Colin Archer no.414 By Sundt - Billing Boats - RADIO - polystyrene hull

Hi Bob, many thanks for the info'. I thought I answered you two nights ago (2330 here in Norway) but I see this morning  that it was not sent. I have sent you a PM instead so I don't clogg up Sundt's own building thread with my painting problems.

Regards George

Hi Andreas,  on some 1:1  RS1 photos the hull finish looks very matte. I wondered if your hull was painted/sprayed gloss? or have you just shined it up with car polish?! A nice shine looks good on a model -even if it's not as the original.  I look forward to seeing more of your building photos when you get back to "work".

Regards, George 

For me its okay with other posting George as long its about the Colin Archer 1:15 builds, details, adds and so on. I have newer done anything with it color  🙂 just out of the box. perhaps its will be shine or painted. that's the last work i will do on the boat.  Will be lovely to start again. my problem is to many details i want to put in. Need lights in cabin and mast 🙂 

Brgds Andreas

Hi George,
I think that white gloss is right. Gloss makes sense to me since it is easier to maintain and keep clean than matt or silk like texrures. I serched the web for photos of "the real thing" and found some of RS1 and some vessels of similar types, see below.

My model.

image.png.f4f19ba35643a8105296478b7d7996c0.png

RS 1

image.png.8c7cc2ce7c7fd3b978b8a39042d6aa85.png

A similar but smaller CA type
image.png.d06b56d258f3e007b245953ec937aa8c.png

The paint I used.

image.png.d76b354080e2de7a244a54190f80dbee.png

Andreas, I think Carsten is selling gloss paint on your thread😬. But it's for a good cause so I suppose it's OK.   Yes, a gloss finish will be easier to keep clean and nobody will say that it's not the right 'look'. Carstens hull looks good I think.   Andreas' RS1  has 'gloss-look' right out of the box! 

I have started a scratch build log in this forum so I can show my present scratch build project. Also because I have exchanged info with BobG about airbrushing. I will also show some photos of my RS1 progress when I get it up from the cellar storage.  I will not even try to compete with Andreas' excellent photo-build-blog of the RS1 which will soon be in 'full swing' again.  Hope we will see 'formation sailing' of two RS1 next spring?

Kind regards to you both,

George 

Hi again Carsten and Andreas, I hope I wasn't misunderstood. My comment about 'selling paint' was supposed to be humorous. Carsten was kindly showing the paint he used to get a good gloss finish. I was planning on asking him what he used. Bengalack gives a very hard, gloss finish and it flows out very well.

Kind regards,

George

I've been following this thread with interest because I have recently bought an old,  partly built 414 kit . I have found that the BB kit has some issues of which the wrongly shaped catheads, parts 38 (414) or 57  (728 ) is one.

Caner: The instructions of the latest 728 kit can be found here :

https://www.pelikandaniel.com/dld/3BB7028_Colin_Archer_Instructions.pdf

Some time ago an ABS hull was offered for sale on ebay by a German. I would advise you to check ebay regularly.

Regards,

Arjan

Hi George, the rear end of the BB catheads should be rounded off on the top side only. The straight front end of the BB parts should be rounded off and a roller should be added.

The parts from the instructions :

JNbTl0w.png

TahUusq.jpg

This is what they should look like :

tYx1HnD.jpg

SBvcJbK.jpg

pLLF3vJ.jpg

I hope I've made myself clear.

Regards,

Arjan

• 1 month later...

I will start a bit later, have to visit the RS1, take some pictures of deck and equipment next week hopfully.

My boat i thinkIMG_4474.thumb.jpeg.512da9d1a57aa6ad42544742587ea54a.jpeg will be ready summer 2022. Will need some photos next summer of rig and mast. Have discovered that upper part of main mast is a bit fwd. se my pictures from the book. RS1.  

https://flyt.no/shop/?orderby=price-desc 

IMG_4475.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hi Andreas, thanks for all your kind comments on the Fisher 34. Good to read that you will be visiting the full size CA soon. It will be full size sailing season very soon too, so I expect you will be too busy to build model yachts until after the summer? 

When I finish the small details on the Fisher (posting mainly on forum www.modelboatsmagazine@co.uk)  I will take the CA up from the cellar store (bod!) and work on that. I don't think I'll post much on the CA as you and Carsten are doing enough on it already. 

Have a good summer! +7*C and NW 12-15 m/sec in Stavanger today!  brrrrrr.

George

• 1 month later...

Hi Andreas, just want to let you know that I asked Tor Erling Gransæther (yesterday evening) for colour codes for the interior of th RS1. He has posted new interior photos on the CA gallery. I might try to add some interior detail if I can hide the R/C gear under the benches and in the lockers etc. I think the Rx and Rx battery may go into the 'heads' compartment OK. The ESC will probably go into one of the STBD lockers. and maybe I can hide the drive battery under a false floor - or below the galley table!

The green is NCS 1050-G10Y. the trim colour is black. The cabin deck (dørk) is oak plank. 

Have a good summer!

George

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, Geam said:

Hi Andreas, just want to let you know that I asked Tor Erling Gransæther (yesterday evening) for colour codes for the interior of th RS1. He has posted new interior photos on the CA gallery. I might try to add some interior detail if I can hide the R/C gear under the benches and in the lockers etc. I think the Rx and Rx battery may go into the 'heads' compartment OK. The ESC will probably go into one of the STBD lockers. and maybe I can hide the drive battery under a false floor - or below the galley table!

The green is NCS 1050-G10Y. the trim colour is black. The cabin deck (dørk) is oak plank. 

Have a good summer!

George

Thanks a lot. My work take all my time 🙂 But i charged my camera with a new lens and fresh batteries. Will visit the boat nekt time in Oslo. have tried, but the boat was in different location this summer. My son moved to Oslo just now. Will start this winter again 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Mr Sundt,

I am building Billings' Colin Archer RS1 in wood for RC.  I have never done RC for anything.  Can you tell me what RC components you used since Billings says where to put them but not what they are and I have no idea how to size them.  The articles I've seen seem to assume that I know something about RC (which I don't).

Thanks for any help

Doug McKenzie

PS I built a scratch model of Leon which is now in the museum at Tollerodden Foundation in Larvik.  That might be near you I have no idea since I'm from New Jersey, USA.

• 9 months later...