I recently finished planking the MS Picket boat, about 1/2 way through the planking I realized I should probably be edge gluing the planks so about 1/2 of the planks are edge glued and the others not, only glued to the frames. I wonder if after smoothing the hull if I should apply a thin line of CA along the seams of the non-edge glued planks? I am afraid if I applied it prior to sanding the CA would harden the wood along the seams and make sanding more difficult. Any advice for this beginner welcomed!!

DSC_3104.JPG

Hi, I think it really depends on the finish you want to apply.   If painting the hull, you can edge glue with PVA or CA but if a clear, stained and varnished finish any glue will more than likely result in a 'splotchy' finish no matter how careful you are as the glue penetrates the wood.

More experienced modellers may be able to give better advice.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Stay away from CA.  Always use the PVA except when gluing metal to wood. It seeps into the wood and makes a stain very hard to sand out. Use PVA  {wood glue}. If you have gaps mix PVA with some sawdust of the wood you are planking with and use as a wood putty. If you just want to add strength just wipe on PVA with your finger tip, clean off any excess and sand.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Your planking looks pretty neat, especially for a beginner (better than mine was, certainly). Should look great when she’s sanded and painted. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, barkeater said:

Stay away from CA.  Always use the PVA except when gluing metal to wood. It seeps into the wood and makes a stain very hard to sand out. Use PVA  {wood glue}. If you have gaps mix PVA with some sawdust of the wood you are planking with and use as a wood putty. If you just want to add strength just wipe on PVA with your finger tip, clean off any excess and sand.

I think that's a preference, not a rule. All my models are planked using CA.  One trick I use is to put a little CA in a gap then quickly sand it and the area around it, just a little bit.  The result is almost transparent, not museum perfect, but it works - certainly on an area be painted.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose