Finished - F-15E Strike Eagle by CDW - Pro Modeler - 1:48

CDW

Same as mark   -  respect to him  RIP.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

An interesting side story about my cousin Wallace...one time in the year+ while he was recovering in a field hospital in Italy, he watched from his hospital window while a crew of sea bees worked to build a runway. A flight of German bombers attacked the site as Wallace watched the sea bee workmen scramble from their equipment to reinforced shelter. After he had healed, the war had ended and everyone was home, he talked with his brother about his war experiences and told about the incident just described. Come to find out, one of the men he watched scramble to shelter was his very own brother. They had been at the same camp and never even found out until after the war had ended. 

I went ahead and "Liked" both your original post and the followup post about your cousin. But like Mark I feel it is for your memory of him not his passing. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm  sorry to hear about your cousin's passing,  condolences to you and your family.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

My condolences, too, Craig. Not many of the Greatest Generation left. I salute them all.👍

Yeah, the Phantom was known to be supersonic on the deck, despite the airspeed/mach meter saying not. A phenomenon of  all the angles and sharp points. Those photos you see of F-4/14/15/16 and others with the visible shock cone are suitable proof. Never flew a Mudhen, but did snivel a hop or two in the F-15B. Thought I died and went to fighter pilot heaven. :D

You are going to load this one up for bear, aren't you?  ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Because of all the fine engraved detail on this model, it lends itself well to a panel line wash.

You can see where I've started washing away the excess wash in between the panel lines using a q-tip dampened with white spirits.

DSCN3334.thumb.JPG.eee5e4f7112232fb104306a3ef366b9f.JPGDSCN3335.thumb.JPG.8646707bca9b5aa96e6da1e56452eb76.JPGDSCN3336.thumb.JPG.46c9a556650bdc5250b7ddc4ac64cfa1.JPGDSCN3337.thumb.JPG.1d4059833d8e223c56012608a1b896c9.JPG

This is looking sweet mate  - the paint work and the  panel detailing  looks superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

As promised  -  two  C's  and  an E.

OC.

DSC_3549-Edit.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

sorry to hear of your cousin...condolences to you and your family :( 

plane's look'in really sweet.........panel lines are awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The F-15 was one of my favorites to watch.  When I moved out here to Oregon, they were in the hands of the National Guard (I think) at Klamath Falls.  They'd fly into Medford (my office was just across the street from the airport), do some touch and goes, sometimes a complete stop, turn around and take off again.  I loved it when they lift off, pull the wheels up point nose up and hit the afterburners... darn things climbed straight up until they were out side.  

Your doing a bang-up job, Craig.  Love it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 minutes ago, CDW said:

DSCN3340.thumb.JPG.8a569139f5b038dc1666f45fe2bd7368.JPGDSCN3341.thumb.JPG.a32eadd301e2c7af91aa8b85d4eb9174.JPGDSCN3342.thumb.JPG.51b5a14b74a80675945830c815e03184.JPGDSCN3343.thumb.JPG.a43bbc447946f00005e75c7a0a8eaa76.JPGDSCN3344.thumb.JPG.4e853dfa9cae7ab895c6de770919118f.JPGDSCN3345.thumb.JPG.de10e7f883b11e08815798d90010fd2f.JPG

Looking Superb Craig  one of your very best  out of all those I have seen  of yours.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

Looking Superb Craig  one of your very best  out of all those I have seen  of yours.

OC.

Thank you OC. 

Seriously, it's the paint. Mr. Color paint is THE BEST, period. Nothing else is like a good lacquer finish and Mr. Color gives that in spades.

Plus, this old Monogram Pro Modeler F-15E was a really well fitting kit. Like I said before, an exceptional value for the money. Nowadays, you will have to settle for a Revell F-15E. It's the same kit with different ordnance and decals. The Revell of Germany release had the same Pro Modeler decals and ordnance but it's OOP right now.

Just now, Javlin said:

You can crank them out Craig she's looking good the decals and stencils will add some more colors.Seriously one day when the camera is out I would enjoy a peek at the built stash :imNotWorthy: Kevin

Just now, mtaylor said:

Your doing a bang-up job, Craig.  Love it.

Thanks guys for your kind words.

Javlin, you'll be disappointed by my "collection" because I rarely ever keep a model once it's finished. I either give them away or sell them. My pleasure comes from building them. Once they're done, I'm done, and it's on to the next one. 

Added the afterburners and wheels. The speed brake on top of the fuselage is temporarily photoed in the closed position, but will be cemented in the open position along with an open canopy for final display.

To add some nuance, I used a highly diluted (1 part paint : 4 parts reducer) lighter shade of gray (neutral gray) to shade between the panel lines of the entire aircraft. It's not intended to be highly noticeable, but if you compare this version, it should look slightly lighter in shade of gray than the previous set of photos.

The afterburners are a multi colored affair, starting with stainless steel, then dark aluminum, then titanium, then burnt iron. All that got a black wash.

DSCN3346.thumb.JPG.71145565c2c0d3e8ec7523aa1dfb4560.JPGDSCN3347.thumb.JPG.e202d75b5f2caf9d7cb61442845f8745.JPGDSCN3348.thumb.JPG.c4435a6e1fb91eb3c9199ae8b2a0507d.JPGDSCN3349.thumb.JPG.e06e2475bb9ba332c9b2e8aa7ac7fe46.JPGDSCN3350.thumb.JPG.b720e29e33e52844d6c9a66ccea95a94.JPGDSCN3352.thumb.JPG.671d04bd64d1ebbe6b423c572b5f4968.JPG 

Such a gorgeous build, and that paint job is superb.

Does make me miss the old Air Superiority scheme with light & dark gray (if not the painting of all the soft edges :) )

Although that does bring up an issue when you get to the Tomcat.  Of whether to go with one of the original production paint schemes, or to go with the LoViz (also known in the fleet as "easter egg" as the precat paint never color matched, ever).

Outstanding build--just needs some scruffians in ABU to pre-flight it.

I started to work on the decals tonight, but got bad news. My decals are shot. All of them, and I had two separate sets of aftermarket sets in addition to the kit set. Problem was, all the decals were stored inside the kit box and the kit stored in my garage which was not climate controlled. The heat got to them. I have fresh decals on order and will use those as I am not going to screw up the model with bad decals. So standby for a couple of weeks for me to finish this model.

In the meantime, I intend to start another model.

stinks when that happens..........    beautiful bird though.......the paint is awesome and decals are going to amplify to no end!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yeah, bad luck with the decals. Luckily, it's a popular kit with lots of  them available.

Paint job is superb, Craig.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I’m sorry to hear about your cousin.  You have my condolences.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

A few days ago when I last worked on the decals for this model, I managed to spill the entire bottle of Microsol decal solvent in my lap. Today, I went to my local hobby shop to buy a replacement bottle of Microsol and found another product made by the same manufacturer called: . I thought it was worth the cost (less than $5) to buy a bottle to try and restore the old, dried out decals that left me stranded with this build. The decal sheets have been given a coat of the product and I will be testing out the decal sheets with the application very soon after the solution has had ample time to dry. Will post my results...keeping my fingers crossed.

DSCN3373.thumb.JPG.51d64caae10480c04d08d11a0b33932e.JPG