Finished - F-15E Strike Eagle by CDW - Pro Modeler - 1:48

CDW

super model the F 15.....enjoyed building mine  ;)   curious as to what you have in mind for decals...the Rafale came out wonderfully!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

super model the F 15.....enjoyed building mine  ;)   curious as to what you have in mind for decals...the Rafale came out wonderfully!

Denis

I have a number of decal options for the Mud Hen, including IDF markings, Mountain Home markings (the ones that carry the "remember 9-11 twin towers graphics), plus the ones that came with the kit are a 1998 Tiger Meet set and quite nice. 

Don't know which version you built, but this is the Pro Modeler version vs: the Revell version that's a more contemporary release. The Pro Modeler version came with the 1998 Tiger Meet decal set by Cartograf in Italy. Only problem is, the decals are suspect because of their age. I tested a small decal portion from the sheet and it worked okay, but there are extensive tiger markings that will need to stay intact if I can use this set. Keeping my fingers crossed, but ready with a backup plan if need be. Backup plan is the Mountain Home set.

For guys that don't know, the Revell F-15E, which is fairly easy to find and budget priced, is an excellent kit. Modern tooling and very well molded. An exceptional value.

is this the Testor's pro modeler?  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great subject   seen a few over the years  at airshows  and over head  a few times  - how about  finding the  decs  to do one of the three  special DDay  markings  48th  Fighter  sqn  over here, they  look rather nice.

(Internet photo)

OC.

f22538cd2efd3f86f506db40e1dff087.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

that is so cool!   something to show my grand sons perhaps???  my son Brandon has mentioned to me that he'd like to get the boys involved in model rocketing....they have a huge field as a back yard......   might be worth a shot ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I used to make a smaller simpler version of these using paper matches. They worked pretty well also but didn't fly as far.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This beast has no less than 19 hard points for ordnance. If you recall, I mentioned in my F-16XL thread the F-15E competed with the F-16XL to win the contract with the USAF, but both planes could carry an impressive array of weapons. More than a WW2 B-17 or B-24 bomber could carry actually.

DSCN3298.thumb.JPG.af141b421ea10255a7d4828cf7844917.JPG

This kit has a high rank in the list of next aircraft models to build. It's an amazing kit.

DSCN3299.thumb.JPG.3dfd027c326a0344cdc1483fda4d3054.JPG

For the longest time, years and years, Mr. Color lacquer paints have not been available in the USA. Just recently, my local supplier has been able to reacquire the line, so today I stocked up on grays, some greens, and tans. The color used here is Mr. Color 305, FS 36118, the correct color for F-15E's. While gray is rather dull to look at, it really pumps me up to be using Mr. Color lacquer paints again. If you look closely at the photos, you'll see these paints go down without a flaw. They're very fast drying, cover extremely well, and come in practically all the correct colors for various aircraft.

It's exciting to me to get a near flawless paint coverage, which is something I can rarely achieve with acrylics. Mixed/reduced with the Mr. Color Leveling thinner, the paint produces amazing results and will be a perfect base to lay down the detail paint/washes/shading that will go on later.

DSCN3323.thumb.JPG.3f168c017af1263b774b0e6150419c4b.JPGDSCN3324.thumb.JPG.001c65c35f2488d6758adcb6422069df.JPGDSCN3325.thumb.JPG.a31597ac097f698b04a169a5cc8a2e62.JPGDSCN3326.thumb.JPG.1ac8d1ce12c62ccbb378303fba0ac580.JPGDSCN3327.thumb.JPG.0072619bfb851bf3aac2d0c00216f22c.JPGDSCN3328.thumb.JPG.f08a7530e6624e689a8f58fcb1eb4294.JPGDSCN3329.thumb.JPG.ed4dd163ea4fccc3c1f1bea6af68cf0a.JPGDSCN3330.thumb.JPG.af16872d6b4e5a816cab8b3af11419a8.JPG

Thought you might like to see this  - was one of mine from one of the  airshows  I have attended over the years   48th  LN   Lakenheath Air base UK, displaying at  RIAT  airshow.

DSC_3555-Edit.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yeah, those are big birds.  Mind, that Tomcat will be bigger still.  The more fair comparison a/c would be an Su-27 (also a big bird).

Luckily, these a/c are not often seen with "drooped" surfaces, which makes for a simpler build.  About the only thing seen drooped are the intakes, but, that's not consistent.

One of the better am items to get for Eagles are the FOD inserts for intakes and exhausts--they are a prominent part of the experience of seeing them on the ground.   You are best placed to decide on RBF flags (heavy duty foil--the restaurant supply house stuff, not grocery store--is your friend if you select the decals rather than PE.

These are more fun with a weapons load, even though they are most often parked with nothing but tanks on the stores points.

52 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thought you might like to see this  - was one of mine from one of the  airshows  I have attended over the years   48th  LN   Lakenheath Air base UK, displaying at  RIAT  airshow.

How close were you to this aircraft when you took the photo? I'll bet that sucker was loud. Nice photo, very nice.

37 minutes ago, CapnMac82 said:

Yeah, those are big birds.  Mind, that Tomcat will be bigger still.  The more fair comparison a/c would be an Su-27 (also a big bird).

Luckily, these a/c are not often seen with "drooped" surfaces, which makes for a simpler build.  About the only thing seen drooped are the intakes, but, that's not consistent.

One of the better am items to get for Eagles are the FOD inserts for intakes and exhausts--they are a prominent part of the experience of seeing them on the ground.   You are best placed to decide on RBF flags (heavy duty foil--the restaurant supply house stuff, not grocery store--is your friend if you select the decals rather than PE.

These are more fun with a weapons load, even though they are most often parked with nothing but tanks on the stores points.

Indeed, those are all large aircraft. Yes, I often see photos of the F-15E with drooped intakes. The model comes with FOD covers for the intakes, but none for the afterburners. I'll be using prepainted photo etch RBF tags.

Thanks for dropping by and for your comments.

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

How close were you to this aircraft when you took the photo? I'll bet that sucker was loud. Nice photo, very nice.

I was about  3/4  of a  mile away   i was staying on a  caravan park  fairly close to the airshow, I had a good view of the aircraft as they ran in  for thier display  - yep   it was loud  - but loudest medal has to go to a  German AF  F4 Phantom   in the the 90s at the same airshow  that did a  very low  long  fast  fly by  and clipped the sound barrier   - amazing experience   even after all these years,

I know  Ken will know about this  - 

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Had a nice fly by   with  two  E's   and  a C   model    - I will  pop that pic up  if you want  me to.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

A good friend was an F-16 pilot. He told me how in joint exercises, British Buccaneers would go supersonic on the deck. That's an aircraft I really love. I once built the Airfix 1:48 scale one and it came out great. Sold it for a couple hundred bucks on Ebay years ago. I had no place to display it and was going to throw it away. My wife scolded me and said to sell it on Ebay. I did not believe I would get anything for it and it came as quite a shock it bid up like it did. From that time on, I sell built models on Ebay. I enjoy the build, then sell them to buy some more. Get lots of practice that way. 🙂 

nice paint job Craig :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My dear cousin passed away this week. Today was his wake and tomorrow he will be laid to rest.

Wallace was a wounded veteran of WW2 and one of the few such veterans remaining. He was severely wounded in action during the allied invasion of Italy when a German aerial bomb practically cut him in half at his torso. He pushed his own guts back into his abdominal cavity and waited until medics could carry him off to a mash hospital. When the medics arrived at his side, they covered him with a sheet thinking he was certainly dead for his injuries were so drastic, but Wallace fought for his own life by pulling the sheet down and yelling at the medics, "hey I'm alive!". He endured dozens of surgeries over time to patch him back together then lived out his life on his family farm in Oxford Florida. He was married to one wife for 70 years who is now widowed after his passing. He was a great man and a cousin who I looked up to all my life. He was a quiet man who was put together with steel. He will be greatly missed but always appreciated for the sacrifices he made for his country and our freedom. He was truly, one from"the Greatest Generation".

Rest in peace my dear brother. The world is a better place because of men like you.

obituary2_0002.thumb.jpg.0d2df444b304c68abaf10b4c01b834af.jpg56752426_WallaceGarrettObituary.thumb.jpg.8d3e9d0abf66f24929849d9cb12c327f.jpg  

626435953_WallaceGarrett.jpg.6abf6a38a9c4cb8cb96b9f939129498b.jpg

Edited by CDW

Sorry to hear of the passing of your cousin.  What an honor it must have been to have known him. These veterans of his generation sacrificed a lot for us to have our freedoms today. 

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Can't like that post about cousin, but I can like your memories of him.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)