1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

lmagna

I remember that story, too, Mark. Details aren't important; the fact the airliner guys mistook Marble Mountain and DaNang is hilarious.

I watched an IG guy mistake two US bases in Germany and land at the wrong field. Talk about a ration of grief.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thought it a bit strange that someone would go off their base with no extra ammo.

I don't know about extra ammo. We left all of the 7.62 stuff with the guns and chopper, along with the M-16 that I had strapped to the bulkhead in my position in the right gunner bay. The only firearms we had were sidearms. I carried two extra mags on my belt and I think every one else did as well.  At any rate the MPs didn't make a big deal about it. I suspect they dealt with it relatively often. after those two stops we were left alone fro the rest of the day and outside of the BX incident didn't have any more issues. We just thought it odd that they would say anything at all. After all, as far as we knew we were still in Nam and the whole darn place was considered a combat zone.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Amazing how things get twisted from mouth to ear to mouth ad innfinitum ad nauseam.

In my case it gets twisted just in the short distance between memory/brain and fingers/mouth. It seems like I have no need for outside help to mess up a story in one detail or another. The things I seem to be having the most trouble with lately is not so much what happened but where and when! :(

Two of the "can no longer remember with true accuracy where" incidents are when I was in a commercial airliner landing on a very short runway. I remember looking down from the window and thinking that the runway looked really small. we circled the runway one complete time and then came down in what seemed to be a really steep decent and then I swear I watched the reverse deflector clamshells on the inboard engines deploy and reverse thrust being applied BEFORE our wheels were on the ground! they did the same to the outboard engines as soon as we felt the wheels touch and really leaned on the throttles! It was possibly one of the most exciting landing I have ever watched. FOR the life of me I cannot remember when or what field it was.

The other incident involved Air Force One, or whatever they call it when the President is not on board. It could have been Tan Son Nhut, Pleiku, or Da Nang, I just can't remember which. At any rate there had been incidents of VC taking pot shots at approaching and departing aircraft from the approaches to the airfield and it was advised for all aircraft to gain as much altitude as possible when leaving the runway. One of the Air Force whatever they called it, (White and blue with "United States Of America" plastered along the side) was there and we watched it take off. First off they opened the hanger and rolled the aircraft out at what looked to be 30 or 40 miles an hour heading straight for the end of the runway. They rotated around at the end of the runway and without even stopping to rev up the engines started their takeoff! That alone was amazing to watch, but it seemed they rotated and were airborne before they had used even half the runway. The nose came up, the gear came up. and they looked like a fighter climbing out and were gone through the clouds in no time. Obviously no problems with power with that plane!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That's what they call a rolling takeoff Lou. The multiengine/cargo planes did it a lot. We ex-fighter guys called it a strolling takeoff.

We fighter types normally pulled onto the runway, lined up in formation, closed the canopies, ran the engines up holding brakes to check the instruments, nodded to the flight lead that we were ready and watched him go into afterburner. 10 seconds later #2 rolled and so on.  Afterburners (or reheat for the Brits) were orange red with Mach diamonds for the Phantom. The flame shape had multiple diamond shapes coming out of the afterburner nozzles, what you're looking at at the read ends of the engines. If we rolled more than 4,000' on the runway we were heavily loaded, it was hot or we were flying from a very high altitude airport. Nam was the first two. Flying in Colorado or Utah was the last.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I had never seen an aircraft take off that way. They always seemed to do it your #2 way. Stopping, breaking, revving, and release to GO! I suppose that would be similar to a Huey doing a quick takeoff. I think it was claimed that a Huey could lift off from a dead start in 60 or 90 seconds. I don't know, we never did it when I was on board, I understand it is hard on the transmission. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

What I see here (they use the Medford airport for "short runway" practice) is them rolling out and the first two stop, and go.  The next two follow pretty quick.  They're staggered as they roll onto the runway.  Last summer we had a flight of 12 and the whole flight was airborne in just a few minutes.  Impressive.   These were F-15's (reserve) and I think they had stopped for fuel and lunch.   After the take off, they made some passes over the field and on the last one, at mid-field... launched straight up.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

After the take off, they made some passes over the field and on the last one, at mid-field... lunched straight up.  

Almost like having your own private little airshow.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 3/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, lmagna said:

What were you doing fifty years ago,

On a bus going to Maxwell Field for my induction physical. This was before the lottery system.:(

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

5 minutes ago, John Allen said:

This was before the lottery system.

Wow, I had to look that one up. My failing memory remembers the lotto as being around ever since my high school days, if not before. But according to the infallible internet the first lotto was in 1969. That still seems wrong to me for some reason. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

40 minutes ago, lmagna said:

My failing memory

Lou,

Could be my memory, its sharp as a tack from the 50s to 60s there's a disconnect from the 70s to late 90s memories during that time come in flashbacks ( I'll try to remember a specific and go blank. Can be in a dead sleep a day later than whammy it comes back) present day to day hour to hour is a crap-shoot.:D

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

That's OK John it adds a degree of deniable plausibility to anything we say. Of course you do remember what they say about if you can remember the 60s?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I was #5 in that 1969 lottery. I got drafted in early '72, too. I "dodged' if by sending some gummint form, saying I already had a blue suit and was a real 1st Lieutenant. 😝

Ken

I bet someone in the draft board was upset. They wanted to put you in the Army as a private and make you a Grunt.:( Shows how smart you are though! I can't remember what number I was, that year or any other! :unsure:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I won enough money to get a keg of beer for my Frat House!

Ken

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

That's OK John it adds a degree of deniable plausibility to anything we say. Of course you do remember what they say about if you can remember the 60s?

The 60's?   I've heard of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I've heard of them.

Me Too!:unsure:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well Just because Mark is such a wizz getting his helicopter done, as usual I have not been so prodigious in my progress. Even though there has been a considerable amount of work since I last updated my log it is not all that visible. With only a couple of things left to go I finished the pilot chairs, determined their proper location and glued them into position. I will add the shoulder harnesses after the pilots are fully painted, and add the collective and cyclic controls at the very last so that they won't be broken.

I have been spending most of my time on the jump seats. Getting them assembled in a way that they could be strong enough not to fall apart later. The rear bench and gunners seats were especially problematical and I eventually had to come up with my own way to make them fit and, (Hopefully) look right. I am not a 100% happy with it but I can only alter them so many times and still have them work at all.

So at this point it is mostly getting the seat belts installed, making a few more repairs to the deck, and a lot of painting. Mostly on the pilots who have to be in position before installing the overhead, but the over all interior also needs a lot of paint and will be easier to do it now rather than wait until later.

So here are the pictures. They don't really show the back and forth and constant redoes but you just need to be aware what you are looking at is just the latest rendition and far from finished.

image.thumb.png.2e71e7abdaf6089b62ff3ff9922ce309.png

image.thumb.png.04092cd59d36e32027608dfc5fdc4f24.png

image.thumb.png.68aae7209e145d402f6e810d9a0302e3.png

image.thumb.png.fed70cd927f0356cad1d90ae5e81c9a9.png

Thanks for looking in

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Ken

They are still going to need a lot of work but so far so good. In fact they are almost the only thing that has gone more or less according to plan. I think it will be the people who will make or break this model.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

the pilots came out great Lou!   you might want to bend the foot pedals up ....right side do them evenly,  and the other to match the pilots feet {don't necessarily need to be touching}....it might add a tiny bit more detail. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Will we see a gunner Lou hanging out the side?

Ken

there's a thought.........will we see a clone?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 minutes ago, Canute said:

Will we see a gunner Lou hanging out the side?

Of course!

He will be the guy in the right door with his boot planted in some Grunt's butt getting him off the chopper as we are late to chow!😈 (Which actually we almost always were:()

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

will we see a clone?

I don't know how clone like he will be. I suspect that even with my poor painting skills he will be an improvement on the original.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Maybe you can have someone with a head wound all bandaged up strapped down to the bench!  Something to remind me of my own exciting experience in a helicopter?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

"Those were the days my friend"

I have nothing to compare, I wasn't old enough and my father missed it by marrying my mother...... But then if he hadn't asked her on the ramp to Japan I would never have been here.....

Thank you all for your service....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Never get a chance to say this too often....to all my brothers WELCOME HOME...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Maybe you can have someone with a head wound all bandaged up strapped down to the bench!

Sorry to say it Dave but those guys that were too  bad off to get on by themselves most often got thrown onto the deck. It was too hard to get them to the seats in most cases and no time to check if everyone was strapped in, (Not that there were seat belts on the deck anyway). Believe it or not, when we knew we were going to carry a large number of troops with equipment like LURPs, we didn't even have seats except for the pilots and gunners! You could say that sometimes our safety standards were lacking by airline measures. No doors, no belts, no seats, no service! Flying in a Huey could sometimes be a true barnstorming event even for those experienced in it. 

Thanks Egilman and Moab

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very cool!  Love the figures.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking swell Lou  - keep going mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1