and realised I'd done nothing about it. I've now saved my recently completed Pinnace log and this Speedy log to date. The only method I could find in Chrome was to save each page separately as a full web page. It didn't take long though, and all the text and pictures are now saved on my hard drive and external backup. Thanks again for prompting me to do this. By coincidence, just after I finished saving the logs I was trying out a scraper I'd made from a piece of brass sheet (thanks EricWilliamMarshall for the suggestion) when I remembered I'd used exactly the same method to finish the decks on my Royal Caroline - but that was years before I kept logs. 

The learning point for me was the value of keeping logs, not just for others' benefit but to save oneself having to reinvent the wheel all the time!

Derek

On 2/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, glbarlow said:

I did a very long and detailed logs of my Pegasus and Fair American builds that were lost in the big systems crash a few years ago.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, DelF said:

I'll certainly learn from your experience and keep offline copies from now on.

I have several dentist tools that come in handy for a lot of tasks - the scraper shown in this amazon listing (the one on the left in the photo) is one of my most used tools. It works great for scraping away extra glue. The other tools come in handy from time to time, like putting a drop of CA in a hard to reach place.

https://www.amazon.com/Dental-Scraper-Stainless-Remover-Cleaning/dp/B07XF4KQTL/ref=sr_1_19?crid=32L1T8YIOC1DH&dchild=1&keywords=dental+scraper+tool&qid=1586277043&sprefix=dental+scraper+tool%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-19

Edited by glbarlow

Thank you Edward, Chris, Glenn (X 2!), Eric and SpyGlass for your kind comments, and thanks as always for the 'likes'.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:39 PM, glbarlow said:

I have several dentist tools that come in handy for a lot of tasks

Good recommendation Glenn. Amazon don't sell this exact set in the UK but I managed to get something similar. I tried out the scraper that looks closest to the one you use and it worked perfectly for getting excess glue from the angle between the batten and the hull. It made it a lot easier getting the port batten fitted as I was comfortable using CA this time.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:28 PM, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Chuck (of Syren fame) uses sheet brass

Thanks again Eric for suggesting brass sheet for scraping excess glue. I particularly like this method as I can easily cut a piece of brass to the exact size and profile I need, and I've used a couple of these scrapers to tidy up the hull.

Derek

Slow but steady progress on the port coppering. IMG_1681.thumb.JPG.56594bc9a8ed049b47a712844d1480a1.JPG

IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.7060b677d9ccb24c6f68258af703f563.JPG

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.081c020fe12dbe027b4c8171bef41de0.JPG

I'm taking it slow because as I mentioned before I'm having to wear a mask to avoid adverse reactions to the CA and It gets very uncomfortable after a while. As a break, I've started preparing all the components for the 14 cannon. Being more used to 1/48 scale I'm finding the pieces TINY, to the extent that I can't assemble the carriages without assistance. I'm going to have to make up a little jig to hold everything in place while it's being glued. I tried to dry-fit a carriage (as described by Glenn in his Speedy log) but the pieces were so small and light I just couldn't get them to behave.

Oh well, at least it keeps me away from the CA for a bit.

Derek

Port side coppering finished😁. Not the best pictures - I'll try to get some better ones when I get to the next stages.

IMG_1734_edited-1.thumb.JPG.55faaf00669a0c9b29b4cfccbcafb3e4.JPG

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.a6bc4cd7eecd7328800d9167ebd30171.JPG

In the meantime I've made up a little jig to help assemble the gun carriages. Looking at this in close-up I can see the laser-cut components need a bit more tidying up!

IMG_1713_edited-1.thumb.JPG.262e4ed827f7aa30c1eb8ed69e124cc1.JPG

Derek

Limited progress this week as I've been taking advantage of the fine weather to get jobs done in the garden (that's manspeak for trying to cross off a few of my chores from my wife's lengthy list). 

First job was painting the wales and prow. I started by masking off the unpainted areas but made a mess of it. Paint seeped through in some places, and in other the tape pulled bits of paint off the top edge of the wales. I used good quality tamiya tape so I don't believe that was the problem. Rather, I think my mistake was applying several coats of matt polyurethane to the unpainted areas before painting the wales. Some of the varnish got onto the wales and prevented the acrylic adhering properly. So, after much sanding, cleaning and swearing I went back to basics and repainted the wales with as steady a hand as possible. The result is certainly better than my original attempt (which I was too disappointed to photograph ☹️). 

IMG_1779_edited-1.thumb.JPG.63242c6a2d9e13a4480228bf00451148.JPG

Meanwhile I've made some progress with the cannon, starting with a little jig to shape the cap squares. It's just a drill bit the same diameter as the trunnions, half-sunk into a groove in a piece of wood. Once in place I just use a thumbnail either side to press the little piece of photo-etch into shape. Just makes it a bit easier to fit to the carriage. As for that, I started using CA but found I couldn't always get the cap square sitting properly before the glue set, so now I use PVA. Not ideal but it's not load bearing so it shouldn't matter.

IMG_1708_edited-1.thumb.JPG.ad4ff98c4a406ec18ee46e06daa5a980.JPG

The cannon are coming along, but you'll see that the blackening process didn't work too well on the cap squares. I think it was because I tried to do too many small pieces all together, and I couldn't agitate them enough to get them all evenly treated. I'll touch up with Admiralty metal black when I've finished them all.

IMG_1780_edited-1.thumb.JPG.725e08d2d7f8bf0fd94e2fd828cbe2fe.JPG

Back to the chores!

Derek

Edited by DelF
Typo