Finished - F-15E Strike Eagle by CDW - Pro Modeler - 1:48

CDW

7 minutes ago, Javlin said:

(hearing sucks)

:D:D I saw that!!!:D:D But then I have to wear glasses for reading these days as well, and a cane for walking and special earphones for the TV and...........:unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, Javlin said:

I have heard of this stuff never used it myself and I trust CD that's the trusty 1.0s in the background?:D I do not wear glasses any other time but reading and the shop can still plug a 3" circle @100yds open sights and a good barrel.;) Kevin(hearing sucks)

For me, the verdict is in on the Liquid Decal Film and restoration of my heat/humidity damaged decals. It does not work. Yes, the dried liquid decal film allowed me to remove the decal from the backing paper without it falling apart, but the heat and humidity destroys (apparently) the glue that's between the decal film and backing paper and it does not fix that. The decal will not adhere to the model, as it wants to curl up at the edges as the decal dries. The product would probably help for mildly damaged decals, but when they are as far gone as mine, it just didn't work.

Yes, those are my drug store readers in the background. Like you, I'm still deadly with my rifle/s with iron sights. My distance vision is as good as it ever was. I prefer iron sights, they are so much easier/faster to acquire a target. I stay in practice.  

you tried.......can't do better than that ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 1/9/2020 at 11:43 AM, CDW said:

I have a number of decal options for the Mud Hen, including IDF markings, Mountain Home markings (the ones that carry the "remember 9-11 twin towers graphics),

I live "close" to Mountain Home and love watching the flights come in.  I'm also able to see a lot of A-10's since the National Guard base is also close by.

Alan

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Yes, those are my drug store readers in the background. Like you, I'm still deadly with my rifle/s with iron sights. My distance vision is as good as it ever was. I prefer iron sights, they are so much easier/faster to acquire a target. I stay in practice.  

Cool Glad to see that I love iron sights for the same reasons I use to be able to make a can dance in under a 100yds with the M1 carbine all I use was the front sight.I have a carbine built by Jerry Kuhnhausen on a commercial Springfield Armory receiver(never made production) all else is GI parts nice shooter better than my 44 Inland.;) Kevin

Edited by Javlin

Close up of the FOD guards  and some RBF  covers.

OC.

081_2-Edit.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Airfoil shaped one is an angle of attack probe (lower one), not sure on the other. Maybe pitot tube?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

How about some tail and rear end detail  -

OC.

084_2-Edit.jpg

079_2-Edit.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, CDW said:

Interesting timing. 

I just added my tail code markings tonight. 😎

Good timing mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Cool, the Chiefs. I was attached to that squadron back in days of yore when they flew Phantoms.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just now, Canute said:

Cool, the Chiefs. I was attached to that squadron back in days of yore when they flew Phantoms.

Yep, 335th Fighter Squadron, Chiefs. This particular aircraft carried the avatar "F.D.N.Y. - Let's Roll" and all F-15E aircraft of the squadron carried the "9-11-2001 Never Forget" moniker. No information on the pilot or weapons officer. The decal sheet gave the option for a number of different aircraft from the squadron.

That's kind of strange. The decal sheet gives you all of those minute decals covering every detail possible on the aircraft and then gives you additional identification decals to denote a particular aircraft but does not give you the names of the crewmen, one of the things that is almost always present on modern day aircraft.

I envy your ability to produce the master quality you achieve in your builds. You always seem to know exactly where you are going with each build and carry it through with perfection.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

That's kind of strange. The decal sheet gives you all of those minute decals covering every detail possible on the aircraft and then gives you additional identification decals to denote a particular aircraft but does not give you the names of the crewmen, one of the things that is almost always present on modern day aircraft.

I envy your ability to produce the master quality you achieve in your builds. You always seem to know exactly where you are going with each build and carry it through with perfection.

No, these are from two different sheets/sets. One set provides the tail codes and insignia's, another set provides all the minute data decals. Two different makers entirely. 

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Decals underway. There's a ton of small data markings, still lots to do.

DSCN3375.thumb.JPG.0a72c1edee4f543a097e2eb8b980efe3.JPGDSCN3377.thumb.JPG.97c081167bf929a9dbf9271d908dd820.JPG

Looking spot on  craig  lovely jubbly.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 1/17/2020 at 3:57 PM, lmagna said:

special earphones for the TV and...........:unsure:

Do you wear hearing aids by any chance or need to get them?  I've needed them for years, and am finally going to get them (invisible, in-ear canal).  Apparently, they can also be configured to receive input from the TV...  

Alan

I probably should be wearing them Alan.

I do have problems with understanding what people are saying if they are not directly in front of me. I have lost a lot of high pitch sound ability from years or exposure to loud sounds of one type or another. I started wearing a headset to watch TV when we are watching family stuff in the evening this last year, that way I can listen at a level that works for me and I don't blast them out of the room. The rest of the time I watch very little if any TV so there is seldom an issue. Much of the video type stuff I do watch is in using my laptop. With a earbud it is much easier for me to see and hear than the TV across the room. I tend to look over the top of my glasses or just take them off if I'm watching regular TV. Movie theaters are the same way.

I hope the hearing aids work for you. I have been told that they can be hard to get used to because they pick up everything so not only voices are louder but everything else as well.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

there are quite a few of those text decals........planes look'in great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

there are quite a few of those text decals........planes look'in great! :) 

You betcha, and there are even more to do.

To acquire a set of decals equal to the ones that came in my kit (and subsequently were ruined by heat), I had to buy another kit. Well guess what, the kit arrived to me today, damaged...and water damaged at that! I might be able to salvage the decals, but I'm not certain of it. As a consolation, the post office took the blame so the seller's insurance should cover it. He already provided a partial refund that he and I agreed upon. This was a Ebay item.

DSCN3381.thumb.jpg.06590c303de91c182df93650d989d086.jpgDSCN3385.thumb.jpg.6294a9d8c96ed9781fa4a38d012a642e.jpg

WOW what did they do? It looks like they thought it was some kind of novel submarine and wanted to see if it would float across the parking lot to the vehicle! I have seen some pretty roughly treated packages over the years but I think this is the first drowned one. Hope your decals survived!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

WOW what did they do? It looks like they thought it was some kind of novel submarine and wanted to see if it would float across the parking lot to the vehicle! I have seen some pretty roughly treated packages over the years but I think this is the first drowned one. Hope your decals survived!

If I had to guess, they unloaded the cargo hold of a plane while it was raining and the package was placed in a partial puddle, then other boxes stacked on top of it. I wondered why the package was delayed in arrival and then I found out. They destroyed the package.

That is bad mate  - I would be Fuming Mad.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

19 minutes ago, Javlin said:

Snake bit! ;) kevin

Nah!   that's a drink   - cider and larger mixed.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Nah!   that's a drink   - cider and larger mixed.

OC.

No alcohol was required to get over it. The seller and I agreed on a 50% discount. That took the sting off the damage received. He actually got a bargain because the kit would be very hard to re sell had I returned it for a full refund. That's why you always want to send packages insured to recoup potential damage, though this is the first time in many hundreds, probably well over a thousand, online purchases I have made. Maybe I've been lucky? 

that's too bad.........I haven't had a problem so far in my dealings...counting my blessings.  my only bad experience was in sending a fully built ship model to Wisconsin.   double boxed and insulate with peanuts,  it made it until the tail end of the journey,  where it got jammed in the conveyor and partially crunched by another package.  the gent on the other end sent me pictures......the damage was quite minor,  and he was able to fix it in time for the model expo they were attending.  as far as I know,  he still has the model.  I built another one for him......but for this one,  he personally came by to pick it up {he and his wife were on a vacation trip }.

I hope as well the decals fared.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great job Craig. I assume that means the decals from the waterlogged kit worked.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey