Revell B 17 'Memphis Belle' - 1:72 by Popeye the Sailor - finished

Denis, 

Finally caught up with your numerous builds although I think you dropped a juggling club over on the Marcel Bloch build😏😉.

You seem to be doing good on the Belle, she's looking dandy 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looking really nice!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

thanks all for the kind comments and the likes :)  I haven't done much other than add a few more decals.  I hope to have more soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

there was a sense of doom of late for our great war bird.   I decided to try and tidy up the nose panels.   the first problem was the decals........I looked through the 'now' immense collection of 1:72 B 17 decals I've acquired during the B 17 glut.......and I don't have another pair of 'babes' in the event I can't save them.  so I tried.......got a large piece of used decal paper from the trash and got it wet,  hoping that there is enough adhesive on the paper to be able to put them back on with no trouble.  this part was relatively easy...they came off even though they have been on there a while.   I don't have the ball turret guns or the tail guns in place yet,  but the waist, nose and top guns are there........just waiting to be knocked off {Murphy waits with bated breath}.   the port side was a no go for the removal prospects.......it was firmly cemented in place.  what I did was scrape down the edges that were raised......to my shame,  there was even some flash that I had missed.

1014775419_1.jpg.abbd9a8751b6ab2e12562bdd7ba15e97.jpg

sanding it down to make it look better,  it was touched up with paint.........I tried putting more along the top to fill in the thin gap that is there.  it didn't totally work,  but it does look a little better.  the decals are back on now and there is some improvement :) 

877862410_2.jpg.9f05b15b45e22316564f2fa46def9519.jpg  653762381_3.jpg.7c4e6ddd834fb70ed27bdeb60a336fb7.jpg

the norden bomb sight fell victim to brash handling.......knocked out of place.   I also noticed that the bombardier's seat was at an angle too...looks as though it got pushed by the port gun when the halves were cemented together...had to fix that.   I wasn't going to do much with the starboard side panel........thinking that it would be impossible to remove as well.  but I tried anyway.  all went well until I got to the lower corner aftward....the panel snapped off leaving it there :(   I wasn't going to try to remove it,  but I did and......of course Murphy saw his chance..........it popped off onto the floor!  I searched for a while.....not having much success.  then things got a little more complicated.........Gibbs came over seeing his chance for a 'cuddlefest'.  we had given him a bath the other day,  so { as all American Eskimos are} he was 'extra' fluffy.  this is bad,  because if he lays on the floor,  the I fear all will be lost!  the part may stick to his fur,  and god knows where it will end up!  but Murphy miscalculated the telemetry of the flying part.........it had landed on my seat cushion...between my legs  :D 

727214810_4.jpg.37354150878caa151982a51c54b8703a.jpg  1750287813_5.jpg.31bfc4f10571738e3ed2a154d5a545af.jpg

in the picture to the left,  the broken piece is the triangular looking blotch next to the other olive blotches.   apparently,  the big difference in the many variants of the B 17,  is this starboard side window arrangement.  I dug out the other variants and noticed that they are all shaped the same way.  the gun cold be centralized as I have it here..........or it could be centrally raised,  or raised toward the front of the panel

1563895572_6.jpg.046918f91da4ee317658e66bafe887ba.jpg  754301865_7.jpg.49de37c88b166673f03e0634328496ad.jpg

I put on the maskings when I did all the other parts....guess that was smart on my part ;)   I'm going to confirm that I'm using the right panel.........but in the meantime,  I will repair the one I took off.

839935851_8.jpg.42847b5cf912913452a31d8042cc25f6.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I had to see the doctor today...the referral to that vascular Dr.   basically there is a one way check valve in the vein to my leg that need to be closed off.  not to worry........there are two other veins that do the same job.  as a matter of fact....if they need to transplant a section of blood vessel anywhere in the body,  this is usually the vein they use ;)   easy procedure.......done in-shop.  won't be until six weeks......until then,  I need to wear a compression sock.  more as it happens......

anyway.......I did another dry fit before I left.....thought you might like to see it.

149869101_1.jpg.191b86bfd65dbeed080b01c00e6a9368.jpg  400302040_2.jpg.b5c63d8f5ef5bb7954fccb0dffd84393.jpg

662182200_3.jpg.26a1331c929a768b4c74d49b2262a9e2.jpg  923829441_4.jpg.5ae3f3a4fdc7a0e87a0c26e4c356a577.jpg

yea......the fuselage got a case of the measles........haven't done the wings yet.   .......and yes,  I goofed again.  the panels should have been the raised panels rather that the flush mount windows.  I could change the starboard window since I have it out,  but the overall plane wouldn't look right.  so I'll put that one back on.  I'd rather get another kit and start from square one.   I did add one more decal to the mix.......below the port gun window,  there is a single swastika that was not on the kit decal sheet.  I have the letters and numbers sheet and it has bomb run markings and kill stats.......got it from there.  if I get another kit,  I'll re-decal this one to an unnamed bomber......but that's the future ;)   

after some cleaning and trimming,  the window panel was cemented back in place......looks much better.

2145725057_5.jpg.bb76c7641f7fadfcff6d3213e2561742.jpg...and with the decals restored.....

1023362327_6.jpg.250bf44877965f3a64ca3a89a6075654.jpg  490219435_7.jpg.b8cf903d997837899f32c8f617da54d7.jpg 

the Norden bomb sight was put back in place...

759941601_8.jpg.c31c117c374edea458502096686f3c60.jpg

the nose has also been cemented in place.   the repair work is done.......mov'in on :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice recovery brother...

Anyway you go it will be a nice B-17....  there were thousands of schemes to choose from.....

Praying everything turns out fine with the doc...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Same sentiment  as EG,  doe s that cause loss of  sensation and feeeling  in the one leg?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice job Popeye - coming along great!  Wishing you the best on the recovery.  Get well soon my friend.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Denis, I hope all goes well in the medical area for you.  The bomber looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Also wishing you well with your leg Denis. The Belle?? looks fine, nice recovery.

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

thanks to all for the well wishes.......I'm alright.  the left leg gets pretty sore by the end of a work day,  and so far,  everything I've done to get rid of the sore,,,,lesion...whatever you want to call it,  on the side of my heel,  hasn't worked too good,  and is one of the symptoms.  they were supposed to check out both legs,  but the tech only did my left leg.   I have to wear compression socks for six weeks before we can get to planning the procedure.  at that time,  they will do the ultrasound to my right leg,  but it's a sure bet they will need to do both.  it all outpatient.......minimally invasive,  so I won't have to deal with any real down time........just can't overdo for a week.   ....not a tough pill to take ;)   it hard to believe,  but some folks elect to have an amputation,  rather than have what I'm going to have done.  I would imagine they might have an extreme case.....I've seen pictures of some really nasty stuff :o

it's estimated that around 50 % of the folks in my age group,  have some form of this condition........unless it gets to the point that it makes itself known,  most don't even know there is a problem.

I guess I should finish this up.........I started to write this,  this morning.  since then,  I've walked the dog,  mowed the lawns,  assembled an oscillating fan,  and other small tasks around the house.  tangents just don't apply to my model building  :D   so of all this,  I'm fine........the procedure should be a piece of cake,  and it's still a ways off yet :)   I appreciate the kind comments and support........and yea,  the bomber isn't look'in half bad either  ;)   more to come........I hope to do some decal work on the wings,  so I can finally get them on the plane.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking forward to more update Denis  - keep em  coming mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I got a little progress done..........got some more decals on............then the fridge issue hit,  and there went my morning :angry:   one small mishap.........I have accumulated quite a collection of decals for the B 17.   ....you figure I ordered a set for the Nine........then a set for the Wulfe Hound.  I had the pack I was working from up on top of my printer.   I reached for it and some of the cut pieces of decals fell into the water that was directly below.  I managed to use a few for the MB 200 {since there aren't too many decals for it},  but sadly,  the rest went into the trash.   I added some more to the fuselage........but the bulk of the work went into the wings.   I had selected and cut out a bunch of them,  and I needed to get them on........tired of picking them up off the floor {wind effect}.

1111848310_1.jpg.444ef3041cb33125406b1b24c18193bc.jpg

884453317_2.jpg.02a41404230cd1f9511d38ea7ed5e36e.jpg

I'll see if I can get more done tomorrow..........no surprise though that there are errands to run.   we'll see how that goes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What is it about decals  - have a mind of thier own,    looking nice  Denis   do you bother to settle yours down with Micro Sol  etc?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Coming on Denis,  (oh less beans and cabbage should lessen the wind) 😉😋

Current builds;

Completed:

knocking them on the floor with my arm actually, Ed.........I had them in a pile off to the side.   I have been very lucky with the wind aspect........even have the ceiling fan going ;)   I use decal set OC.........I use it when there is a lot of panel lines  and contours.

I have an update on her progress.   as mentioned,  I've added more decals around the engines and the fuselage.

832066731_1.jpg.9b9d96a84581dbc0b7053cf47d9ffc6d.jpg

676192087_2.jpg.2f1d215b99d00301e28e232e13d5b6a6.jpg

the decals are now cleared up.....a little less clutter on the desk.........the wings are assembled onto the fuselage.

1924378129_3.jpg.3a41cbdb6d83ce0c7453123568931233.jpg

1526088541_4.jpg.257e2d85ecad07d86a289b1bd15e51dc.jpg

1296818736_5.jpg.07195f30e322309e1e371b05e9cd5eb4.jpg

one of the nose guns broke off.........so that will be repaired.  here are the props

219490102_6.jpg.66364efea70d32e75b68acc63d425c77.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking REALLY nice Denis. You must be getting the hang of building B-17s.:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Now she is looking the business  Denis  - very nice work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks :)  OC & Lou........one more day of work........I might be  able to finish it  ;)    I should say anything,  butt the existing guns have faired well...haven't broken any off .  actually,  all of  the B 17's so far have been good in that respect.  near the end of the last session,  the luck failed on the nose guns.......one of them broke off.  there's still the belly turret and tail guns to add to the mix.  they will be the last part to be put on.

thanks for all the likes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very Nice Dennis...

Anticipating it being finished........

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Getting there nicely.

I'll look forward to the end result Denis 😁

Current builds;

Completed:

thanks for the good word gents :)   I would have done something on her today,  but I got saddled with a couple outside chores.  I did get the broken gun back on though.  I hope to get her back on the table tomorrow........good chance I can finish her off  ;)    thanks again for all the interest!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I kept to my word today..........the Memphis belle was back on the table.   of course there was a short interlude with another project,  but I'll get to that one when I really start to build the model.   flipping her over,  once I got a sturdy box to lay her on,  I got a better look at the gap along the mating of the nose.   I couldn't pull the nose together when it was time to join the halves.......likely something to do with that round part under the bombadier's station.  I'll fill it with window maker and touch it up......should do well in getting rid of it ;)   the bomb bay doors are the focus here........the two doors and the four arms that open and close them.

2114033614_1.jpg.165e72f8f88ee47ae8cc2ab932dd1c0f.jpg yup!........heard ya gasp! ;) 

1442466038_2.jpg.a88ef3f15259c2e8ed287f63bbadaf63.jpg

I know........the belly turret is an eyesore........not too much thought in the color dept.   too late to change it now.......pretty sure the colors are what the instructions said.......I'll look it up,  if only for future reference.  the gun barrels are installed,  as you can see.   the tail guns are too.

36248835_3.jpg.a8b417e8519e0450835e7102ab47a3f5.jpg

263796445_4.jpg.f57c259db77d941dffd26c1fa8da2523.jpg

2024963280_5.jpg.6e0137efb76437041bcf3ff474c801d5.jpg

closed up the gap reasonably well.......could add another layer,  but since no one I know will be looking at the under belly,  it passes muster  ;)   hey........we're done here.........let's go do some dorsal work.  the antenna has been cemented in place already.........now to drill a hole in the vertical stabilizer and CA in some thin wire,  my old stand by :) 

2088175778_6.jpg.b3bb4734eeddfeac025be4c528524199.jpg

a hole was drilled through the starboard side wall of the navigator's station,  and the second line was run to it.  I kept the feed end short,  or it would be seen through the dome glass.

1169744725_7.jpg.9d70d0ee74b68471b10dcb24052a76b4.jpg

it was painted flat black and the rest of the job was touched up.   now........we move onto the wings and put the props on the engines.

501471771_8.jpg.ca74ca8620e68129ae3f9c336ca76c6b.jpg

1411193670_9.jpg.035fe495fad84168bd1759b580d00597.jpg

this too a whole ten mins............if I'd stop dropp'in stuff.   with a quick look over,  I call this plane done :)   you can't really see how close,  but this is how close the belly turret is to the ground in the lowered position.

910512902_10.jpg.fc908db74aa1c7bb4d6eca6d705a7978.jpg

the gallery is next......want to do something special.  I'll have a better picture of this then.   thanks for look'in in and following along

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

....and here are the gallery pictures :)    I wanted to print pages of asphalt and tape them together to put the plane on..........but apparently,  the ink cartridges must be dust by now.  I haven't used the printer for some time now :(   it's a bust,  but I saved the images for future projects.   this is a very good kit......can't stress this enough.  I could have gotten closer to the subject.....there are some mistakes.  this plane is a great subject....worthy of taking another stab at her...........but not at this time ;)   I have a few more projects I'd like to do.........but the call of the boat is getting stronger......I recently started the Steingraber twins,  but the room is pretty warm {been hot here},  so I haven't wanted to spend a lot of time in there.

I hope I did the Memphis Belle some justice. :dancetl6:

667313108_1.jpg.2cebda65e46435407c25393f6195edd2.jpg

778657020_2.jpg.aef9ad1997477ba240288ae57e39fa11.jpg

1401121302_3.jpg.938d05da5b889ba59cefb8b75d8c92a8.jpg

1221388993_4.jpg.db4bd6c189dbeeca83487aa477daba60.jpg

1316199083_5.jpg.e0a5cf96407ac52b6fce14294b852d5c.jpg

683805944_6.jpg.809d1a3c84017728d7ee8aa9589b6eef.jpg

1413800978_7.jpg.3c6778e90677d8104f321d5db6941421.jpg

693565271_8.jpg.646692054d4ab749d92f33ba85cfa042.jpg

1565710563_9.jpg.43f17eadc2ff00baf5ce4e4633fee531.jpg

with the project finished,  she will join the other two B 17's..........distinguished planes of honor,  of time past.

1745929809_10.jpg.48cdcbb3a02cec91f9f8bc73e615781e.jpg

1850422742_11.jpg.3c7bce8d1c94d41487e45b7605ecd944.jpg

again........thanks for your following along and your many comments and suggestions....... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice Job my friend....

You almost have a flight..... (need one more)

Quote:

She looks great Denis  - credit to you for keep going and overcoming some of the hick ups you had, she really looks the part now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nicely done, Denis.  Looks super.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)