San Francisco 2 by fish - Artesania Latina

Ha, Aaron, I am so glad that you are learning from my mistakes instead of repeating them :P

I am happy to know I serve a purpose here lol :D

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Well, it will be my turn sooner or later ;)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

I've been really busy the past couple of weeks. I plan on staining next weekend.

Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Update:

So I finally got around to staining the hull, I tested a few stains and decided to go with the cherry stain.  It was not too dark, I wanted to be careful not to go to dark because over time the wood will darken naturally.  I was also concerned because I used the kit supplied mahogany to line the bulkheads and I was worried that the stains would not go well together, but luckily they did.  I don't think I need to put a second coat of stain on.  I also was able to get matching wood filler and it matches the stain very well.  I did some filling tonight but I will probably continue to do it as I see places that need it.

-Aaron

post-245-0-53593800-1362356321_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-02771100-1362356351_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-70701600-1362356392_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-16568300-1362356417_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-26536300-1362356444_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Looks good Aaron. Cherry is such a sweet wood and your stain is not too dark to hide the variations of the wood. Nice!

Where did you find the wood? It seems like most of the suppliers that I found sell basswood, balsa and maybe some other light woods but no exotics or hardwoods.

Randy

Randy,

Here is the link, they only sell cherry veneers and shockingly I got a roll of about 365 for $20.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=40840&cat=1,250,43217

-Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Thanks Robbyn, sorry about your hand I'm glad there is no permanent damage.

Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Hopefully he won't mind, but I think I am going to stain the rubbing strakes ebony like desert wolf did. I really like the way his turned out and I think my hull is light enough that it will provide a good contrast.

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

For all you San Fran builders out there check out this rendition:

http://www.modelismonaval.com/magazine/galeonsantaisabel/galeonsantaisabel.html

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Aaron,

Regarding the strakes, what's that phrase... 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' or some such verbiage.

Truth is, I like the look too and will probably either stain or switch woods to get the effect.

About the link of modelismo... looks like this guy changed all the metal to wood but so much more. His boat is shaped like the SF but WOW. Some things to consider...

Randy

Edited by lamarvalley

Love the look of your cherry hull, used a little figured cherry on some assorted parts and love the look,ales me wish I could re-do my hull in it. Great job

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

All,

Looks like I won't be doing much else until the middle of next month, I am going through shipbuilding withdrawal.  I have been so busy that life is just getting into the way of my hobby!

Well people before projects right?

I will be eagerly watching your builds and hopefully I will get back on track this spring!

Cheers,

Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Thanks for the compliment, I will have to check I do not recall.

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Aaron, Enjoy these days of your life...there will be plenty of time for model building in the middle somewhere.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update but I have been working on the build whenever I have time. I have planked the inside of the bulwarks and I am ready to stain. I have also planked many of the smaller pieces such as the poopdeck with cherry and have stained them. I have aquired gun-port-cutting phobia from Robbyn and I have been thinking and planning on how to install the rubbing strakes and the rest of the timber on the hull.

I will add pictures latter, this site doesn't like the pictures from my phone.

Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Photos from previous post.

post-245-0-68636900-1365787191_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-40895200-1365787198_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Looks Good Aaron

Somehow I lost his log. It must of moved to the bottom of the list while life got in the way, don't you hate when that happens. I guess when I didn't see your build log linked, I was thinking I remembered it from pre-MSW2 meltdown. Anyway glad I found it again.

I'm glad I took your advise on Lee Valley and the cherry veneer. Glad you got a bit of time to build also, I know for me its a release valve, way cheaper and more efffective then a therapist.

Good to see you back Aaron, hope you enjoyed your little break but wanted you to know I for one have missed you here :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Update:

So I had some free time last night and I got some tools in from Model-Expo that I "needed" :)

I installed all four of the horizontal rubbing strakes after staining them ebony.  I got my electric plank bender in yesterday and used it to form the curves for the strakes.  So far I am happy with it, I was using the Micromark "plank-forming-jig" which worked ok, but the gaps between each jig caused the wood to splinter.  Before, I found that using a jar as a template and using clips as much as possible also avoided splintering.  

The white background makes the boat look really red which it is not.  I need to find a better background for pictures.  The contrast of the black strakes against the cherry looks really good, I can't wait to see how well it looks once I installed the vertical strakes.  The one strake terminated a little lower on the stern than the other so I will have to adjust it up a little prior to completing all of the other parts on the stern.

I also built the poopdeck last night, all I did was measure the length of the outside of the deck and divided it by the 19 posts, which ended up with a post very 14 mm.

-Aaron

post-245-0-85619100-1366476654_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-74684700-1366476658_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-61043700-1366476661_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-74061400-1366476664_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Thanks Robbyn,

The cherry has turned out better than I expected, and the ebony strakes really make a good contrast.  You really can't beat the price for the veneers from Lee Valley, one tube is probably close to a lifetime supply :)

Its really fun to watch the concurrent builds of this kit, you get to see how everyone is doing things different and the different outcomes such as color and style, it makes the build a lot more fun. 

-Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf: