HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

what do you plan to build next?

There’ll be a slight intermission (I want/need to finish the NRG half hull) but I’m a huge fan of Ancient Greece/Rome so I picked up the MarisStella Liburnian Monoreme kit for when I settle back into the next build.

1 hour ago, Rik Thistle said:

Will she be harboured in the 'shipyard' or perhaps find calm waters in a living room?

Thanks Richard! I’m currently wandering the seas of my house trying to decide where she should be harbored (apparently a very difficult decision for me), but eventually she’ll be harbored in calm waters 😄.

• 3 months later...

I decided to add one final update to depict the Alert cased up. I didn't quite realize that it would take me three months to put together a case for the Alert, but time has a way of marching on. I first tracked down some acrylic sheets for the top of the case. Using a jig to keep the pieces in place I applied a liquid called Weld-on 4 to fuse the pieces of acrylic together. After the top had set for several day I removed the protective backing paper from the acrylic. During the backing removal I found out that I overdid the Weld-on in a two areas and the adhesive from the backing etched itself into the acrylic. I may try to polish it out, but I my not for fear of making things worse (and it is on the back and the side of the case so not terribly noticeable to anyone but me). After creating the covering I moved onto the base.

I will start this off by saying I used a method that I saw on MSW to build a base with a rebate (rabbit?) without a router. I bought two pieces of plywood and a strip of molding (the molding was the combined height of the two pieces of plywood). I cut down the plywood to the size of the top of the case. I don't have a large table saw, so I attempted to use my circular saw to cut the rectangles out of the plywood sheet. I quickly learned that I need a bit more practice with the saw as I failed to cut rectangular pieces. There were close enough though (and lumber prices have risen so much since I bought those sheets that I wasn't about to toss them) so I pressed on. I then trimmed off the edges of the top sheet to account for the width of the plexiglass and attached the sheets together. I then attached the molding around the edges, applied some protecting poly and was done. All said I'm pretty happy with a first attempt.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0299.jpg.c30215317d7bebc65b3e04625ebf8183.jpg

I have added Vanguard's 18 ft cutter to the display (the first edition) and I have also realized that I never added the Alert name plates anywhere - I suppose there's always one more thing 🙂 but this is the final "build" post of the log. Eventually, I'll start another log - I'm currently still hacking away at the NRG half hull but we are preparing for a local move this summer and I'll need to hold off on anything not currently started until after that.

5 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I decided to add one final update to depict the Alert cased up. I didn't quite realize that it would take me three months to put together a case for the Alert, but time has a way of marching on. I first tracked down some acrylic sheets for the top of the case. Using a jig to keep the pieces in place I applied a liquid called Weld-on 4 to fuse the pieces of acrylic together. After the top had set for several day I removed the protective backing paper from the acrylic. During the backing removal I found out that I overdid the Weld-on in a two areas and the adhesive from the backing etched itself into the acrylic. I may try to polish it out, but I my not for fear of making things worse (and it is on the back and the side of the case so not terribly noticeable to anyone but me). After creating the covering I moved onto the base.

I will start this off by saying I used a method that I saw on MSW to build a base with a rebate (rabbit?) without a router. I bought two pieces of plywood and a strip of molding (the molding was the combined height of the two pieces of plywood). I cut down the plywood to the size of the top of the case. I don't have a large table saw, so I attempted to use my circular saw to cut the rectangles out of the plywood sheet. I quickly learned that I need a bit more practice with the saw as I failed to cut rectangular pieces. There were close enough though (and lumber prices have risen so much since I bought those sheets that I wasn't about to toss them) so I pressed on. I then trimmed off the edges of the top sheet to account for the width of the plexiglass and attached the sheets together. I then attached the molding around the edges, applied some protecting poly and was done. All said I'm pretty happy with a first attempt.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0299.jpg.c30215317d7bebc65b3e04625ebf8183.jpg

I have added Vanguard's 18 ft cutter to the display (the first edition) and I have also realized that I never added the Alert name plates anywhere - I suppose there's always one more thing 🙂 but this is the final "build" post of the log. Eventually, I'll start another log - I'm currently still hacking away at the NRG half hull but we are preparing for a local move this summer and I'll need to hold off on anything not currently started until after that.

That looks  so nice  - truly finishes off a Superb build my friend.

OC.

Well done Tim. Skilled work and very impressive. 

Here’s the place I’ve ordered all my models brass name plates. They have any number of variations on size and mounting (I use adhesive backing). They are always fast, responsive, and inexpensive. 

https://halexawards.com/index.htm

I look forward to seeing your next log😊

VTH, I started looking at you log because I am interested in also building the Alert. I am currently building the Fifie in 1/32.  I also noted the communications with Chris Watton, whom I admire, and whose builds have help me in my own build. I welcome his comments on the new version of the Alert.

Like you, I used to call Lakeland my home for many years. Now I am retired and live in Bradenton and perhaps one of these days we will meet. I have read your first and last logs and I am very impressed. Thanks

On 5/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, Ras Ambrioso said:

call Lakeland my home for many years. Now I am retired and live in Bradenton and perhaps one of these days we will meet. I have read your first and last logs and I am very impressed. Thanks

I'm glad that they have been some help! I actually live out on the Space Coast (I was vague in the location so I suppose it decided I was from Lakeland 🙂 ). Definitely would be great to meet up with some modeler's in the "general" vicinity. I'll have to hop on over and check out your Fifie build!

VTH,

Great to see another beautiful piece of work from Florida!!!  The acrylic case was new for me and will be in my back pocket for future use.  Do you have pics of the jig set up that you used?  

Thanks

Allan

Thanks Allan!

24 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Do you have pics of the jig set up that you used?  

I do, I was embarrassed to post them though (it’s quite crude 😬) so I crossed my fingers that no one would ask 😄. I’m certain there are much better ways but it seemed to work okay for me and hopefully someone can use these pictures to inspire them to make a better jig.

I cut down 2x4’s to fit the top of the case and provide supports for the larger front/back.

75B53EF4-6CB9-4903-A829-B1ED01651C0D.thumb.jpeg.49380427c2b6ffa0df8e689610ec2826.jpeg
I needed to slide some extra 2x4 scrap under the top to ensure a tight fit before welding the pieces together. If I did this over again I would probably make a flat base of some sort to prevent the top from bowing down, but the added support solved this hurdle.

C4A99329-B1B9-4336-9295-79E9B2987DC8.thumb.jpeg.21b8f772106238d75fff1cb18efc77e8.jpeg

Here you can see the backing ripped away near the joint so that I could apply the weld. I didn’t want to peel everything back and accidentally scratch the pieces in the process.

016CD5FA-BB4E-4281-AB87-9FC1311C6033.thumb.jpeg.6a41e39b4b9ee409d918944d2699c3f8.jpeg

Next I rotated the case so that a side was now on the bottom and welded that to the existing side and top (this picture was taken after while weld fully cured). You can barely make it out, there are pictures later, but I also used plenty of tape to ensure the seams stayed tight.
0CFAB7B9-74CD-428E-A207-90C8453679A4.thumb.jpeg.8d42048e77d1dfcfe6cdf8f163219b61.jpeg

44768D4E-AB7A-4B5B-80F4-44803B08D750.thumb.jpeg.92dc5de8587cc4193c3e4acf5f94812c.jpeg

The above picture was also removed from the jig to fully cure, but once again the case was rotated to make a new “bottom.” All my welds were done on the bottom. In the absence of a jackstand a tee-ball tee worked wonders to support the already connected side. Below is one last shot showing some of the tape that was also used.

909A3DAB-304E-46D4-BFE2-41EC4854701B.thumb.jpeg.d48bcfab4b9df417c7205b103612cbff.jpeg

Hope that helps some - did I mention that my methods were quite crude?