CH-53 Sikorsky by mtaylor - 1:48 - Revell - FINISHED

mtaylor

It wasn't "funny money" stateside.  In 'Nam it was though.   The reason for the funny money because greenbacks were like gold over the people. And the VC liked to grab all they could also.  

It was weird over there with the armed guards on payday.   Any one us troops usually had more firepower than the guards.  Like.. ok.. I robbed the payroll.  Now where the hell am I going to spend it?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Now where the hell am I going to spend it?

Hadn't thought of that. Not too many places to escape to! A $10 greenback could get you at least $50 in the village I was told.  Didn't matter anyway as I seldom had much money anyway, even in MPC as I was married and had everything except my combat pay sent home as a class E allotment.

For those who don't know what we are talking about, this is what the money looked like:

image.thumb.png.514a82b98f5622b084382e5531bad10c.png

I kind of liked it. Different colors and sizes. You could be drunk off of your butt in a dark bar and still get it right!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Even today, DisbO badge of office is a side arm.  And the POs assigned to him also go about armed.

Which does have some modern use, as there are ports where you can't go and draw 1100 tons of Distillate #2 on an IOU.  Sometimes you need a couple deck apes to come haul bullion specie down to the fuel dock or harbormaster.  Alsthough that, too is passing into history.

Ah yes.... I did too.  First wife kept it all.....  Oh well.

Still working away in the shop but nothing to show yet.  

Anyone from the 60's in 'Nam emember this comic book:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguyen_Charlie

My favorite cartoon from them was two VC running and being chased by bullets... first frame on VC says "you know what's worse than a Spooky gunship?"... second one has a second line of bullets coming from the opposite direction. "Nguyen" says  "Yes... two Spooky gunships."

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/16/2020 at 5:33 PM, Canute said:

Those dirigible hangars are a sight, Lou. You'd be wowed. Unknown if any still exist on the West Coast.

Moffett Field, formerly a Navy airbase in Mountain View, CA, near San Jose at the southern end of San Francisco Bay, is now called "Moffett Federal Airfield, and is used by a variety of agencies. It has two blimp hangars, on the right in the photo below, and on the left is the huge dirigible hangar, one of the largest free-standing structures in the world. There is at least one blimp hangar at Tillamook, OR, on the coast, as well. There are also a couple of large blimp hangars in Tustin, CA, down south.

Kluft-photo-Moffett-Federal-Airfield-Oct-2008-Img 1911.jpg

Hangerone.jpg

USS_Macon_at_Hangar_One.jpg

Tustin, right. That was the base I was at.  It was called "Santa Ana Air Facility"  and then in 1979 renamed to "Tustin Air Facility". 

Here's their website:  https://www.tustinca.org/765/Tustin-Hangars

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I understand the idea behind the inflatable  hangar  - so they could  take it with the Blimp.😉

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The dirigible hanger at Moffit field is a duplicate of the one at Akron, Ohio.  According to the internet the Moffit field hanger has been stripped of it’s siding and is to be restored by Google.  Both hangers (Moffit and Akron) were designed by Dr Arnstein, a German structural engineer hired from the German Zeppelin Co by Akron, Ohio’s Goodyear Zeppelin Co.  Dr. Arnstein was also responsible for structural design of the Akron and Macon.

For my First Class Midshipman Cruise during the summer of 1964, I was aboard a minesweeper homeported at Sasebo, Japan.  If my memory is correct we used MPC when going ashore.  I know that I used MPC somewhere and the only other foreign station I visited  during  4 years of Navy active duty was 2-3 days at Subic Bay, Philippines that same summer.

Roger

I see you read Stars and Stripes Mark!

As far as I know MPC was in use long before my time, (69-70) in Vietnam CDW. The script we got in Vietnam at my time was not the same as the pictures I show above though. I was sent to Korea for a couple of months to the 8th Army NCO academy and while I was there the MPC used was the bills you see in the picture. I also had some Vietnam script but that was in my actual scrap book along with the majority of my pictures and my ex-wife decided that I no longer had any use for it. So all I have left today is the stuff that I didn't think was all that good and kept in a box for all these years. I just dragged them out into the daylight for the first time a couple of months ago. The only reason they survived was because they were in my foot locker that is still at the foot of my bed and has been locked ever since it arrived as cargo after I got home. I have unlocked it now and then over the years but mostly it remained locked and that was probably the only reason she was not able to get rid of the stuff inside before I could get it out of the house.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I guess I had limited travel experience over there.  Only place I got to outside of 'Nam was Malaysia for a government sponsored trip and we were handed cash (US Dollars) before leaving.  On return, we had to exchange any green left for the funny money.

Slow progress in the work shop.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That was the only trip I got to make and I still think it was an attempt at getting me to re-up at the end of my enlistment. 

Sorry about your progress report. Mine has been a little slow as well because it has been all building and fitting of two interiors and trying to decide which will work better. I do think I am getting close on making a decision on the best direction to go.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 1/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, lmagna said:

Well sometimes it probably still does

Lou,

Actually it did leave a lasting impression, my memory is excellent for things that happened 40  years ago, it sucks for the last five unless I have a bell ringer  :default_wallbash: I laughed so hard again I pulled a back muscle saved it in favorites so I won't forget. Unless I forget where I saved it. It was good, one of the best.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Like most almost unbelievable stories, it is easier to remember when it happened to you than it is when you  hear of it happening to others.

That is what keeps me busy in my older age. Finding the place where I put something for safety.:blink: 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I had an eye appointment today (finally after putting it off).   He showed me the difference between what I can see now and what I will be able to see...   WOW....  I guess my eyes are a lot worse than I thought.  So, I'm backing off a bit.  I'll work on what I can see but leave the tiny stuff until the new glasses are here.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I wear glasses  as I'm varifocal  near in one eye and far in the other  - makes finding the right strength a challange as the difference is quite a large margin,  if I dont get tit right it can cause head aches from straining.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Indeed, OC. I had a similar problem a couple years ago.  Someone screwed up the prescription such that the "prism" in one of the lenses was wrong.  Double vision, headaches.... I took them back and they fixed the problem.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hope you can get them soon Mark. Not being able to see clearly is a real bummer even when not modeling.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

second that!  we want to see you model for many more years ;)   I wear glasses,  but they are mainly for ogling at the computer or small print.   don't wear them when out and about.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

They should be in around the 10th.   So in meantime, I'll do some painting on the bigger parts, maybe some assembly.  Once I get the new glasses, then will the fun start... like "who the heck did this and messed it up so badly"...  :P   I should also be getting the guns around the 10th.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well Sam, I do get to use that excuse as no dog and no wife.  :P

Painting is going slow.  I'm cleaning up the flash and still sorting out parts.   I realized a few things today... there's no parts to detail the inside. None.. zip.   Even if one did build the radio rack, winch, and seats... the top is open.   So, the chopper will be a hollow shell.   I also found that the intakes are of the "air filter" type and not the wide open like the German model.    Makes me happy, that did.   No pictures, I've got stuff spread all over the workbench and other parts of the shop right now.  When I'm ready for assembly, I'll do photos.    Now if the guns would just get here....  <sigh.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'll try to do an update tomorrow or Saturday.   Don't expect much except a pile of olive painted parts as that seems to be the only color the USMC knew back then.  But now with the wars in the ME, everything is painted "Sand"... <sigh>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well.. got sidetracked again...  Guns came into today, so I'll tell a few people to leave me alone tomorrow so I can take photos.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Here's the state of the build.   Many subassemblies built, exterior of the fuselage isn't not painted yet but holes have been filled.   I probably won't paint the exterior until the deck and fuselage are assembled in case I need to fill some gaps.   And those guns are tiny and will be a challenge.  After re-looking at the after market, what would need to be scratch built on the interior, I"m sticking with the basic kit.  I just don't think my skills are up too it.

DSCF3048.thumb.JPG.59ad28f28f14bd37799c71a6ea3a338a.JPGDSCF3049.thumb.JPG.7bdb47892b34b171260b4443af6f4b91.JPGDSCF3050.thumb.JPG.18f0a50bb950bb32f4d039ef7ca3bc0f.JPGDSCF3051.thumb.JPG.f160e0cfd73cc70d3bf0a57537f91e57.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good Mark. You may not be using an airbrush but it is clear you are no slouch with a paint brush! Too bad that after waiting all of this time for your .50s that you are not going to use them. Did you ever consider crew?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That is gonna be a "woppa"   love all the detail  and bits and pieces   as lou said  crew would be great  there are some Amazing figures  at Verlinden.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

very nice progress Mark........very close to putt'in her together ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looking good Mark. You may not be using an airbrush but it is clear you are no slouch with a paint brush! Too bad that after waiting all of this time for your .50s that you are not going to use them. Did you ever consider crew?

Lou,

The guns are going to be a problem... Seems that the way they sell these things is in a two pack but one gun is for the door, the other goes on the ramp.  Never happened back then.  We experimented but still would have had both guns up front (door and left side window).  

So... after scratching my head, straining my eyes and and doing some faceplants while sorting out the bits and pieces... I'm rethinking the guns a bit.    She will have them.   What I'm going to do is I have ordered two guns per the below photo (now why I never found them over a month ago is beyond me).  Then I'll do a combination of the kit parts from the first batch and scratch build the mount for the other side of the bird.  

You saw the quality of the Reskit parts and it's not great.  But I'll use it for a starting point.  My guns should be here by Saturday.   Beats the hell out of waiting a month for them to come from France.  

48082_1024x1024.jpg.5b2e69a500e4ecd763f736fc0fa6162f.jpg

untitled.png.fbbf4c3b511bb36fda2c2353800540a6.png

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is gonna be a "woppa"   love all the detail  and bits and pieces   as lou said  crew would be great  there are some Amazing figures  at Verlinden.

OC.

I don't see a crew being done in this project, OC.   They just won't be seen.  I did look at all the aftermarket products and basically, they're not much better than what came with the kit.   Now if I were to maybe do half a fuselage and then detail the interior.....    

17 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

very nice progress Mark........very close to putt'in her together ;) 

I'm still working on the fuselage, sir.   I just realized I need to remove the window framing from the port side and fiddle with a few things.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: