HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

30 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

and removed most of the blackening from the eyelet

Don't sweat that detail. Once the gun is in place and the eyelet is secured to the bulwark, just touch it up with a daub of flat black paint. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

20 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

personally I’m not a fan of the black seizing around the bulwark ring, I think it would look better using natural thread.

Well, now I'm indecisive again. I do have some very similar weight "brown" thread that would probably be close enough. I finished up the other side of this one (wish I had seen this post first so I could have done the other side in brown and made a decision. Oh well, I'll do one up with brown thread next and try them on the deck to see which I like more. Thanks for the input!

I think your effort looks fine Tim - I'd just snip off the end of the breech rope a bit closer to the second seizing. You could always use brown fly tying line if you agree with B.E.'s dislike of black.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

On 8/27/2020 at 3:38 AM, DelF said:

I'd just snip off the end of the breech rope a bit closer to the second seizing.

Thanks Derek, I think you're right there.

I did make up a line with the brown thread to see which I preferred. I wanted to place them both lines on cannons on the deck but I think I'll need to glue the pins in place so I gave up (I wasn't ready for glue since I wasn't decided about between the black and brown seizings). Here are the two lines for comparison:

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0091.jpg.40dc7ef1fddc41d09969a6b773bd7284.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0092.jpg.40401d60bff2522054ce5f721da3d95b.jpg

Unless there is an overwhelming response away from the brown thread I think I'm going to use that moving forward. The black (to me) has such contrast that it attempts to draw your eyes away from the gun and I think the brown is enough to know that it is there but not so much to draw a lot of attention to it (also, when I did some image searching everything I found was a natural color). As an aside, in case anyone is following and curious how to do the seizing here is a picture of what I did (a drop of glue for security before trimming the thread):

IMG_7160.thumb.jpg.782a816fd5d4a4acfb6c14bec04b3adb.jpg

Now, to drive over and pick up my Byrnes table saw (saying that I'm excited is quite the understatement).

I prefer the brown color, VTHokiEE. That's an excellent illustration of the seizing. What book or source is that from?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Definitely go with the brown Tim, it's no so in your face😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, BobG said:

What book or source is that from?

It is from “Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern” by Milton Roth. I saw it in a build log I was reading while building my Sharpie Schooner. It was very inexpensive second hand and has been a very nice resource (when I recall that I own it that is).

On 8/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, VTHokiEE said:

decided to save those for later

No guts no glory 😀

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 8/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, VTHokiEE said:

seizings I made for the breeching line.

I’d match the color of the rope and seizing, the black is going to stand out a lot. 

Definitely don’t worry about blackening, easy to touch up with a flat paint like Admiralty Ironwood Black and 10/0 brush. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

how to do the seizing

I’ve done hundreds of these just this way.  Perfect way to do them. I do them with the help of third hands like Derek’s (and my new) Quad hands. It’s also how I seize blocks and hooks. 

Regards,

Glenn

Minor update, today I finished the breeching line for the 12 cannons (and yes by the time I was done I was much faster at making the seizings).

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0094.jpg.2a8570e3973b16c36d07688d764621d2.jpg

I've also decided that my garage is way too hot this time of year; nothing to be done about it but wow. Anyway, now I'm staring at these teeny tiny blocks and hooks for the side tackle and trying to determine exactly when I lost my sanity. My plan is to assembly line these by making the 48 blocks first (well probably one of each type first to see how the tackle looks before going all in on the assembly line), please wish me luck!

This is what has to be done now, as everybody is upping the anti with their own builds😂 it's a good thing though as it pushes us mere mortals  to challenge our skills 😁👍

If your breech line is anything to go by the side tackles will look awesome. 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

27 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

This is what has to be done now, as everybody is upping the anti with their own builds😂 it's a good thing though as it pushes us mere mortals  to challenge our skills 😁👍

Ha, that’s my thoughts exactly. I’ve been forced into this! I’m looking forward to it, but I fully expect some extreme frustration before I get the process down. I’ll be re-reading B.E.’s process a few time before giving it a go.

I apologize for all these minor updates, but after 4 tries I was really happy with this block (attempt #3 is in a holding bin in case I loose steam towards the end). Wow these are small and intimidating, but I'm following B. E.'s tutorial at the end of his Alert log and so far so good. I had to drop down to two strands on both lines to thread the hook and I'm using a fly tying glue for the knots, but I'm really appreciative of that tutorial. I don't think I would've continued without it. Now to gather my motivation for 47 (47?!?! What am I thinking, this is going to take me at least a month to make the blocks 😂...) more

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0096.jpg.3384dd1cc51cb8b93189e8c092dc98c1.jpg

7 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I apologize for all these minor updates,

Apologize?  It's your log..😁

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I hope your enjoying your decisions, don’t let a log or other builders dictate anything.  

Your cannon rigging looks great. 

Regards,

Glenn

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I hope your enjoying your decisions, don’t let a log or other builders dictate anything.

I’m glad I’m adding the details (I know I’d wish I had if I skipped them). It is time consuming and does feel like it is slowing the whole build down because I don’t have tons of time to devote to the build each day; but I remind myself that I’m not on a time line and then I can get back to enjoying it.

Somewhat surprisingly making all the blocks is quite relaxing to me. I’m about half way through the blocks. I think I’m going to try to put together the first side tackle to see what it looks like this weekend 🤞.

I gave a side tackle a test run (don't mind the poorly cut fluffy rope 😬, I added some white glue after the fact and it's harder to see at normal viewing magnifications), I'm curious if you all think the side tackle is the right length or if it should be a little longer? A little longer may rest on the deck if I'm not as precise so I'm leaning towards keeping it this length (I also noticed this moment that the cannon isn't pressed against the bulwark as much as I thought so there may be a little more droop then as well).

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0098.jpg.e8a8055cf9855a0c630d84e5f52f5424.jpg 

I'm going to give the frapping a few more turns before tying it off once I have a finalized length (I don't think that I'm going to add a coil). I assume the hooks are left unglued?

Hi Tim. I think the length looks about right - any longer and it might droop to much on the deck.  I changed my mind on the side tackle on Speedy at least three times, so I know what you're going through! 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Derek; I have two tackles “finished” so I’m going to try to get one of the cannons situated next (hopefully today but we’ll see). I’m very antsy to get one completed gun on the deck (it feels like a huge milestone at this point).

27 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Looks about right to my eye Tim, it's hard to believe how small these fittings are

Thank you! I started using your false splice technique for the eye loop on blocks and it’s really a wonderful technique (thanks again for the tutorial at the end of your log, I’m not certain that I would’ve gotten to this point without it).

I prepared one cannon and decided that one of my side tackles is a little longer than I want going forward (the visible tackle is the long one). Should the cannon trucks be right up against the bulwa rk? This isn't glued in yet.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0099.jpg.0682e78935e2ddc3da4946769091ca94.jpgHM_Alert_Vanguard_0100.jpg.24ed85cbd7142c915b150156d9a601a6.jpg
Edit: Currently redoing the longer tackle, it bothered me too much already 😂

5 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I prepared one cannon and decided that one of my side tackles is a little longer than I want going forward (the visible tackle is the long one). Should the cannon trucks be right up against the bulwa rk? This isn't glued in yet.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0099.jpg.0682e78935e2ddc3da4946769091ca94.jpgHM_Alert_Vanguard_0100.jpg.24ed85cbd7142c915b150156d9a601a6.jpg
Edit: Currently redoing the longer tackle, it bothered me too much already 😂

I think they push them right against the bulkhead for maximum recoil  so the cannon works at it best,  if you wanted to show some life on her, you could also display a few recoiled back with tight ropes.

Spledid work you are doing  everything looks the part.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks! I have been looking at pictures of cannons this evening and they did all appear to be pushed right up tight. It’s good to have some confirmation to my research.

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

if you wanted to show some life on her, you could also display a few recoiled back with tight ropes.

This is an interesting idea that I may play around with and see which I prefer. Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Thanks! I have been looking at pictures of cannons this evening and they did all appear to be pushed right up tight. It’s good to have some confirmation to my research.

This is an interesting idea that I may play around with and see which I prefer. Thanks again!

No problem at all  - glad to help if I can.🙂

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just wanted to add a voice to the choir and say you're doing a fantastic job on this.

You've made it look like such a fun build that I went and ordered her yesterday and added this as the next kit to build.  

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

FinishedPhantom New York Pilot Boat