CH-53 Sikorsky by mtaylor - 1:48 - Revell - FINISHED

mtaylor

how I did the Wulfe Hound was to put some paint on an old face cloth {admiral wouldn't let me take one out of the drawer} folded up somewhat.  dabbed it on the first thing I saw { a cardboard box},  and did long light strokes over  the wings and such,  front to back.  some I even did with a semi dry Q tip.   good to see her together Mark! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the ideas, gents.   I mounted the rear ramp and door... not glued yet though as I'm sorting that part out.  I'm thinking either fully closed or maybe the top panel fully open and the ramp half open or even full up.   I also started filling in the gaps.... tomorrow sanding.   And before I repaint the filled gaps, I need to check the fit of a few pieces just in case I need to butcher things.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

26 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

just in case I need to butcher things.

Remember it is called "BASHING" not buchering!

What are you thinking of "Modifying"?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

31 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Remember it is called "BASHING" not buchering!

What are you thinking of "Modifying"?

I'm not at this point as I haven't checked the fit as yet.   Besides it's "Bashing" for everyone else, for me it's "Butchering".  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

I'm not at this point as I have checked the fit as yet.   Besides it's "Bashing" for everyone else, for me it's "Butchering".  :rolleyes:

That brings visions to my mind  like in Toy Story  with the mutilated  toys.😧

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I fancy the term necromancy.....especially if your using part from other kits :ph34r:   to rip...........to cut......all physical changes are good!

that would be Sid,  OC............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

No necromancy Denis, except the guns.  The butchering concept to me is getting things to fit together.  A bit of hack and paste, sanding, reshaping....   I got really bogged down with the ramp area.   Still not perfect but it's close now.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Seems like it's two steps forward and one step back lately....  Oh well.  I've been doing lots of clean up and adding subassemblies.   Probably have another 10-15 bits to go.  I had to remove one of the seats to get access to the cabin as I broke (again) a gun.  At least now I'll be able to put it on and not fear (he says knowing that's a lie) that I'll break it again.  I'm going to hold off though until just before the glass front end goes on.   

Actually, I'm pretty pleased. I still have a few seam lines to fill and and repaint but nothing serious there.  And I knocked out a window so have to figure out if I can fit from the inside or just leave it off and claim battle damage.

DSCF3068.JPG.9d8cd5d4b874b1f45fc81333fbc2cca7.JPG

DSCF3069.JPG.2b92b3270dcf2a1a21583997c7909b12.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Missing side window? Just enter it in the log book as on order. That places the aircraft as serviceable.:D 

Could you get/make a wax stick like you suggested to me and place the window back in through the open ramp area. Looking good Mark. It looks a little more complete with the landing gear sponsons on.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I tried the stick... along with lots of bad language.  Didn't work.   Window shot out by ground fire duly noted in log book.

I'm basically two parts way from finishing.  Overall, pretty darn happy with it seeing as it's been so long doing plastic.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

She is looking  good mark   - keep up the momentum  not far to go now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Making some really good progress there Mark.  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

And...... she's done and on the shelf.  Pics below. My only comment is that there really should be a better way to glass than thick plastic.  <sigh>

And one last tale from Vietnam.   We had made a delivery of assorted goods (c-rats, ammo) to platoon in the field.   On the way back to base, we're lumbering along at about 500 feet and maybe 100 knots speed.   Kind of relaxing.   The left door gunner, who was the 1st mech for chopper (I was at the right) suddenly yells.. "taking fire request permission to returnn....".   That's all he got out when the pilot broke in with "Hell yes." and started banking to the left to help the gunner out.   As we started the bank and he started working the .50, I moved over to his side and started reading a second box of ammo.   I looked out and he's shooting at a water buffalo that surrounded by 6 guys in black PJ's shooting at us.   He nailed 4 right off the bat, we're loosing altitude (intentionally) when the water buffalo explodes.   I looked at him, he at me, and we both just went "Wow".   While this was going on,  Huey Cobra showed up just after the explosion and he dropped down low and slow and then reported back that there's 6 bodies and one crater.   Hey... we felt good.  Better them than us.   We landed, checked the plane and wandered off.   The next morning, I bumped into the Colonel (our pilot) and he told me to go look at the side of the chopper.   On the 1st mechs side, under the window where the gun was, there was painted a "kill" like the WWII fighters.... but this was a water buffalo with an "X" through it.   Loved it and wish I knew were my albums were as I know I had a picture of it.

So much for wandering down memory lane for now.  It's been both fun and hard, but worth the trip to me.   I'm now going to go focus on the Bellle Poule.  And thanks to everyone who put up me remembering like some old guy... wait... I am an old guy.

DSCF3071.JPG.3554f05668d11881084e24e306e48556.JPG

DSCF3072.JPG.8a92b274d9f9b845822f3781876fb41f.JPG

DSCF3073.JPG.d3085fe9715a73a7151c4848aa2b574b.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Although I am jealous of the idea that you were able to get so much more done on your build than I have on mine, I am glad you got it done Mark. It turned out pretty nice. I didn't see a water buffalo painted under the right window though! 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Its been a pleasure bro,   your  CH53  looks  bang on  even down to the rear exhaust covers,   thank you for  telling us about what being a heli crew man was all about.........👐👈👍

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks guys.  This was a relatively easy model compared to what you are building.  And I think, it was good for my mental state.  

Oh... I did leave the rear ramp cover raised even though the ramp is up also.  That's the way I remember them.....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

33 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That's the way I remember them.....  

That was what it is all about and sometimes has nothing to do with the aftermarket stuff or suggested color chart. Like I said at the beginning, this is the building of a memory as much as a model.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

That was what it is all about and sometimes has nothing to do with the aftermarket stuff or suggested color chart. Like I said at the beginning, this is the building of a memory as much as a model.

I am indebted to you for this.  Thanks for sending it and being patient.  For some reason it had to sit in closet and wait.  It wasn't about the model or the finish, but the journey.  At first, I didn't want to go there but as started the build, the journey was good mostly even though there were some emotional rough spots.  I realized the meaning and truth of the old Dylan song "My Backdoor" and the chorus: "I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now.".   A healing has occurred I think.   I talked it over this past Saturday with my shrink (we're now friends and every Saturday afternoon we meet at a pub), it's I buy a round and he buys around and we just talk or listen to the music. He thinks it was good.   So we both thank you.  And I thank for the forum and followers for putting up with my rambling.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you Mark. Believe me it was all my pleasure. You and the others here have given more than you received as far as I'm concerned. Having companions in a journey such as this means a lot. Some of my road still lies ahead but being able to share a little of it along the way has been priceless.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I looked out and he's shooting at a water buffalo

Nice model,

One of my colleagues at work served in the Serbian army at the artillery (Yugoslavian Civil War)
(Ordinary people such as him had the choice: 2 years of military service or 2 years of prison as compensation because you refuse to join the army).

Once the supply of food to their unit had failed. And a donkey passes by, within reach of their cannon ...
Bang, and there was a big hole in the donkey's body. And the cannon crew had "fresh meat".
Whether donkey was nice to eat, he never told me 🤣.

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Looks good Mark,  it's been fun and very informative watching, thanks 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

38 minutes ago, Backer said:

Whether donkey was nice to eat, he never told me

If the cooks we had in the military got a hold of it it would not have been. I think they could have wrecked the taste of water! :( Believe it or not I can remember breaking open a box of "C" rations for a meal rather than go to the mess hall to eat what they were offering! 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

26 minutes ago, CDW said:

but I ate horse once.

Might I ask WHY?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Might I ask WHY?

I don't mind trying something once, most of the time.

When I was a kid, was visiting my cousin's home (a ranch/farm) and when I looked inside their refrigerator, saw a strange looking big jar of "meat". When I asked my cousin what it was, she answered, "mountain oysters". When I asked why, she answered, "don't you love my lasagna?, well, that's part of the secret recipe." Similar happened when I ate several helpings of some delicious meat at my grandmother's house, then I learned I had eaten several large helpings of cow tongue. 😄

So yeah, I've learned to try things, but I do have my limits. Can't handle raw earthworms or stuff like that. 😄 

lovely build, and lots of fantastic off topic tales (or donkey tails)  to go with it

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice job, Mark, And very glad it helped the healing. Happy we all could help you, Gyrene. Semper Fi.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

super job on the chopper Mark :)   a heartfelt 'second that',  that the project held a hidden benefit for you.   yup.......I myself find plastic to be a huge learning curve..........I must have been working with wood way too long!  I can't believe how much I had to rethink.  I actually amazed myself.........didn't knock off a single gun on the B 17's so far,  but I have one more to go..........there's still a chance for Murphy to intervene ;) 

congratz on a model well done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: