Revell B 17 'Memphis Belle' - 1:72 by Popeye the Sailor - finished

so......progress has been made.  not real huge;  just cleaning up sprue marks on parts,  denoting top and bottom,  and assembling a few parts that will see same color paints.   of course it all starts with the wings and fuselage.

2051488667_1.jpg.6460e3fe29567911542ae826a4b279ef.jpg

after adding radio and navigation equipment on the bomb bay bulkheads,  the assembly that I started with earlier was slid into the fuselage for the first time,  to check the fit.  I usually need to trim the edges to improve the fit,  but in this case,  I don't think I will need to.  the fuselage closes up perfectly........the kit is THIS good!

1373248894_2.jpg.1be7e7ca72ca71fe834b684632df20c7.jpg  1507918122_3.jpg.32f3f040039ed506dd8369ae970d50f7.jpg

the mating surfaces on the halves are flawless,  as is the rest of the kit.....again I mention how thin the plastic is.........very high precision.  the bomb bay cavity,  even though it is not complete,  looks really good.

1813738734_4.jpg.cdc61b23afd9b5ccc0f53c8af935fec7.jpg

other parts were assembled and readied for paint.  I usually paint before assembly,  but a lot of this will be hidden once the fuselage is joined.  I hope not.

862671514_5.jpg.2c16aedaa05c647cd9d9277c21f73f62.jpgthe bombardier position

1063685542_6.jpg.9e69eec30865428a01e7b0fdc9fdf375.jpg

the navigation bulkhead with equipment racks.......I failed to show the platform that joins it.  there will be seating........

1723834975_7.jpg.319f2e0c7090aa32277bbaf21b55990e.jpg

oh.....there's the platform in the background....the belly ball turret fits in that hole.

1372275129_8.jpg.3761beb96c6225822c7935ff7e5887c8.jpg

I don't want to make the mistake as I did with the Nine o Nine........best to get the gist on the top and bottom here.   there's a tiny bit more.....I'll show you when they are painted.   more soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

.....not too sure,  but I think I started a B 17 movement :D   my luck seems to have kept me building F models

And you stumbled into my other passion, historical research...... If you want to do a "G" compatible to the Belle your building, that RG kit that Javelin posted pics of is better than most....

The box art is of the "Little Miss Mischief" B-17G 42-97880 who also saw more than her share of action. She eventually would wind up flying her last 14 or 15 mission with parts from no less that 13 different B-17's. Her nose and basic wing structure was from her original frame built in the Burbank Lockheed Vega plant while her tail came from from Seattle Boeing plant and was painted olive drab. She had that BMF/Olive Drab color scheme for the rest of her 51 missions.... it is believed that the tail section came from B-17G 42-31405 "Wallaroo Mk II " reg # BN-X

42-97880-photo-1024x759.jpg

Happy to be here my friend and glad to be helpful in some little way....

floor1.gifturret1.gif

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

WOW!!!   heads or tails :D   I guess if you want the best of both worlds,  this would be the one to model ;)   it is funny you mention that...this kit will also build the Shamrock Special,  but it also has the nose turret and the cockpit glass for the G variant as well.   there are three different configurations for the navigation glass,  and I'm sure there are provisions to lose the extra glass around the nose.   the one thing that Robert pointed out that I failed to mention,  is that the instructions are a bit vague,  as to the change over to the different variants.  it numbers steps......like 46 and 46A....what is that?....doesn't tell you anything.  so I'm having to compare the model to pictures of the Memphis Bell,  to be sure I don't goof up anything.   the instructions show you drawings of the sprues with some of the parts darkened...likely to denote that they are not to be used {as the Memphis Belle}.

thanks for the picture.......even though it made me sad. ♻️

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

She will be a superb model denis  looking forward to more.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

My understanding of that kit you can build 3-4 different variations of B-17 from that kit from an early "F" model to a late "G" model... They figured that to build the version they depict on the cover, a simple "greying out" of the parts you won't use was the most efficient way to go for the builder... but they don't actually tell you that in the instructions do they? 

It's a great kit and f you do your research and know what your looking at you can pretty much build any mid-latewar B-17 from that molding....

A couple more of "Little Miss Mischief...... (and she carried both type tail turrets during her service life)

imageproxy.jpg.b8d41b0983242634273e0763ece0dfb6.jpgKxtSswT4_o.png.13606b7b8a82ae041c5f7b1dd9d7ccd7.png

Note the left wing outer section is OD over Grey and the Ailerons & Elevators are new aluminum painted fabric, the Rudder & tail turret is NMF ....

side4.gif

Last picture is flak damage from a different raid than the first picture. She was definitely in the thick of it.....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Ok I"m going to stop de-railing your Belle build.....  Sorry...

Quote:

You're so correct about how, as we get older, we start to really appreciate the workmanship and history that belong to these replica kits. With each new build, I'd say that learning the history on the real airships, ships etc. is the most rewarding part that I get with building the model. Keep up the excellent work! I've learned so much from modelers like yourself with these posts. Many thanks.

Robert O

I'm sure that I'm not the only guilty person that has bought a second kit of the same model.   the security of having built the model before and a better sense of direction are two comforting facts.........every kit of the same subject is different in some way.   they can keep going with the multi variant kit.......my spare parts bin will thank them for it :)   it doesn't matter what plane it is........B 17.........B 24.......P 51......P 47....P 40.......they all have enough subject matter,  to keep the mind busy.  I knew a guy that only built Lancasters......he had quite a number of these planes.......all with various degrees of difference.

as mentioned,  there is no indication of which example pertains to which variant...I've always found this confusing.  I have done kits that tell you which is which...guess it depends on the manufacturer of the kit.  I note that the wheel wells depict the interior color.  I went out and bought two bottles of Zinc Cromate......but to me,  it looks more yellow than green.  is this the correct color?

you don't need to thank me Robert......it's the evolution of the medium........and our evolution as well.  I still see the dangers of it...but it's all in how we use it ....... ....and learn from it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

14 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I went out and bought two bottles of Zinc Cromate......but to me,  it looks more yellow than green.  is this the correct color?

My understanding was they were green, but as they aged, like all the other colors, they faded, eventually to yellow, then eventually to grey.... So it would really depend on the time period your depicting as to what color it was.... Personally the areas that were shaded most of the time stayed green the longest. Wheel wells were shaded most of the time so I would go with green....

Quote:

here's a couple pictures from last night.......

1698990032_1.jpg.92de8e60b722e4a9f006834326c1a002.jpg  1743867605_2.jpg.3727387882855c0ece54be7fa6a61cda.jpg

911191330_3.jpg.41e6e551957df8b4e19fcc8ececa6a2a.jpg

this morning,  I got more done.  I decided to go back to the first page of the instructions.....to the bomb bay racks.  I kinda had to feel my way through it,  because I took the parts off the sprues.   the outer rack girders are shaped in such a way,  to fit in the wing roots.   sliding one in place,  the assembly was slid into place to check the fit.  it fits perfectly.

1370171985_4.jpg.4e1ae2341d92245966d627eb607a46bc.jpg

the racks need to be glued to the girders.......only one side { the inner side} has the bomb release holders........I got scared 'cuz I couldn't find the ones for the outer racks {silly rabbit}.

1426545735_5.jpg.d3ac343baef59b86ad0e2aaf211f3a4d.jpg

the racks were glued to the outer girders,  once I knew the direction of the shaping.  the bomb bay doors need to be installed when the rack assembly is cemented in place.....I need to split them.  I tried to put the in behind the outer girders,  but I saw this was wrong,  due to the 1/4 inch gap in the fuselage halves.  looking at the instructions,  they are to be set in the open or closed position.

1447516024_6.jpg.c554a45fca2a1bf2deef2447665ee855.jpg

slid in place at the moment,  the assembly went back in the fuselage half..........

2073377162_7.jpg.655343f1b43e7b9f82e5dae78f226c72.jpg

I also glued the tail landing gear tub in place too........again impeccable fit!   closed up,  the fit is very good.

264721289_8.jpg.55b78ae033b2395a4cb133ea3c1d593f.jpg

looking down......I felt I was being watched........

954277441_9.jpg.460b3f05a8303a5001e9fb9a2fca8dcc.jpg

I know that look.........you want to go out.......huh?!?!   a bit blurry from all the action going on........yea bud,  lets go out :)   it's really nice outside.

711491935_10.jpg.abe490b07580993a7d8185eee9d95f70.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks.....the color is a cromate on the green side.......perhaps I can add some green to it to attain the color.  according to the instructions it can be either green or aluminum.   these planes were painted during the early part of the war,  but by the time that the G variant came into service,  the direction of painting faded along with the paint....they started using them in bare aluminum.   I do have several different shades of drab.......I will make do.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks like a Focke Wulf........interesting shot.   if it was an attack,  the belly turret is pointed the wrong way.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

11 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the belly turret is pointed the wrong way.

Yeah, it would be almost vertical pointed down as it spun trying to track, you would see both barrels.... Unfortunately, the FW would be long gone out of range.....

Quote:

The detail is amazing Denis  and more so at 1/72.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

17 minutes ago, tomwilberg said:

Léon did show a gun attack on an approaching B-17. 

He was a great flier....  The classic attack for an FW on an "F" model 17 was a nose on attack... Shortest on target time, but most vulnerable angle with the least risk..... The chin turret was developed to counter this tactic...

Quote:

The Fortress went straight in some 1000‘ at 130kts, the FW came down straight down from 6high at 4000‘, high speed approach, passed low under the Fortress and pulled up just in front. The best was the „Geronimo!“ on the air band radio.   Big fun. 

You are right: This was for show, a kill would come from 12high, an undisturbed 2 second burst would have cut the Fortress in halves.   Showing such an attack in federal German airspace would have brought Léon directly into deep trouble.   😉

Greetings

Thomas

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

looking down......I felt I was being watched........

954277441_9.jpg.460b3f05a8303a5001e9fb9a2fca8dcc.jpg

I know that look.........you want to go out......

What breed is it, Denis? Face looks like my Corgi's face - see my avatar picture

Edited by Jack12477

Awesome build of a legendary warhorse!

Here's a really cool stop action video build of an Airfix kit by Tom Gringat on youtube that's strangely calming to watch...

Edited by BobCardone
Added builder's name

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

youse guys...........your baiting me aren't you!  that looks to be a Revell kit........the deicing panel on the rudder fin is interesting :)   I'll have to keep this one in mind {yea......you peaked my interest}.  you did a superb job on her Mark ....super detail paint!

my two favorite German planes of WWII are the Foke Wulf and the Stuka....WWI ......anything built by Fokker.    you must have this book in your library Thomas?

142750918_8.jpg.735ca7345221459d52059a2fcef46519.jpg

the Luftwaffe studied the B 17.......at one time,  the KG 200 had around twenty of them.  check out the Wulfe Hound log.......I have a soft spot for obscure subjects.  I had fun build her :)  

hey Jack.........Gibbs is an American eskimo.  he's kind of a half pint.......may have been the runt of the litter.  that's his usual station when I'm at my desk...other than that,  he goads me into the living room,  and we sit together on the couch.   sticks to me like glue ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

31 minutes ago, marktiedens said:

I think I got that far left engine cowling 180 off

Yeah it looks like it, and back then there was no internet either, that's how you missed the OD/Grey wing tip also, you can't do it if you don't know about it........

Nice build though of a very venerable kit........

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

my two favorite German planes of WWII are the Foke Wulf and the Stuka....WWI ......anything built by Fokker.

Denis, someone was saying that you have an affinity for the DO-200 also..... hear tell you built a model of it.... :-) 

Quote:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

my two favorite German planes of WWII are the Foke Wulf and the Stuka....WWI ......anything built by Fokker.    you must have this book in your library Thomas?

Popeye,

actually, I don‘t.

let put some comments:  „StuKa“ is an abbreviation for Sturzkampfflugzeug - dive bomber. The Luftwaffe had in the mid 30ies no real good bombsight, so they decided to deliver ordnance in a vertical way. Like the U.S. navy did, too. Since that is a general term, there where a number of different type capable of dive bombing. The largest of them should be the He 177, which is kind of a huge bird for such a business.

I think you refer to the Junkers Ju 87.

Focke-Wulf and Fokker are two different companies like Lockheed and Boeing.

Fokker was famous for his WW1 planes like the dr.1 triplanes and the d.vii built in the city Schwerin. When Germany was denied to build planes after the war, Anthony Fokker moved to his home country, the Netherlands. His company existed until the 1990ies.

Focke and Wulf where two aircraft engineers working together from the 1930ies in Bremen. Wulf died early, Focke restarted after WW2, designed Helis, cars and others up to the 1960ies.

Greetings

Thomas

Edited by tomwilberg

I'm guessing the Focke Wulf you cite, Popeye, are the FW-190 and Ta152 series fighters. I'm a fan of them too.👍;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I'm guessing the Focke Wulf you cite, Popeye, are the FW-190 and Ta152 series fighters. I'm a fan of them too.👍;)

The FW-190  was the reason the Spit got a new engine in the IX  model   so it could take on the FW   as earlier models spits were out paced by the german.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.