CH-53 Sikorsky by mtaylor - 1:48 - Revell - FINISHED

mtaylor

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

Painting plastic models frightens me to no end.

I'm right behind you VTHokiEE. I bought my first airbrush last year, (A cheep Chinese thing with a dedicated pump) I have yet to use it! Looks like my present build will be my learning curve!:( Luckily I have a bunch of people here that can turn me around hopefully before I screw it up beyond all recognition.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

52 minutes ago, CDW said:

Do you have any old built models laying around and don't have any emotional attachment?

Not anything built, at least not in the last quarter of a century! Several moves and no personal display space have taken their toll I'm afraid.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

19 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Not anything built, at least not in the last quarter of a century! Several moves and no personal display space have taken their toll I'm afraid.

I would have said to try some paper stuck to a board  - draw some lines  or shapes  and like the old  fill in pictures  try your  sprayer  in the different sections to get a feel for it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:02 PM, lmagna said:

I was wondering about that when I started reading your story Mark. Our Command Pilots sat on the right as well. But the actual crew chief sat on the left. Dumb gunners on the right. It is nice to see that at least some of the Marine training is no more sophisticated than in the Army. "Do you know how to load an M-60 and where the bullet comes out?" "Good you are now a gunner." Crew Chiefs got better training stateside as did most gunners but gunners like me slid in the back door TDY and it was pretty much OJT. (On The Job training)

We had a pilot, a co-pilot, 1st mech and the crew chief here in the States.   In 'Nam, it depended on the mission. We would have at least one door gunner and the crew chief would man the other.  If we knew it was a "hot" LZ, then two gunners 9 (one was the 1st mech) and crew chief would stand by the ramp with M-16.   Yeah... wasted efffort using an M-16.  

That paint was only a test.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, popeye the sailor said:

not totally correct on the primer use Mark........if you go with thin coats and use an air brush,  you should be able to use primers with no trouble.  the bad thing about primers and hand brushing,  is depending how long a drying time one gave the primer coat,  brushing over it can cause the primer to become solvent again and blend with the paint.  understandable why he would say that........in any case,  subtle detail can get lost just by using paint in the first place.  paints with high pigment counts will cover better as a thin coat.........this is not specified on any labels,  but it does depend on how much it is thinned down.     you've probably heard canvas painters referring to their paints as 'pigments'.   that is what they are using........color pigments thinned down with small amounts of mineral spirits,  oils,  or water.  I know a fella a while back that was using Jo Santos artist paint on models......I thought he was nutz!  it does work,  but I can't attest if the paint cracks or chips over time........no suspension in it really to bond to plastic.  I've never used acrylics,  but from what I've seen here on the site,  they are just as good as enamels.  glad to see you've laid down some paint :)  

Thanks Denis.  No primer here nor do I have an airbrush.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, VTHokiEE said:

I may have to find your hobby shop and talk to this person. Painting plastic models frightens me to no end. I feel compelled to use an airbrush but anytime I look (window-shop) at airbrushes I get overwhelmed and go hide in a corner :-). 

Well.. painting will start tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.

I had to make another trip the hobby shop... I know, every job requires 3 trips to the store... one to get what you think you need, the second to get what you forgot, and the third to by replacements for what you screw up.

This was more of the screw up trip.  The olive paint that I bought was so light it was almost a Christmas tree green.   So went back, picked up the olive I needed, some odds and ends like 600 grit sanding sheet and some filler putty... just in case.    I looked at the airbrushes and then choked at the price... I quietly asked if they "rented them".... more as choke.   Not about to spend that much money on one model.   

I'm finishing up on cutting out the upper door for the machine gun.  Taking my time and getting "right" not close.   Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll take all the parts down to the kitchen and wash them and let them try.  I should be painting by late afternoon which is when the real fun begins.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

I'm right behind you VTHokiEE. I bought my first airbrush last year, (A cheep Chinese thing with a dedicated pump) I have yet to use it! Looks like my present build will be my learning curve!:( Luckily I have a bunch of people here that can turn me around hopefully before I screw it up beyond all recognition.

I’ll be sure to check out your logs to see the progress! I think I have to hold off until my kids are a little older because I don’t think I have the time for the setup and cleanup (a lot of my modeling is done in 15 minute intervals 😁).

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I looked at the airbrushes and then choked at the price... I quietly asked if they "rented them".... more as choke.   Not about to spend that much money on one model.

Definitely, I would have to make certain that I was going to use it frequently (for ship modeling as well, which I think I could see myself doing eventually). I’m certain that you’ll do a great job painting. Have fun with it!

Mark

If you have a Hobby Lobby store near you, I recommend the Iwata Neo airbrush as a great beginner's airbrush. It's very moderately priced at $59, and with their easy to acquire coupon, you can take 40% off that. The airbrush is easy to use, sprays a beautiful pattern for general airbrush work, and will leave you feeling pretty good about your work when it's all said and done. Of course, you would also want a decent compressor. The little aerosol cans are a bad experience imho.  

Harbor Freight makes One for $69.99.  I have one similar to theirs, both handle up to 40 psi, mine works well with my Badger and Paasche  brushes.  

Actually, better yet, check out our sponsor USA Airbrush Supply. I just checked their site and they have somu starter sets as low as $50. 

Edited by Jack12477

Mark, good to see you getting some build time in until the weather decides to cooperate. That balsa dust can be unpleasant to be sure. The one that REALLY gets me going is Baltic Birch.

Ken, back on the 16th you wondered if the old hangers are still there in Santa Anna. They are, it is hard to see them from I5 (the closest freeway) but sometimes if you look just right you can catch a gimps of them. I recall my brother has a photo of his 28 model A pickup with one of the hangers in the background from a car club trip. Monsters thos building are.

Carry on Mark, airbrush or hand brush, looking forward to the results.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I bought one that is almost identical to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ABEST-action-airbrush-compressor-Complete/dp/B00J91EUG6/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-0-VW5kZXIgJDUw-ac_d_pm&crid=2B7HC7GEL2TT8&cv_ct_cx=airbrush+kit+with+compressor&keywords=airbrush+kit+with+compressor&pd_rd_i=B00J91EUG6&pd_rd_r=62f771f5-7643-4280-b99b-29b15f9c0538&pd_rd_w=3H1rA&pd_rd_wg=RD8Sc&pf_rd_p=b8b03b37-bd30-4468-adff-11c42ccb6582&pf_rd_r=WMVAEDRFK3R72MQNAK95&psc=1&qid=1579375570&sprefix=airbrush+kit%2Caps%2C273

at my local hobby shop for something like $30. So far all I have really done with it is to do like OC suggested and spray random stuff onto a large white cardstock that I have. It seems to work OK for general painting but may have some problems getting down to a fine line. But it is entirely possible that it is my limitation rather than the brush. I must say that the compressor is ultra quiet. I also do not know what pressure the pump puts out as it has no gauge and is not adjustable.

I was also given a Testors Aztek brush with multiple tips, but have not been able to test it as it is missing parts. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My first airbrush compressor was a pump without a tank. The pulsed air-stream affected how the spray did it's job. A tank to even out this pulsing would be better. You might pick up a tank at a big box hardware store without a compressor. Get it filled with air or better yet, dry nitrogen, and you may be able to do multiple sessions with that tank. The dry gas is better so you don't get water into whatever paint you're spraying.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just now, CapnMac82 said:

Because that means he does not have to climb over the cyclic to the left of the seat.

The outfit I worked for had two helicopters and a couple of fixed wing aircraft. Our helicopter pilots always sat on the left, because I rode in the right seat many times. Never thought about it till you mentioned it, but you're correct, the cyclic is on the left.

In the early days, too, that Cyclic was a big honking beast, too--just the right height to clout you in the ankle or the side of the knee.

There was a time, a very brief time, where Doctrine said a/c Commander sat to left so that the Co could focus on the driving.  Brownshoes never grokked that, so, it faded away, just like yesterday's crayons..

Early days of fixed wing, the throttle was on the left, so, that's where OIC sits.

my Spraycraft doesn't have a tank,  and it doesn't pulse.  it does three different speeds and works reasonably well.  out in the garage,  I use my 25 gal Craftsman compressor.  I made an adapter for the airbrush and can regulate the output down to where I need it.  I buy those Testor's Easy air airbrushes........not good for fine stuff,  but work well for large areas.....like hulls.  I'm beginning to stockpile those compressed air cans......figure I'll come up with a use for them ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've washed down the parts, they've dried and I'm starting to lay down paint.   I'm using the brushes and the paint is smoothing out nicely. If was going to do more plastic, I might invest in an airbrush.  But not at this point.

9 hours ago, src said:

Mark, good to see you getting some build time in until the weather decides to cooperate. That balsa dust can be unpleasant to be sure. The one that REALLY gets me going is Baltic Birch.

Yeah, I'm still finding it in the carpet and still settling.  But spring will be here soon enough.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

Because that means he does not have to climb over the cyclic to the left of the seat.

The collective is to the left of the seat to control the amount of pitch on the rotors for lift.  The cyclic sits directly in front of the pilot to control angle of attack and roll.  Somewhere in the back of mind is a memory of being told the pilot sat on the right since that was where the cargo door was (before rear ramps were invented).  He sat there to ensure that everything was "clear" during take-off, landing, etc. when personnel were in the area.  

It wasn't fun getting into either seat with the center consul in the way and then the cyclic in front of the seat.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good to hear  with the paint setting down well  - I know enough people swear by making sure the plastic is really clean  from the release agents they use in manufacture  - so glad your finding your feet in "plastic world"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Mark brushing will be fine  - remember I painted the majority of my Warspite  build   except for the  bottom hull, and she turned out ok, my secret was thin layers  not putting the paint down thick right out of the jars/bottles  etc  but mixed  possibly  by a third  to a half.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That was easier for me  as I was using Acrylic  and used  boiled water  from a kettle (after it had cooled)  to  dilute.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC.  I'm thinning it with distilled water as I've a couple gallons on hand used to cool the Deathstar.  I'm using the jugs not what was in the Deathstar. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks OC.  I'm thinning it with distilled water as I've a couple gallons on hand used to cool the Deathstar.  I'm using the jugs not what was in the Deathstar. ;)

Sounds like a plan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

When I started this, I didn't realize what it would stir up in my memories.   Maybe I should stop writing them, I don't know....

In the squadron, I had mess duty which was a month, twice.  The first time was just after we transitioned to the 53's.  I was a newbie so I got the rotation and ended up in the scullery.  One day during a break and sitting outside, looked up as we heard strange noises. It was one out CH-53's.  Some thought it was "stunting" but it wasn't.  It was out of control.  It disappeared from sight and an hour later, we heard... it's crashed, no survivors.  Those of on mess duty, guard duty, got a day off to go the funeral(s) in the base chapel.  Pretty hard on all of us.  A week or so later, they'd found the cause.   The bleed valve on one of the actuators came loose.  It was lock wired. The day I went back to the squadron, there was an all hands meeting.  We were visited by both Senators from California and about 5 Representatives.   They had just come back from North Island (all the 53's were shipped there for final prep before being issued).  This crash cost a bunch of managers and employees there (a federal installaton) were fired due to negligence and couple do to being drunk.  

My other mess duty was about 6 months later.  I ended up in the spud locker... chopping up veggies, making salads, and pealing potatoes.  This was bit of a punishment for "pushing" to come back to the squadron from TAD to a 2nd level maintenance unit.  A week after starting there, the mess cook in charge went AWOL so, being the senior person, I was put in charge.  This involved ordering supplies, making sure we our goods ready for the cooks, etc.  Had two run-ins with the mess hall OIC.  When mess duty was over, I went back to the squadron.  The Avionics OIC and NCO-in-charge were waiting for me.  I thought I was going to be hung by the yardarm but no... the OIC of the mess hall recommended me for meritorious promotion to Corporal and they wanted to know what happened.  We talked and two days later I had my corporal strips.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Now THAT has to be a first Mark! I don't think I have ever seen a field promotion to E4 for outstanding KP!

In our unit, being on flight status pretty much excused you from all extra duty so after advanced training in Ft Sill Oklahoma I never had to do KP again. Maybe I should have. I didn't see E4, (Specialist first class for us Army types) until I was in country and working as a door gunner. I stayed that rank for the rest of my time in the Army.

About half way through my tour I was pulled from flight status for a little less than a week because I had developed an impacted wisdom tooth and they flew a dentist in to pull it. The guy was a Major and made it pretty clear that he did not take kindly to being pulled out of his plush office and sent out to the boonies where he could be shot to pull a tooth from a lowly E4. The whole process took what seemed to be minutes even when he had to go back in to retrieve a broken root. He gave me just enough pain killer to stop me from screaming and bringing in the medics and possible other help. Then he was gone out of the tent and headed back to where ever he had come from and I never saw him again. 

That afternoon and later night when the pain meds wore off I felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat in the jaw and I had my doubts that I would survive. By morning it was a good thing he was gone, because if I had seen him I think I would have pulled my .45 and shot HIM in the jaw! My face was so swollen that I could not talk. My pillow was totally wrecked it was so full of blood. My Housemaid was in a panic when she saw it, unknown to me and thought I had been shot. I was told she was really upset until she was told what really happened. I was still in pain but luckily I was able to get the company medic to give me something and felt that life just possibly may have been worth living after all. The first day I was pretty much left alone in my misery, but a body drawing pay with nothing to do seems to be something the powers that be could not stand, so I was assigned to the company office for errand duties keeping notes and making coffee or some such. As it turned out I was assigned along with a 2nd Lieutenant whom I did not know who had been pulled off of flight duty because he had contracted VD from one of the local village girls. It was then that I found out that being an officer had a couple of disadvantages as well, one being that his "illness" counted as a black mark on his record as conduct unbecoming to an officer. I think they EXPECTED enlisted men to get it at least once!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

I didn't see E4, (Specialist first class for us Army types)

What years was this, Lou ? When I was in (1965-1967) an E4 was either a Corporal or Specialist Fourth Class. I was E5, Specialist Fifth Class, aka SP5 or Spec5 . They abolished the Specialist ranks E5 to E9 sometime in the 1980s I think and just kept Specialist/Corporal E4 after that. 

Edited by Jack12477

See that shows you how feeble the mind has become over the years.

It was 69-70 and it was Specialist 4th class or as we called it Spec 4. We had Corporals as well even though they were as rare as hens teeth. An E-4 Corporal was in charge of people, usually in a squad or some such infantry type unit. A Specialist was as you probably know just a body filling a slot and not necessarily in charge of other people. I have no idea where I cam up with Specialist first class.:(:unsure:

My parts came in from France at last so I  now have no excuse but to jump in and see how badly I blotch this whole idea. I have a picture in my mind of what I want but as we can all see, my mind may have some serious faults when it comes to connecting with my fingers! Get my honey do's done and try and get a little modeling underway for better or worse.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I have no idea where I cam up with Specialist first class.

It's called a "senior moment", Lou :D

More like a senior condition it seems.:(:unsure:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, show us the parts!!!!!!!   Mine still haven't shown up.  Maybe they went into the Twilight Zone.

No heaviness today.   I've focused on painting.  I'm going to try to paint first (where I can) and then assemble.  Though it looks like somethings should be assembled first like put the sponsons on the fuselage.    I noticed that there will be a lot of "extra" parts.  Apparently Revell made one set of parts to cover everything.   Includes a jeep, and towed howitzer and parts to turn the bird into later models with the added tanks on the sponsons, etc.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: