HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

On 10/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, Gregory said:

Meanwhile your cutter is really looking great!

Thank you!

I've been a little remiss in showing any how-to in this build (mainly because I felt that some of the other referenced builds detailed great how-to and I didn't think it necessary to restate what they wrote). However, I've started rigging some blocks and thought that I would detail my process here in case it helps someone in the future.

First, I seize the rope to an eye-bolt. For these 3mm blocks I am currently using 0.018 rope from Syren.  (I have realized that I'm almost all out. I did buy a rope rocket, but I haven't tackled that project yet.)

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0112.jpg.14464ddf3d3268345b931f0a28237339.jpg

Next I secure the rope around the block in tweezers.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0113.jpg.2c3791cfa8028a306103dae1395fadbe.jpg

Now I thread a needle onto one side of the rope and pierce it between the strands of the other rope as close as I can to the corner of the block and pull it through.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0114.jpg.1603464f96b80b20e0c5bf17e814dccf.jpg

I then switch the needle to the other rope and do the same procedure in the opposite direction and pull the lines tight to the block.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0115.jpg.2a4066fd6b30d2e0aed57651c4ab5ce9.jpg

Now I smear white glue on the rope and let it dry.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0117.jpg.81082e6c2a14b42f4d3c364210e62858.jpg

Finally trim the line and there is your block.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0116.jpg.48d7fd896dc765bddb8a275d52d78334.jpg

I imagine there are many other ways (and probably better ways) but so far I'm pretty happy with this method and hopefully it helps.

Neat work Tim.

22 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

EDIT: I don't know why the below photo is there; 

If you upload a photo but don't use it in your post, it will appear at the end of your text. When you edit the post you have to delete it from the images area otherwise it will just keep popping up again.

Derek

22 minutes ago, DelF said:

If you upload a photo but don't use it in your post, it will appear at the end of your text.

Thanks for the tip Derek. Unless I’m going crazy (a distinct possibility) I did use that picture two higher (underneath the smear glue text). At least I see that I used it.

Either way, I’m pretending it’s not really there or else I’ll continue editing the post until I delete the thing and start over 😂.

Very sharp looking deck, very crisp work.

I don’t see any reason to leave the swivel guns free. You won’t move them once the model is complete and on the shelf.  I don’t even install them on the mounts until almost done with the final rigging, they get in the way and become great at snagging lines. It’s usually one of my last steps. 

16 hours ago, DelF said:

If you upload a photo but don't use it in your post, it will appear at the end of your text. When you edit the post you have to delete it from the images area otherwise it will just keep popping up again.

Of course you were right; I had uploaded the image twice - silly me 😳. Fixed now.

2 hours ago, Gazzarian said:

Your build is looking great and I appreciate this log, it's helpful with my own attempts at this model, where I am some way behind you, so thank you!

Thank you! I'm following your log as well - it sounds like you have a very interesting vision and I'm excited to see it all come together.

I'm kicking myself this morning. I was working on the anchors - I had puddening (I'm not certain if there is a best method here just trying to duplicate what I have seen others do) on the ring but I was having a few issues adding the seizing. In the process I realized that I needed to solder the brass ring I made together (I originally thought that I could avoid this and simply keep the ends together but I bent them apart adding the seizing and the puddening started coming off). You can probably see where this is going, but in the process of soldering the ring I accidentally burned the stock :default_wallbash: - I tried scrapping the char off but that was unsuccessful. I think I'm going to try to scratch build the stocks (hopefully the drawings in the AotS Alert) will help me here, wish me luck.

1 hour ago, Gazzarian said:

Oh well, if it's any consolation I burnt my finger ironing on the second planking.....

I may have done something similar as well... of course now I'm staring at the scraps of pear wood and wondering if there is enough to remake the parts.

20 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

May be a blessing in disguise Tim, the kit provided stocks didn't look right to my eye,  replacing them with the pattern in the aots book is the way to go.🙂

B.E.

I do believe you're right. I drew out some rectangles on the scrap 3mm pear (really it should be about 2.25mm so I may sand it down to look better). I think I need to find a supplier for some wood sheets in case I mis-cut 😬.

The saga of the anchors, I have finished up some new stocks for my anchors and I think they came out quite reasonable. Here is the lesser of the charred anchors.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0121.jpg.bf6380bd0e126fd1dd0329ef9587877a.jpg

This one concerned me, but after I scorched the second one I really had no choice but to remake the parts. I measured the pieces out on the 3mm scrap pear wood and roughly cut then out with a jeweler's saw.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0122.jpg.e9e2b519269707b1d08891b750e12547.jpg

Next I sanded then down to the lines.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0123.jpg.9428af28b4aad829942e50cb7cccb5e3.jpg

Finally, I shaped them, filed out the channel for the anchor and applied a touch of WOP.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0124.jpg.c3550fa757567a7eae88cc2734a78da5.jpg

Now I can get back to the puddening and the seizing (which now I'm fearful of since it caused this all in the first place). I think I could get behind scratch building if I can find a way to do it without purchasing a bandsaw in the near future.

Nice bit of work Tim!😉, as to scratch without a band saw, I'm sure there's quite a few builders on here who are building scratch with very few power tools and cutting frames with coping or fret saws.

Imho I think you should give it go, you certainly have the skills. 

Just my two pennies worth. 👍😁

The saga of my anchors is drawing to a close. I kept one anchor with the kit supplied stock and one with my new stocks to demonstrate the difference (I think I would highly recommend scratch building these now as the update is a nice touch in my opinion).

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0126.jpg.805f356e4059cddcf8a5fee417bb4250.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0127.jpg.08772fc7ff42c1c81902f2d4481f8cba.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0128.thumb.jpg.7e808cc1e074323cfe9733b24748be74.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0129.thumb.jpg.79b1b3abf96e62fdfae79c1aa6089bff.jpg

On 10/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, Edwardkenway said:

building scratch with very few power tools and cutting frames with coping or fret saws

My stumbling block is how to get wood into sheets of the proper thickness. I think I could build exclusively in AYC though, which may be a good starting point since Syren has a good selection of sheets.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

Really nice work there    - you did fab my friend.

OC.

Thanks OC! 

On 10/16/2020 at 8:20 PM, Rustyj said:

That looks nice.

Thanks Rusty!

On 10/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, glbarlow said:

often times scratch built turns out better

I agree (and really it is quite enjoyable once I get past the mental block of “how am I going to do this?”).

I’ve been doing some research to try to create a wood pile so I can allow myself a higher reject rate but so far I haven’t really found the perfect choice, especially for something like this where I wanted to keep with pear wood. 

I picked up a rope walk from Syren a little while ago and in order to postpone tapering the mast I put it together and tried my hand at making some rope today. I wanted to replace the anchor rope (really I may end up replacing all the rope either with my own or some from Syren for consistency) because it was a significantly different color than the rest of the rope I will be using. I wanted to end up with about 1.6mm rope so I used Chuck's Mara recipe for .055" (~1.4mm) rope as a starting point, but I ended up closer to 0.047" so I tried again using the 0.065" (~1.65mm)  recipe as a starting point and got much closer, 0.06" or ~1.52mm. I'm still debugging the process a little (my rope unwinds even after baking so I'm asking Chuck what I did wrong). The darker brown rope in the pictures in the kit supplied anchor rope.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0130.jpg.b8db97cabde0c2c8539074349324c6a9.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0132.jpg.475707ce1631a2c154970d6332970c9e.jpg

8 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I picked up a rope walk from Syren a little while ago and in order to postpone tapering the mast I put it together and tried my hand at making some rope today. I wanted to replace the anchor rope (really I may end up replacing all the rope either with my own or some from Syren for consistency) because it was a significantly different color than the rest of the rope I will be using. I wanted to end up with about 1.6mm rope so I used Chuck's Mara recipe for .055" (~1.4mm) rope as a starting point, but I ended up closer to 0.047" so I tried again using the 0.065" (~1.65mm)  recipe as a starting point and got much closer, 0.06" or ~1.52mm. I'm still debugging the process a little (my rope unwinds even after baking so I'm asking Chuck what I did wrong). The darker brown rope in the pictures in the kit supplied anchor rope.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0130.jpg.b8db97cabde0c2c8539074349324c6a9.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0132.jpg.475707ce1631a2c154970d6332970c9e.jpg

What I would be tempted to do with the end fraying is to keep it taut  then serve it with fine thread  near where you want the end to be to stop it fraying,    you would only have to do about 5 -10mm.

OC.

That looks like very good rope, especially for a first attempt. 

I'm not sure what you mean by baking. The technique I use, as taught by Chuck, is to stretch the rope after you've spun it, wet it down and then let it dry before you cut it free from the ropewalk. If you do that you might find the last few millimetres are slightly loose, but if you cut the rope back to where it looks tight it should stay that way.

Derek

2 hours ago, DelF said:

That looks like very good rope, especially for a first attempt. 

I'm not sure what you mean by baking

Thanks Derek - I wasn’t using a cotton thread to start so I had to add some heat to help the unraveling. This is the recipe link for Mara: 

What thread do you use? I was having trouble finding DMC which seemed to be a favorite.

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

then serve it with fine thread  near where you want the end to be to stop it fraying,    you would only have to do about 5 -10mm.

That’s a good suggestion, I’ll have to give it a try. A touch of glue has been suggested as well and I may give this fly typing laquer a try as well.