Henke

HMS Hood by Henke - Trumpeter - 1:350 - PLASTIC

Having finished my Prince of Wales (Tamiya 1:350) I am now starting a new project. In the end of my previous build log Canute recommended Trumpeters 1:350 Hood. Thanks Canute. I have now bought that kit from my local supplier. The kit looks very nice. I think this is the first MSW build log of a Trumpeter Hood 1:350. As you can see on the box it is a long ship (75 cm) which is about 10 cm longer than Prince of Wales, i.e. 35 m in real life. Commissioned in 1920, as the last battle cruiser for the Royal Navy, the profile looks differently compared to other large WW2 ships. The mighty Hood as she was called was in service between 1920-1941 as she was sunk by Bismarck.

The kit can be built as a water line model as well as a full hull. I think my Hood will be a waterline version. I have not tried that before. Maybe a diorama......

I now some pictures.

y4mfDPDmPWbPiYCwB2J5SKO5xy-pjWxYqfxVAvo4

y4mhG4posObW0tCTzSHXINXr1NCMBUzkvFRrUbXf

y4mrpDfFtjNeA2MJKuqaDSUmubozyS-ZUICqOPBx

Regards

Henrik

The work on Hood is progressing but I have been slow on updates. I decided to follow Trumpeter's paint recommendations using Gunze Mr Hobby water based acrylic paint. I have not used them before and it is a positive experience. They work fantastic in the air brush (diluted of course) and are easy to paint with an ordinary paint brush. The recommended colors are a bit glossy as you can see from the first picture. The deck is airbrushed and the grey and rusty details are hand painted.

y4mX0Qr2sAbZp9LQyscAGRxHIvNfEi8QWs5FYKBJ

I then used Tamiya panel line accent color (black) to get a little bit of the life in the deck caulking. After drying I wiped away most of the accent color with a bit of paper towel dampened in turpentine and airbrushed with matt varnish. The varnish tones down the appearance.

y4mx05zy9Ew4vdY3huoJX03ZV9MAZR7pNwbeU5jR

y4m-lOBeAxCGTJjpUcRsMQ8gvz3bHTNyBkl9ODKH

y4mfErsCKFqS8MeN4UKtHvfCTmUPQJmEBJHLCiO4

Trumpeter's 1:350 Hood is a nice kit. It has its flaws but at least an amateur like me can live with it. I hope to be able to spend some time at ship yard this weekend building the super structure.

Regards

Henrik

Some pictures of the last months efforts. Mighty Hood on the cutting mat sea 🙂. Prince of Wales and a Panzerkampfwagen IV watch on in the background.

Regards

Henrik

y4mJGMg76Yi2T3kHNUCiMsgCL1lcXpnxJiYzM71C

The table is a bit messy

y4mLWUdqGDuVWWgutKMgNL8C6TKYyZOoogPGmQ7Z

y4mNLRSwUb7uOZ3JRh3je3Bpu2m6oRqDWAcIqYYs

Looking good. I like what you did to the wood portion of the deck. One detail you might consider addressing is the seams on the main

armament barrels. Those are the kind of details that we all pick up on as we gain experience.

Good pictures too, making me think of adding Hood to "the list"

Cheers--

Thanks for all likes and advice from Tigerdvr. When I published the close up picture of the guns I thought, "those seams do not look good". I will see what I can do about them....

Trumpeter's kit is very nice but but there are imperfections. The more experienced modeler (not including myself) should add after market material to this kit. Eduard has an etched set (ED53020), MK1 a wooden deck (MD 35004) and there is a Trumpeter kit with gun barrels and propellers in brass (TU06601). All together they add up to about the same price as the Trumpeter kit itself. Maybe for my next project?

Regards

Henrik

It has been almost a month since last post of my out of the box Hood build. After some fixes to the seams on the barrels Tigerdvr observed I have added blast bags made from kitchen towel paper.

y4mSZL4fXAh9SDHKmvARvNppzEo0NRJXhBZ6U-3k

And what is it on the gun tower? Graffiti? 

y4mP1q7jlQPZgNwoxJUSv7oNTbOYetRPMD97q8jY

Regards, Henrik