HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Stunning Cutter, Tim, she looks gorgeous. 

You should be very pleased with yourself and rightly so!!😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Beautiful model Tim - you must be justifiably very proud. Well done!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

She's beautiful @VTHokiEE! The flag also looks very realistic

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Nicely done Tim, it looks great.  I’m sure you are justifiably proud of your work. I’m impressed with how much you’ve learned and how far you came form your start.  It’s a great model!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

@Blue Ensign Thank you - your log was truely an inspiration and I appreciate all the help you (and @DelF, @glbarlow, @Gregory and everyone else gave me on the way).

@chris watton I also can't thank you enough for all your patience and help on the build. You did a wonderful job designing it and every new release looks that much better!

@drjeckl @Oboship @Edwardkenway @James H Thank you all for the comments! Photos will be placed in the gallery shortly.

@WalrusGuy I appreciate it - I'm pleased with how that flag came out and I feel like it gives the ship a little something extra (splash of color or something 😁)

Well done my friend  you  have done a truly  splendid job  - everything about her looks spot on perfect  - a real credit to your hardwork  and commitment  - just needs a home now.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Forgive me if you've already answered, but what do you plan to build next? I'll be sure to be in the front row seat ready with popcorn! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

VTHokiEE,

She looks perfect.

Your pictures are top notch and the painting, colouring and cleanliness of the build is way up there.

Will she be harboured in the 'shipyard' or perhaps find calm waters in a living room?

Richard

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

what do you plan to build next?

There’ll be a slight intermission (I want/need to finish the NRG half hull) but I’m a huge fan of Ancient Greece/Rome so I picked up the MarisStella Liburnian Monoreme kit for when I settle back into the next build.

1 hour ago, Rik Thistle said:

Will she be harboured in the 'shipyard' or perhaps find calm waters in a living room?

Thanks Richard! I’m currently wandering the seas of my house trying to decide where she should be harbored (apparently a very difficult decision for me), but eventually she’ll be harbored in calm waters 😄.

Congratulations on finishing your Alert.  It is a beautiful model and I have enjoyed following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Well done. Awesome work and a great build log for us just starting out to follow!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Congratulations. You've done an outstanding job Tim. She's something to be proud of!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 months later...

I decided to add one final update to depict the Alert cased up. I didn't quite realize that it would take me three months to put together a case for the Alert, but time has a way of marching on. I first tracked down some acrylic sheets for the top of the case. Using a jig to keep the pieces in place I applied a liquid called Weld-on 4 to fuse the pieces of acrylic together. After the top had set for several day I removed the protective backing paper from the acrylic. During the backing removal I found out that I overdid the Weld-on in a two areas and the adhesive from the backing etched itself into the acrylic. I may try to polish it out, but I my not for fear of making things worse (and it is on the back and the side of the case so not terribly noticeable to anyone but me). After creating the covering I moved onto the base.

I will start this off by saying I used a method that I saw on MSW to build a base with a rebate (rabbit?) without a router. I bought two pieces of plywood and a strip of molding (the molding was the combined height of the two pieces of plywood). I cut down the plywood to the size of the top of the case. I don't have a large table saw, so I attempted to use my circular saw to cut the rectangles out of the plywood sheet. I quickly learned that I need a bit more practice with the saw as I failed to cut rectangular pieces. There were close enough though (and lumber prices have risen so much since I bought those sheets that I wasn't about to toss them) so I pressed on. I then trimmed off the edges of the top sheet to account for the width of the plexiglass and attached the sheets together. I then attached the molding around the edges, applied some protecting poly and was done. All said I'm pretty happy with a first attempt.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0299.jpg.c30215317d7bebc65b3e04625ebf8183.jpg

I have added Vanguard's 18 ft cutter to the display (the first edition) and I have also realized that I never added the Alert name plates anywhere - I suppose there's always one more thing 🙂 but this is the final "build" post of the log. Eventually, I'll start another log - I'm currently still hacking away at the NRG half hull but we are preparing for a local move this summer and I'll need to hold off on anything not currently started until after that.

5 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I decided to add one final update to depict the Alert cased up. I didn't quite realize that it would take me three months to put together a case for the Alert, but time has a way of marching on. I first tracked down some acrylic sheets for the top of the case. Using a jig to keep the pieces in place I applied a liquid called Weld-on 4 to fuse the pieces of acrylic together. After the top had set for several day I removed the protective backing paper from the acrylic. During the backing removal I found out that I overdid the Weld-on in a two areas and the adhesive from the backing etched itself into the acrylic. I may try to polish it out, but I my not for fear of making things worse (and it is on the back and the side of the case so not terribly noticeable to anyone but me). After creating the covering I moved onto the base.

I will start this off by saying I used a method that I saw on MSW to build a base with a rebate (rabbit?) without a router. I bought two pieces of plywood and a strip of molding (the molding was the combined height of the two pieces of plywood). I cut down the plywood to the size of the top of the case. I don't have a large table saw, so I attempted to use my circular saw to cut the rectangles out of the plywood sheet. I quickly learned that I need a bit more practice with the saw as I failed to cut rectangular pieces. There were close enough though (and lumber prices have risen so much since I bought those sheets that I wasn't about to toss them) so I pressed on. I then trimmed off the edges of the top sheet to account for the width of the plexiglass and attached the sheets together. I then attached the molding around the edges, applied some protecting poly and was done. All said I'm pretty happy with a first attempt.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0299.jpg.c30215317d7bebc65b3e04625ebf8183.jpg

I have added Vanguard's 18 ft cutter to the display (the first edition) and I have also realized that I never added the Alert name plates anywhere - I suppose there's always one more thing 🙂 but this is the final "build" post of the log. Eventually, I'll start another log - I'm currently still hacking away at the NRG half hull but we are preparing for a local move this summer and I'll need to hold off on anything not currently started until after that.

That looks  so nice  - truly finishes off a Superb build my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

That's a really neat case Tim. You've tempted me to have a go at making my own for Speedy (when I eventually finish it!).

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Well done Tim. Skilled work and very impressive. 

Here’s the place I’ve ordered all my models brass name plates. They have any number of variations on size and mounting (I use adhesive backing). They are always fast, responsive, and inexpensive. 

https://halexawards.com/index.htm

I look forward to seeing your next log😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose