Colin Archer no.414 By Sundt - Billing Boats - RADIO - polystyrene hull

Hi Sundt.

I am just building the RS-1 from a similar old Billing kit myself. In these corona times progress is picking up, but have generally been slow , started in Nov. 18

Status now is finished hull, remote control, deck houses/hatches, masts and booms. We could perhaps exhange experiences if convenient. I supply a link to a ppt building log you can look at if interested:

https://cloud.elkjop.no/s/2061711a437d95546ce961935eb299f5107

Best regards

Carsten

Husøy, Tønsberg

On 4/23/2020 at 12:49 AM, Carsten S said:

Hi Sundt.

I am just building the RS-1 from a similar old Billing kit myself. In these corona times progress is picking up, but have generally been slow , started in Nov. 18

Status now is finished hull, remote control, deck houses/hatches, masts and booms. We could perhaps exhange experiences if convenient. I supply a link to a ppt building log you can look at if interested:

https://cloud.elkjop.no/s/2061711a437d95546ce961935eb299f5107

Best regards

Carsten

Husøy, Tønsberg

Thanks a lot Carsten 🙂 you are close to me in Sandefjord. Lovely pictures, hopefully next summer we can sail together. Just now i am making my hobby room better for building boat and model airplanes. Need to store som model airplanes too 😉 be able to glue my boat, repair and maintenance of aircrafts after hard landings 🙂  perhaps we meet soon. 

IMG_0751.jpeg

Hi Sundt...and Carsten S, 

I have not looked in on this site for some weeks. Nice to see your RS1 in build. Great detail photos to help others (me?) do the build. I have not started mine yet (also a 414 PS). The Fisher 34  I am building has taken much longer than expected. 

I am also building a Krick (Robbe) Comtesse yacht while waiting for glue or paint  to dry on parts of the Fisher 34.  Not allowed by SWIMBO to build 3 yachts at the same time in our apartment! So have to finish the Comtesse first to make space to start the  RS1. 

It will be great to see photos of both your Colin Archers sailing together (errrr.... 2 meters apart) during the summer.  I am in Stavanger so too far to drive just to have a look.  

Happy sailing, stay well,

George

Hi Sundt...and Carsten S, 

I have not looked in on this site for some weeks. Nice to see your RS1 in build. Great detail photos to help others (me?) do the build. I have not started mine yet (also a 414 PS). The Fisher 34  I am building has taken much longer than expected. 

I am also building a Krick (Robbe) Comtesse yacht while waiting for glue or paint  to dry on parts of the Fisher 34.  Not allowed by SWIMBO to build 3 yachts at the same time in our apartment! So have to finish the Comtesse first to make space to start the  RS1. 

It will be great to see photos of both your Colin Archers sailing together (errrr.... 2 meters apart) during the summer.  I am in Stavanger so too far to drive just to have a look.  

Happy sailing, stay well,

George

Any of you thinking of building a "Nordlandsjolle" which the RS1 uses as  a dinghy (jolle) to row ashore with?  Asked the museum but they only had a drawing of a "Lofotjolle" which seems to have a higher bow. There are some photos of a "Nordlansdjolle" on the CA RS1 gallery. I think I have seen a RS1 with a dinghy on tow on Youtube for 'Colin Archer Modell Yachts'.

George

deck is looking great....very nice job :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely planking Andreas, I think my deck will be 'look-a-like' plank using pencil lines. I have done this on my Fisher 34 decks and considering it's the first time I've tried it, I am very pleased with the result.

I also did some varnish tests. I have not stained the Fisher decks but oiled them with many coats of  Owatrol D1. Later I varnished with Owatrol D2 to seal them properly.  Silk-matt finish can be acheived by only using D1 oil.  I stained the bulwark top capping with teak stain and then applied the same D1 and D2 treatment. D2 is supposed to be flexible and non-cracking when completely dried. I must say I am not an expert at this and have no experience with deck preparation. Although I did use D1 oil on the bulwarks of my full-size Fisher 34 in 1986!

George

What a great build! It's inspirational to see such quick progress.

What glue are you using to join your wood to wood pieces? I'm looking to sail my Oseberg model when it's done and am researching which waterproof glues are used in RC boats at the moment (though my Oseberg won't be RC, just needs to float).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again Andreas, I hope your CA RS1 build is still progressing. I have been looking at my 414 kit in the cellar store room (kjellerbod!). I see that my kit has TWO complete sheets of shaped 1mm ply for the deck. I think this must be a mistake? Can you remember if your kit had 2 complete shaped ply sheets for the deck? I think the part number is '18' .  

Regards, George

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:45 AM, Geam said:

Hello again Andreas, I hope your CA RS1 build is still progressing. I have been looking at my 414 kit in the cellar store room (kjellerbod!). I see that my kit has TWO complete sheets of shaped 1mm ply for the deck. I think this must be a mistake? Can you remember if your kit had 2 complete shaped ply sheets for the deck? I think the part number is '18' .  

Regards, George

Thats right, only 1 sheet in my kit.  Just bought some parts for a smaler Colin Archer, my fathers old model boat from the 50th´s need new rig and some sail. hopfully it fit, and we make it together then winter is coming 🙂

OK thanks Andreas, I see that one of the deck sheets has a small flaw in it (a round, red-coloured mark in the middle of the foredeck) so maybe Billing just threw in a new one without taking out the other.  I have done the first few steps on my CA RS1 but that lives in the 'kjellerbod' most of the time. I am keen to get the Fisher 34 built so only had a few short sessions so far on the RS1.  I hope next summer will see Fisher and RS1 side by side, The hulls are quite similar in shape. 

Sende bilder av RS1 'jolla'.

20200707_113202.thumb.jpg.92f6e6cf2aef32004bc586853bba965f.jpg

20200707_113214.thumb.jpg.fc85c1d9ae4124ab63a64b2db933c41e.jpg

Regards, George

20200707_113303.thumb.jpg.656e7a9b8f24f4b593666b45bed8f21f.jpg

Biuld start 070720.jpg

Yes Sarik. Don't think they say the  scale -just length. It is 9" =ca 25cm (incl rudder) x 11 beam. They make only the plastic hull, the rest is up to you!  It's not quite the right shape but I think it's an easy way to get a 'Jolle' which looks OK. Send photo of the bare hull beside the CA hull. 

Regards, George

20200625_113414.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Question for Andreas or Carsten....Does the white part of the hull actually need to be PAINTED white?   Or is it only necessary to paint the 'antifouling' (hull red) at and below the waterline and the red stripe at the top of the hull?

Thanks Carsten, some of the photos of Andreas' hull look as though it has been polished nice and shiny :-)) The full size RS1 seems more like a silk-matte finish. My kit is pretty old and I think it may be even more matte due to ageing. Maybe I'll try airbrushing in gloss acrylic. That will give a silk finish if I don't spray on too wet. I can test on the inside of the hull first! 

I hoped to see some photos of yours and Andreas' RS1's on the water. Are you both still building?

Regards, George

12 minutes ago, Geam said:

Maybe I'll try airbrushing in gloss acrylic.

Acrylics do not completely durable without a clear coat to protect them from damage unless the model is for static display. You could spray an acrylic color and then clear coat it with a gloss varnish and you would have a glossy finish that is hard and would protect the acrylic paint. I had good luck spraying Vallejo Acrylic Air on the hull of my Pen Duick model and then clear coated it with Vallejo Varnish. Their varnishes come in flat, satin and gloss. I used a mixture of satin and gloss to get a semi-gloss finish. Vallejo acrylics and varnishes are water based too which I prefer.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I start building closer to the winter, still 17 C in the sea. And flying RC aircrafts 🙂 

I will try to get som photos of the RS 1. Need to travel 2h, hopefully it will show the color of the original hul and deck. and some nice details. My boat, i think it's to glossy. Back on track later 🙂