Colin Archer no.414 By Sundt - Billing Boats - RADIO - polystyrene hull

28 minutes ago, coxswain said:

Welcome Sundt - I've always been intrigued by these big Colin Archer kits - will you be sailing it or just static?  Steve M

Thanks, Will be sailing. i hopefully finishing next year. 2020  hull work, 2021 rigg and remote control. In my house i start planing for storing fully rigged and easy access to bring the boat to the water 🙂 Cross my fingers. Then doing som house rehab, the time is 3 times my planned. Have made some internet search for the kit. haven't found to much, so now i will bring it on the net 🙂 

brgds Andreas

Edited by Sundt

• 2 weeks later...

A bit tricky to glue aft and front plywood to the  PS hull.  Strapping tape made my day. Next time i will preinstall the tape on the hull, not on the ply( glue then get dragged  outboard on the hull) I do that on the bow, the stern get nicer, the tape was applied to the hull first. 🙂 

IMG_9151.jpeg

IMG_9152.jpeg

IMG_9153.jpeg

IMG_9150.jpeg

Edited by Sundt
new picture inserted

• 4 weeks later...

never tried one of these plastic hull ships.....looks really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

my good man.....don't leave that in there.......it's to be savored  ;)   deck framing looks very good!  the Boulogne Etaples is set up much the same way......since I wasn't going to build an RC version,  I had a heck if a time covering the open area.  it wasn't build solid as this one was.  the deck showed the ugly lines........took some doing to get rid of them. {I really need to get back to it}.  

I see your into balsa planes too :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

19 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

my good man.....don't leave that in there.......it's to be savored  ;)   deck framing looks very good!  the Boulogne Etaples is set up much the same way......since I wasn't going to build an RC version,  I had a heck if a time covering the open area.  it wasn't build solid as this one was.  the deck showed the ugly lines........took some doing to get rid of them. {I really need to get back to it}.  

I see your into balsa planes too :) 

I love the smell of wood. have built some modelaeroplane from stevensaero (off topic) . the bottle will be opened then the hull is close to finished, or i feel it's finished 🙂 I will follow your built if it´s in here. Thanks for following !

60383374226__9033E3DE-1A53-4E91-830B-797ADADEF3D1.jpeg

very nice :wub:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The Billings kits seem generally to have quite scanty instructions.  BUT, that did not stop me from buying a Colin Archer '414' kit in January!  A chap in Stavanger, Norway had bought it about 10 years ago and did not get around to starting the build.  He decided to make some space in his storeroom and sell the kit.   I have built the stand and stained/oiled it.  I plan to start other build-processes around Easter 2020.  I am in the process of building a Fisher 34 motorsailer from Model Boats plans service. The plan is actually for a Fisher 46 aft cabin so I have modified it a bit. Started last September.  I owned a Fisher 34 (full size) many years ago and have often thought of building a R/C model of it.  Some photos of the construction progress are on the Model Boats forum in UK.

I look forward to following the build of your Colin Archer.  Hope you show the internal sail winches and control lines. I have bought 2 Graupner winch-servos for mine.  Plan to let the mizzen sail be free and only restrained by a light guage elastic.  I've seen one or two 'build-bloggs' on the www. from two different modellers in Germany. They are quite critical of the scanty instructions....though the kit is not aimed at first-time builders, so maybe this explains it. Both managed to build great models in the end.  One guy only took 4 months to complete.

George, Norway

On 2/28/2020 at 8:10 AM, Geam said:

The Billings kits seem generally to have quite scanty instructions.  BUT, that did not stop me from buying a Colin Archer '414' kit in January!  A chap in Stavanger, Norway had bought it about 10 years ago and did not get around to starting the build.  He decided to make some space in his storeroom and sell the kit.   I have built the stand and stained/oiled it.  I plan to start other build-processes around Easter 2020.  I am in the process of building a Fisher 34 motorsailer from Model Boats plans service. The plan is actually for a Fisher 46 aft cabin so I have modified it a bit. Started last September.  I owned a Fisher 34 (full size) many years ago and have often thought of building a R/C model of it.  Some photos of the construction progress are on the Model Boats forum in UK.

I look forward to following the build of your Colin Archer.  Hope you show the internal sail winches and control lines. I have bought 2 Graupner winch-servos for mine.  Plan to let the mizzen sail be free and only restrained by a light guage elastic.  I've seen one or two 'build-bloggs' on the www. from two different modellers in Germany. They are quite critical of the scanty instructions....though the kit is not aimed at first-time builders, so maybe this explains it. Both managed to build great models in the end.  One guy only took 4 months to complete.

George, Norway

i see that kit on the marked 🙂 Thanks, i will post my progress, from glue, stain, photos from a real Collin Archer  or changes i do, haven't find any photo or video of the rigging. I want som details, so hopefully a got som nice pictures in the end. Just ask if more information is needed , i then changes the text bellow the pictures 🙂 

• 1 month later...

Glued some more tonight. Deck installed. Tomorrow i will see the result 🙂 Before gluing, i made a clamp and installed weights    2- times. 10 min first time, 7 min second time 😉

Then applied glue, clamp in mast hole and around opening in deck. Weights , and tape on edges around the boat

IMG_0369.jpeg

A4C667A6-0B3A-4B9B-92DB-2FA2A72002BD.jpeg

Edited by Sundt
Added text

8 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

It's been a while since I looked in, but she's certainly coming along nicely.

John

thanks, I needed some inspiration, grabbed some sticks in the box, she will be lovely 🙂 

IMG_0375.HEIC Colin Archer.HEIC

Photos.jpg

Edited by Sundt
Picture not visible

My next question is making the deck planking including 0,6mm caulking1:15(8-9mm), deck layouts is important when planking. The outer dollbord is oak i think. Have to collect som information before installing reiling? I think its nice to finish the deck including outboard Dollbord, sanded and some oak/ mahagoni stain where needed. 

Outboard dollbord glued on, it was a bit difficult, but after some test fit, its installed 🙂 Happy easter from Norway

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

Ship ahoy. I glued the center plank first, need more research on the web, watching pictures and youtube. To get a idea of the layout. No need to be 100%  My boat will have around 48 deck planking, the original colin archer have 45. Two evenings work made 5 of 48. I hope the idea of permanent marker on the edge of wood planking looks good then finished 😉 

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg