Finished - Petlyakov PE-2 Soviet Dive Bomber by CDW - Zvezda - 1:48 Scale

CDW

The Zvezda company out of Russia has morphed into one of the top kit producers, offering highly detailed scale models. At one time years ago, their products left a lot to be desired, but somebody put some money and talent into this company as they are now releasing some outstanding models of subjects not found elsewhere. Such as the example here of the WW2 vintage PE-2 Soviet Dive Bomber. I'll be building this model with the addition of an Eduard photo etch set for the interior and exterior, along with a set of canopy masks. In the following photos of the instruction pages, note the tons of detail provided for the engines and other internal details. 

DSCN3353.thumb.JPG.829a3af7a52559f9447a97934fc0497b.JPGDSCN3355.thumb.JPG.ecf271ca1e81d2d76e208a6faf0596b1.JPGDSCN3356.thumb.JPG.e3c670422d9976dc9f28d21a738c8683.JPGDSCN3357.thumb.JPG.1331575eb22255b8b69d72f4be8f6ce6.JPGDSCN3358.thumb.JPG.84720ac646de9729877d5df5320e9d78.JPGDSCN3359.thumb.JPG.9c9e1f14c8b1d26231d686137ae1f882.JPGDSCN3360.thumb.JPG.286262fa43208b48a80a604caa368f63.JPGDSCN3361.thumb.JPG.abbbb1e5d58ed2cfbe64877128e28f86.JPG

Edited by CDW

that's quite a bit of detail..........do you think it needs PE?  ICM does models to this degree.....    gonna be some super camo.  front row!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

that's quite a bit of detail..........do you think it needs PE?  ICM does models to this degree.....    gonna be some super camo.  front row!  ;) 

The answer is a resounding....yes and no 😁

Let me explain. There are three separate sets contained in the Big Ed photo etch set I've got. There is an exterior set, an interior set, and a set of canopy masks. In a perfect world, I would choose which of those three sets I needed and acquire them. However, I was unable to find the sets separately and had to buy all three together in the Big Ed set. Having said that, the exterior set is redundant in certain instances. For example, the exterior set provides radiator grills to replace the kit parts. A close examination of the parts shows me the kit part is just as well detailed as the photo etch part, so it's not needed in my opinion. Not worth the effort or time to install it.

Photo of it:

DSCN3362.thumb.JPG.e9077136982ea0bebcbd3d84d6855e12.JPG

There are other parts associated with the exterior set that will provide detail the kit parts lack. 

In the case of the interior photo etch parts, it's a big yes, it's necessary to me as the photo etch parts provide a level of detail I can't achieve by hand painting the kit parts. The photo etch instrument panels are pre painted and look super nice. Photo:

DSCN3364.thumb.JPG.2366d12b77cba367704e1a15b0affe4b.JPG

And besides the instrument panels, there are seat belts not found in the kit. On the other hand, if I used the pilot/crew figures provided in the kit, I would not need the photo etch seat belts.

Last, the photo etch set contains a pre cut set of canopy masks. I don't know about you, but I hate cutting micro thin strips of masking tape to mask a canopy. It's time consuming, tedious, and generally a pain in the rear. So yeah, I think canopy masks are totally worth it.

So the verdict? I am certain one could build a very nice model straight from the box. If I could buy things separately, I would buy the pre painted instrument panels/seat belts, and the canopy masks. And that's it, that's all.

So there...it's a long answer but the short of it always is, do whatever you enjoy doing because in the end, you're the only one who has to be happy about it when it's finished.

whole heartedly agree........I have always thought,  believed,  complained,  kicked a can,  that there are too much detail lost by molded plastic parts.   I have the perfect case in point.........and as I recall,  you had another project where you cut back on the PE use,  due to the part being better than adding the PE.  this kit is really nice.........for the scale,  it ought to be ;)   personally,  I'd do the seat belts rather than add the figures.  logic being,  that if the figures are use,  the model should be in a flying pose,  on a stand.......gear up.   parked,  one looks in the canopy and sees the seat belts {dunno.......I'm just nostalgic that way  :D }   but your the commandant.......I know you'll do this one the justice it deserves!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I had heard this was a Nice Kit and by the looks of the instructions lots of little bits.I have to agree on some of the PE and why we even go all out on interiors we will never see again once closed?To be more intimate in or knowledge of said A/C maybe sometimes it's fun.Lou is talking in his thread we go to far with our details when really probably 60% of my builds are OOB and what I what to look right is the paint.I will keep an eye on this one with a couple others starting.;) Kevin

1 hour ago, Javlin said:

Lou is talking in his thread we go to far with our details

Sorry you read it that way Javlin. What I was trying to say is that the builds on this site set a high standard of perfection. While in many cases this includes after market additions it never goes too far in my opinion. After market or not, it will be a challenge for someone of my skill level to build something as nice as what is being shown here on MSW. That is not limited to aircraft or even plastic models. The talent here is impressive and the attention to detail legend.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

really nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really like your engine detailing there, Craig. Nicely done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Excellent start mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

This is a progress update going through step one through step twenty three. The photos don't look like much except a couple of wings until you go back to my first post to examine steps 1 - 23 and see the detail that goes inside the wings. A remarkable amount of detail which can be seen to some extent but a lot of it is buried. One engine nacelle is closed while the other will be open to expose the detailed engine, oil tank, and piping.

The wheel wells have great detail right out of the box. You'll notice my landing gear has not yet been installed and won't be installed until the aircraft has been painted.

This is without a doubt one of the best detailed and well fitting kits I have built. The model would lend itself well to a diorama where a crew was performing maintenance. I won't do one with this kit, but will consider doing another as a diorama. 

DSCN3409.jpg.32853e646d101dd411e5f71501163512.jpgDSCN3410.jpg.3233cbbbf2121fcf7e8eb76c88cea539.jpgDSCN3411.jpg.81bc69565d8ae30b088e0c7bfcb992d7.jpgDSCN3412.thumb.jpg.4ac27c02c4ec2f07d7ca97bf8adb9000.jpgDSCN3413.jpg.36a6df5248faafdde7af889013fb7363.jpgDSCN3414.jpg.aef97f385649dd8203aaa19caba5206b.jpg

Some lovely detail on those wings should paint up a treat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I know it will turn out swell   some different  colours  from the normal  with that tri colour scheme.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Do they identify the parts in the instructions Craig? It looks like the plane had some interesting features. Movable leading wing edge, dive flaps or breaks under the wing like they later installed under the P-38 wings. If that is what they are then this plane was pretty innovative for the day. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

Do they identify the parts in the instructions Craig? It looks like the plane had some interesting features. Movable leading wing edge, dive flaps or breaks under the wing like they later installed under the P-38 wings. If that is what they are then this plane was pretty innovative for the day. 

No, they do not identify the various parts. Certainly, those are dive brakes under the wings but I'm not sure if those are slats on the leading edge. Maybe, but not sure.

The only slightly disappointing aspect of this kit are the clear parts. They are not crystal clear, rather a little foggy. Acceptable but not as high quality as the rest of the kit.

5 hours ago, CDW said:

They are not crystal clear

I know you don't really like the stuff, but again it seems that many people just dip their clear parts in Future and set them aside to drip dry to a clear finish. I have only done it once, but that was with a windshield that was already pretty clear.

It's too bad that the model companies don't identify the parts anymore. As a kid I learned so much this way and it was always helpful knowing what the item actually did. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

I know you don't really like the stuff, but again it seems that many people just dip their clear parts in Future and set them aside to drip dry to a clear finish. I have only done it once, but that was with a windshield that was already pretty clear.

It's too bad that the model companies don't identify the parts anymore. As a kid I learned so much this way and it was always helpful knowing what the item actually did. 

In this case, it's not a matter of not liking Future, it's that the clear plastic is not clear, it's foggy from the inside out. Future can't fix that, but I guess it can't hurt to try and see what happens. What I have said before is that I've had mixed results spraying Future through an airbrush to use as a clear coat on a painted model. 

In this case it is not spraying, but dipping he part and setting it aside to drip dry.

But if your stuff is foggy on the inside then I guess the only answer would be to make a plug and vacuform new glass. A lot of work!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, CDW said:

I guess the lack of clarity came from imperfection on the outside.

I am SUPER glad it worked.:champagne: There is nothing worse than having a beautiful model wrecked by a poor or broken part.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Fantastic looking work Craig. So neat and detailed. I still HATE that all that is supplied these days in the instructions is a number and possibly a suggested color! There are so many things in your pictures that would be nice to know what they were for certain.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Both halves of the fuselage interior have been built out and are ready for joining. The port side carries the pilot and radio operator/gunner, while the starboard side carries the co-pilot/navigator/gunner

It's interesting to me the gun layout on this aircraft/dive bomber. Two heavy machine guns are carried in the nose, while there is a waist gun mount interchangeable between port and starboard, then there's a dorsal gun just behind the pilot as well as an auto cannon carried in the ventral position for strafing targets to the rear as the plane flies past. The plane is on the small side for a twin engine bomber, but everything is neatly packed inside the aircraft. 

The bomb bay gives an excellent illustration of why I believe some of the photo etch is redundant/not useful. The photo etch set provides numerous pieces for upgrading the bay, but as you can see from the photos, none of it would be visible unless the bombs were left out. I opted to include the four bombs in the bay and eliminate the photo etch. Realistically, the kit parts are very good in detail anyway as it is. In addition to the bomb load shown, there are two heavy bombs carried under the wings. I've seen reference photos of PE-2's carrying rockets under each wing as well. That would have been an interesting option if it was offered or as an aftermarket set.

DSCN3425.jpg.33dd31f334c7496a01f9baff32bccb26.jpgDSCN3426.jpg.8d787695394f107097c3310ad4d8da53.jpgDSCN3427.jpg.a296986bdc2f5ce8e9c02149a8edb921.jpgDSCN3428.jpg.7968eb135c38f509a5c3c6ac32d86d42.jpgDSCN3429.jpg.32472c8f7c2f434c361b1e69c72bf06d.jpgDSCN3430.jpg.0e1900e6a4cb9e5936b01c36cb0dbfa1.jpgDSCN3431.jpg.0891c9445bce72dbae1d98b33e70b669.jpg