advice on setting kit price

Guus Rozendaal

Well, there are a number of knocks against this kit.

• It is an older kit, so it probably does not compare favorably to newer design standards.
  • It is not a well-known company.
  • It is not a particularly popular subject.

For something like this I would expect to pay around $25-$50 on an auction site such as eBay. Normally at such sites, you can set a minimum bid -- try $50 (or the Dutch equivalent) and see if you get any hits. If it doesn't sell the first time around, you can lower the starting bid or choose a "no reserve" option.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I looked it up. It is a larger than normal Authentic Holland kit. POB rather than solid hull and about 30 inches long. I would start out at $99.99 US or the equivanent Dutch.

I would tend to agree with Ron. It is a fairly large plank on bulkhead kit and if I read right has photo etch and other nice features not common with most of the Authentic Models Holland kits.

On the other hand your's has already been started so it would tend to be worth a little less than if it was just box-O-sticks like new kits.

I would think that since you bought it on the internet not all that long ago you would start at how much you paid for it along with postage, and try and get at least that much.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It is not an unusual subject (at least not here :)) It was (is) a famous ship: the personal yacht of Beatrix, presented to her for her 18th birthday.

This kit was available i. The seventies ans eighties in almost all hobbyshops around, as well as other kits of authentic shipmodels. Decent quality for a fair price.  Your Dutch market will be limited, however: most people who want to do this model already did it 35 years ago :) (and no, I did not build her, but  it is slightly too large for me)

Jan

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, amateur said:

It is not an unusual subject (at least not here :))

True, it might be locally very popular, and that should be factored into the asking price. By "not a particularly popular subject" I was thinking more about shallow-draft Dutch yachts compared to, say, three-masted men-of-war with lots of guns. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...

If you go into advanced search on ebay and select ended items you may just find some that sold recently and what they went for.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: