San Francisco 2 by fish - Artesania Latina

The ebony is great, I would say its a must have for any future builders. Just got to convince AL to put cherry and ebony into their kits. I hard a hard time pulling the trigger on the gun ports myself. I installed all of my strakes prior to the ports. I think I measured twenty times said a prair and then went for it.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Update,

I have worked on and completed most of the details of the stern, I have finished and installed my rudder but I have yet to install the pins to hold it in place.

I have a quandary:  The limber boards that act as the railings for the ship do not seem to fit correctly, the instructions show the rails overlapping the (bowling pin looking things) on one rail and I dry fitted and they don't appear to be the correct thickness to do that.  So I was thinking that I would ditch the kit supplied applewood and use some of the left over cherry I have.  It is actually thicker but if I double up the railings in the one spot they should be the correct height to overlap the bowling pins as I will call them until someone corrects me.  This may or may not look good, I guess I will have to dry fit them and see.

Here are some pics of the stern.

-Aaron

post-245-0-46121600-1367194075_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-12191800-1367194086_thumb.jpg

Edited by fish

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Are you talking the Cherry veneer strips? I used the cherry venner to laminate basswood for my deck stringers and it worked well. I had to use the basswood as laminating 3 or 4 layers of cherry to get the 2mm thickness and then bending to the bow curvature wouldn't work.

I think the bowling pins are spindles?

https://www.google.com/search?q=spindles&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4-Z9Uay3Hu7v0QH_5gE&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1140&bih=871

your not talking belaying pins?

https://www.google.com/search?q=spindles&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4-Z9Uay3Hu7v0QH_5gE&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1140&bih=871#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=belaying+pins&oq=belaying+pins&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l2.26304.29356.0.30291.13.9.0.4.4.0.139.1137.0j9.9.0...0.0...1c.1.11.img.VUxzf6Qz6Yw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.dmQ&fp=aaf17f23443c0d29&biw=1140&bih=871

Aaron, which railing are you talking about?

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Eric,

These are the railings I am talking about, I may have to make my own railings from basswood and the cherry veneers Keith mentioned. 

Keith,

I have some cherry sheets I have been using but they are pretty thick, I can go get some thin basswood from a craft store and plank it with the cherry, good idea thanks!

-Aaron

Edited by fish

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Aaron, ok, I am not sure you want your limber boards to hang over the pinracks. You will actually have to tie off your rigging to the belaying pins (the bowling pin looking things) and if your limber board is in the way it may cause you problems. I placed my flush to the interior side of the bulwarks, and it extends out a bit on the outside where it won't interfere with rigging lines.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

I was referring to the small pieces of round wood that are part of the railings which attach to the tops of both bulwarks, the same as what is used on the poopdeck.  But, I get what you are saying, whatever I end up doing, I should consider the belaying pins and the rigging that will attach :)

-A

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

So I am still working on the railings with no success yet.  As most of your SF builders know, the kit supplied timber for the railings is too thick and does not line up properly with each other.  I first tried to make my own railing out of the left over cherry I had but it ended up being pretty thick, so I got some thin basswood this weekend and planked them with the cherry veneers.  I still run into the problem of the railings lining up properly and I think I will have to manipulate the thickness on certain rails to make it work.  Its a major pain because it takes a long time to make each rail since I have to cut, plank and stain.

Boy those other kits I have are tempting :)

-Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Some how my railings matched, I just sanded the bowling pin thingies to match height/angle of the adjoining rails. Hope this helps. Cherry is much prettier so your bash would be an improvement. Watch out for those other kits once the get your attention it's really hard to go back. Once I started with my snake it took me three weeks to even look at my San Fran.

P.S.

Crosby is lookin good, the rest of the team needs to stop watching him play, and chip in.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

Eric,

The railings are a pain!  I am still trying to figure out how to tackle them and make it look acceptable, honestly I need a day to just sit and work on it.  So which build do you like better the SF or the snake?

PS Crosby is playing great but the rest of the team stinks!  If they continue to play this way I give them a 50/50 shot at winning the series and probably losing in the next round.  They played playoff hockey all year and now they are just sloppy.  if they go out in the first round the coach will be gone.

-Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

The snake is more accurate. I feel like my efforts on the snake will make for a more accurate model, but the San Fran feels more like a decoration.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

I also looked at the railings and figured they will be a pain. While I was planking over the bulwarks I realised that the slopes at different decks were not parallel and that the rails will not line up like the ones shown on the box or in that set of criptic notes more commonly referred to as the instructions. So I filed the bulwarks down in certain areas so that the slopes at the different decks are parallel where the railings overlap.

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys! 31 feels pretty old! I have taken a summer hiatus from building while we are preparing for our baby in October. I usually do a little here and there when I have time. Once the baby's room is ready and the weather is not so nice I will be back at it full swing!

Aaron

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

Aaron, happy birthday!!!! I hope you are enjoying it!

post-127-0-87058000-1373409466.gif

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No I have not given up.  I just have found since having a baby I have very little time for the hobbies I love.  Also, my wife has taken over my work space with her sewing machine!  Second baby is due next march so who knows when I will get back to it!

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

• 2 weeks later...

So we cleaned up the basement and I setup a separate space for her sewing machine so building will be restarting soon!

Edited by fish

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

So we cleaned up the basement and I setup a separate space for her sewing machine so building will be restarting soon!

I am glad to see you are back... I will follow you...

Currently building
San Francisco II by Artesania Latina 

My first wooden model ship

Next building

San Francisco II Section by Artesania Latina

Wish List

US Constellation by Artesania Latina

Aaron, that is great news!!! Can't wait to see some progress!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

• 10 months later...

Hi All, whoever is left out there. So saying the past two years have been busy would be a huge understatement. We now have two babies, had our house renovated, and started a new business. Needless to say this hobby has been neglected. I recently finished the gun ports on the starboard side. I installed the gun doors and I have begun working on the vertical rubbing strakes. It seems that I may run out of applewood before I finish both sides. Pictures to follow soon.

I'm contemplating taking this model right up to rigging and then shelving it for the time being, it was a lot to take on a three mast ship and it may be better for me to work on my AVS. We will see..the simple plans of mice and men oft go awry.

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

• 2 weeks later...

So after sitting for two years I decided that I wanted to add another coat of stain onto my hull and other cherry parts. I also have cut in all of the gun ports on the starboard side and installed the rubbing strikes. The instructions seem to indicate that I should double up on the wood of the three vertical strikes. This is where I am concerned I may run out of applewood.

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

You know she looks beautiful! I do hope you continue, rather than shelve her

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I do like the rubbing strakes, the dark wood against the lighter tone wood of your planks looks great. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY finished all of the gun ports! It only took 1.5 years. I've already started the vertical rubbing strakes we will see if I have enough timber to finish.

post-245-0-39280000-1450838825_thumb.jpeg

post-245-0-43566300-1450838837_thumb.jpeg

Current Build:

On the Shelf:

If you are short a couple pieces of wood, just holler I have extra stuff from mine, I will be happy to send it if I have what you need hun.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station