HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Just me, but I didn’t paint Speedy’s cathead yellow ochre. I prefer the bare brass. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

3 hours ago, DelF said:

I prefer the bare brass. 

Derek - Thanks for the suggestion, I went this route after you mentioned it and I think it looks fine. One down, one to go:

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0005.thumb.JPG.bb753e897f7ba66898b8057a45fbd9b2.JPGHM_Alert_Vanguard_0004.thumb.JPG.466a839b6ec8de4477d6d2918b68a833.JPG

So I decided to step up my game and pull out my nicer camera and now I see all the glue blemishes and paint blemishes and etc. What was I thinking? I may need to return to my cell phone camera so I don't get depressed 😁

Splendid work mate  -  I would be more than pleased with that.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It's looking just great, I'm with OC I'd be happy with those results. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That's coming along really nicely.  Your planking is pristine - well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I see all the glue blemishes and paint blemishes

You see it all, others don't see anything but nice work.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I use an airbrush on cannon, but other PE I just paint or blacken, works just fine.  But then again an airbrush is pretty handy and doesn't cost much - other than buying the aerosol cans.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Edward and Mike, I appreciate the comments and encouragement!

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Very well done.   Keep using the better camera!!!

Thanks and I intend to, it’ll (hopefully) help me improve by pointing out these smaller issues to watch out for next time.

41 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I use an airbrush on cannon

What type do you use?

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

What type do you use?

As about as inexpensive as it goes, it does the very limited job I ask of it.  I buy cans of compressed air, no elaborate air compressor for me. It's enough to do the little required for a model.

It takes a little practice to get the flow right, and the paint thinned correctly, so practice on something before you try it.  

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Basic-Spray/dp/B0006MZPLG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1GXMS90X4AJ0A&dchild=1&keywords=badger+airbrush&qid=1590807942&sprefix=badger+air%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-4

Regards,

Glenn

I added the cathead supports and the Hawse Ports. It took me a a few coats to get the supports painted reasonably well and then cutting out the rail and fitting it around the cap rail. I decided not to cut away the cap rail and instead sanded away a corner of the support. I thought that this would be a more safe approach and reduce the likelihood of me damaging the model or getting frustrated. Currently, I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that there is enough space for the PE decorations between the gun ports.
HM_Alert_Vanguard_0007.jpg.43e6c3e175434a95d1f46ecff18107df.jpgHM_Alert_Vanguard_0011.jpg.39843e8256633742158d9d62f72465f6.jpg

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

Currently, I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that there is enough space for the PE decorations between the gun ports.

Darn, my fears were realized. Since I cut the gun ports too wide the PE decorations are now too long. I believe the only solution is to trim some of the decorations off as best as I can to fit them and make certain to do it in pairs to keep the symmetry on each side. No will know aside from me in the end and I really would like to have the ornate fittings on.

I’ll sleep on this before I start trimming but I don’t really see an alternative path, nor any real downside to this approach.

It sounds simpler than building up the gunports again. Unless, of course, you have a mind to practicing skills.

Tony

Coming along nicely!

On 6/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, VTHokiEE said:

It took me a a few coats to get the supports painted reasonably well

What paint do you use? I find Admiralty acrylics cover well with one or at most two coats.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

On 6/3/2020 at 5:01 AM, tkay11 said:

Unless, of course, you have a mind to practicing skills.

I considered this; I took a look forward and I think I’m in the clear so I took the easy way out (😳). I’ve almost all the decorations on and I think it looks good (my 7yr old though it was wonderful and asking if I painted it. The moment really made me smile but I had to tell her that I did not paint it, but maybe someday).

3 hours ago, DelF said:

What paint do you use?

Humbrol, but I don’t have much experience painting so maybe my pot is not representative. The red and blue were a good consistency (be certain to sand off that laser char though). The Black seemed thick and the yellow thin; but they all look reasonable to me so far so I’m not really complaining. I’ll have to try a few different brands as I go along and see what I like.

Has any used Liquitex Professional Heavy Body Acrylique. They come in a nice selection of colors They seem to have a good consistency & are all rather thick; haven't yet tried their yellow, but have used their titanium white, red oxide and ivory black.

I'm just starting out and have essentially zero experience in painting. Humbrol I can get in France, Admiralty paints I'd have to order from the UK.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

I finished added the decorations

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0014.jpg.9fbed475ce30ec9ffdd6573b063c117d.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0016.jpg.9b7faa19fe1de37f83eb348155d9e30c.jpg

Then I started working on the cannonball holders and the cannonballs.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0018.jpg.688c50ced415d1725a42695d8be24a14.jpg

Unfortunately the cannonballs are steel so I tried to spray paint them instead of chemically blackening them. The spray seemed to work well but now that I'm gluing the shot into the holders I'm having a fit of a time. Glue is everywhere, mainly in places that I didn't intend and I'm scrapping off some of the paint; thankfully I'm doing this off model and I'll try to touch them up and we'll see what happens. This step is certainly full of frustration at the moment (and I'm pretty certain that I've lost at least a few cannonballs so most likely I'll have to find some replacements 🙁). I'll definitely be glad to be through with it).

Phosphoric acid or rust conversion gels are said to blacken steel. I've never tried it myself, though.

Tony

Loverly work going on there  - those fitting really add to her.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Those decorations really bring her to life - beautiful. 

Cheers, Derek

I finished up with cannonballs (and ended up with a large assortment of steel ball bearings in the process to replace the one I lost, unfortunately there were not any spares). I cut a piece off of the 3mm pear sheet to attach the shot holders.

DSC_1419.JPG.d034af039b8767a6e6449ae83e4624ac.JPGDSC_1422.JPG.b0af774fdd57b090ff1c0cc7d015506b.JPG

I touched up the cannonballs after I had glued them to the holders and of course I couldn't do this without a slight incident (slightly painting the holder). Due to this I have some "nice" brushes on order, with cleaner, etc to hopefully keep a nice tip. After these were attached I moved onto the ring bolts on the deck. I decided to follow in BE's footsteps on his Alert and used aftermarket eye pins and rings instead of the included PE parts. I bought some from Amati and had some on hand from hismodel, which were already blackened (I ordered some hooks for rigging the cannons and grabbed some eye pins as well. Side note - everyday my young son asks when I am going to do a cannon, so I may need to start on one soon :-). 

DSC_1424.JPG.c091d3ca9e150cf6754e4add47bd4524.JPGDSC_1426.JPG.caa688cc5f7153bea97692146510569d.JPG

These pictures show off all my flaws, the blackening looks quite rough, but it isn't really noticeable from normal viewing distances. I do think that I need to improve in this area though.

DSC_1427.JPG.78245d5cca4fe4dd1ed4fa47fae75e1c.JPGDSC_1438.JPG.65030fd1a11420454c58f38c68eb3334.JPG

Here we are for now:

DSC_1449.JPG.680e93d349ee3a4d3779294b426dbb84.JPG

22 minutes ago, James H said:

Excellent work. Makes me want to start mine when Flirt is complete!

I hope that you do! It'd be great fun to see what you do with it. I also couldn't help but see that CAF Le Coureur as an imminent build in you signature, I'd love to see that build as well. I've been going back and forth whether or not to pre-order one (I'm currently holding temptation at bay, but wow is it hard... hmm now that I think about it may you should stick with the Alert instead of tempting me further 😁).

1 minute ago, VTHokiEE said:

I hope that you do! It'd be great fun to see what you do with it. I also couldn't help but see that CAF Le Coureur as an imminent build in you signature, I'd love to see that build as well. I've been going back and forth whether or not to pre-order one (I'm currently holding temptation at bay, but wow is it hard... hmm now that I think about it may you should stick with the Alert instead of tempting me further 😁).

Yes, Coureur and also the Amati Victory prototype. My VM Alert will have to stay in its box a while longer yet. 🤣

You are doing a marvelous job my friend   I know I said it before - but I would be well impressed with that,   I remember from my Frigate build  - it isnt always easy  getting it the way you want,   but you are getting there in a loverly way.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you all for the comments and likes, I truly appreciate them.

I placed the channels and then noticed that I had them too far astern, I very carefully removed them and them replaced them as you see below (which closely mirrors the location in the manual, again my gun ports are wider than than the opening on the channels, but looking forward in the manual it seems to look quite similar to when the deadeyes line up).

DSC_1450.JPG.17d238a0f5df1427e2920f897cc9e839.JPG

Next I added the steps and draught markings. The instructions say to paint the markings copper; I liked the way they stood out in the pictures so away I went.

DSC_1451.JPG.ab48040cd3071a727f28310c5a8d11db.JPGDSC_1453.JPG.e729670314b85d776ce5a0e103b84daf.JPG

Finally I added the ring bolts for the side tackle (I should have done this before gluing the shot holders on, but I managed).

DSC_1459.JPG.b16f60082e3190e3433a157f6bfb14ba.JPG

Now I'm currently adding the holes ring bolts for the breeching line. I only glued the set up in the bow since there will not be any cannons there. I still have to drill out the remaining hold, but I needed a break.

DSC_1456.JPG.55fff861eb279b5e84f11d16f39cfa5d.JPG

Thank you for following!

Very nice work  - she is really coming together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem where I get super focused on trying to do “A” and then accidentally make a mess of “B.” It’s definitely something I need to be careful of in the future. My current issue (and pardon the poor quality photo) is that I put the winch on backwards ☹️. I know I have to rip apart the winch and redo it but I used epoxy to glue the winch in and CA on the photo etch. Is there anyway to take this apart without destroying all the parts?  

Boy am I frustrated with myself at the moment. I wanted to make certain the side which had to have some resin cleaned up was pointed inward where I thought it would be least visible...

How do I undo epoxy and CA?

05E62D25-EB41-46B5-A47F-743F4F4B5AAD.thumb.jpeg.c657687da84a62602b5fa9193dd11ea8.jpeg

Slight update, I was able to use a knife to slice off the PE and then a little bit of acetone to soften the epoxy and get all the parts separated. I’m currently cleaning them up and repainting and hopefully this will all work out... 🤞