HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

10 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

your earlier pics are a  bit weird

Those are still to be faired. The last picture is me making headway on the other side :-).

11 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

You are seeing why I never put the stem or keel etc on permanently til I have finished first planking !!

Kind of wishing that I didn’t learn that the hard way; but it’s salvageable at least.

9 minutes ago, prototypep3 said:

Your build is coming along nicely VTH, and your log is helping me to avoid some easy pitfalls

I’m glad! I hope you have a much easier time with your first planking run. I was tempted to simply press onwards and not post the partial planking pictures since they were so bad. I’m really glad I didn’t do that now.

Agree with everyone, start over, filler can't get you there from here.  You can find lime wood for the first planking cheap enough.  No offense but not sure you read Chucks Planking process correctly.  I just followed it for my current build and had great results.  I don't agree that soaking is the way to go, that can lead to warping and swelling. I think your issue is more one of not tapering enough (or at all) at the bow (and too much at the stern) and not using Chuck's sideways bending technique.  Get Chuck's hull outlining .pdf to see how to measure and mark the hull.  I've always managed by guesstimates on prior models but learned a lot by doing it in detail and with more precision with this latest hull.  

Have heart, we've all been there and we've all gotten past it.  Hang in there!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

13 hours ago, glbarlow said:

No offense but not sure you read Chucks Planking process correctly.  I just followed it for my current build and had great results.

None taken, the issue (currently) isn't with his planking process; at the moment the issue with my shoddy fairing 🙂. I tapered the bow about 20%, I could increase that some, but I don't think tapering and edge bending (believe me I tried) can overcome the lack of fairing that I unfortunately did on that bow filler. I think my bow is in better shape; planks fit nicely on the first 3 bulkheads but I haven't had time to really sit down with it and test a plank or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there, remember the goal of the first blanking it to cover the frame with wood - it's ok if its ugly as long as it's a smooth base and the right form for the 2nd planking. It's good that you began again, but no worries it will all turn out great.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks! I think I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have about 5 planks on each side left and edge bending is finally starting to come together for me 🙂. I want to re-measure my taper points before but hopefully I’ll have an update with a few pictures up soon. I think I’m moving over to the CA “darkside,” does anyone have a gel recommendation? I’ve been using Loctite gel, but I’m curious if there are better options.

I’ve used this CA on every model I’ve built. So far (the oldest is about 20 years old) nothing has fallen off, it works for me. 
https://www.amazon.com/Insta-Cure-Filling-Bob-Smith-Ind/dp/B0000DD1QQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Ca+glue&qid=1583261674&sr=8-6

There is a medium version of this same brand I keep on hand for certain jobs for a little longer setup time. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

20 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’ve used this CA on every model I’ve built. So far (the oldest is about 20 years old) nothing has fallen off, it works for me. 
https://www.amazon.com/Insta-Cure-Filling-Bob-Smith-Ind/dp/B0000DD1QQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Ca+glue&qid=1583261674&sr=8-6

There is a medium version of this same brand I keep on hand for certain jobs for a little longer setup time. 

Thanks, I have some coming my way. It really seems to work well for me planking, trying to figure out how to attach clamps was getting to be a Herculean effort.

These last few planks might take me a little while so I decided to do an update showing my planking to date. I am going to finish one side (4 left) before doing the remaining 5 on the other side. I tried to keep the planking somewhat even on both side but somewhere along the way I got a little off.

I’m curious how smooth does this first layer have to be before I do the second planking (every dip filled)? I’ve done some sanding and filling as I go but it’s not perfect. Don’t look too closely or you’ll notice me breaking the stern post tops as I go (I think according to the plans then get trimmed soon and it’s not a big deal, fingers crossed).

B5D3E29C-B308-45CE-91A8-925DBEA4E7B2.thumb.jpeg.95f635048c19c01fbadfcac20f25c883.jpeg63EEA0C1-4D52-4427-9F1C-57E7F363FFA1.thumb.jpeg.7708196bc77dc2bf18cf9c27142d5847.jpegE151A39B-EC41-4AFF-88D9-64F0E56AD62B.thumb.jpeg.fc5c84e06a83cc1a49c4e711cfe69533.jpeg77797FE3-3423-48AC-943C-D3642CBD5C88.thumb.jpeg.dbafecc63ada021fdcebfe632328c69f.jpeg6BD561C1-3714-4C7D-9EB1-3B6DFB4FAE62.thumb.jpeg.8f13fde99a3a2ac119202d58978c3d2a.jpeg

8 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I have some coming my way.

These come in handy for managing the glue, I keep a supply and go through about 3 per build. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LRT7TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

These come in handy for managing the glue, I keep a supply and go through about 3 per build. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history/?ref=hud_2_gw_profile&pf_rd_p=988c33e9-4bb8-4a31-b780-8a3ed02cfb75&pf_rd_r=71MS5VHGMWZSGVDJKQ4D

That link just brings me to my own order history...great stuff but nothing for managing glue 😂 

12 minutes ago, Duanelaker said:

That link

I corrected the link. Thanks for the catch. 

Regards,

Glenn

On 3/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, VTHokiEE said:

how smooth does this first layer have to be

Your first planking is very smooth as first planking's go.  My experience is the smoother the better, from what I see in the photos you’ll be fine with a little filler in the dips then some sanding. Nothing dramatic necessary. The second planking will pick up any big height changes and with its thinner wood less adaptable to sanding it out. 

Nice work!

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Your first planking is very smooth as first planking's go.  My experience is the smoother the better, from what I see in the photos you’ll be fine with a little filler in the dips then some sanding. Nothing dramatic necessary. The second planking will pick up any big height changes and with its thinner wood less adaptable to sanding it out. 

Nice work!

Thank you! I think wood filler will be able to sort out the dips pretty well. I placed the final plank on one side this morning. I made the mistake of doing the garboard plank last so it’s too skinny, but as a first layer it’ll do. On the other side I think I’ll run a non-tapered plank for the garboard plank (if possible) to see how it would be done on the second layer and then mark out the hull for the remaining planks.

2 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Be a little careful on the term smooth.

It needs to be smooth in the terms of nice continuous curves in all directions.

But the surface  shouldnt be too smooth on a micro level

That’s a good point, I am striving for the former but I wasn’t considering the later. I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Here is a picture of where I am now:

A932BC64-49D9-40F0-A5FD-5E4F08F75DFB.thumb.jpeg.9adeed047a9ace6776c79c17b0e2eb89.jpeg

Due to the untapered garboard plank the remaining 4 planks will get a little thin on the stern. Maybe I’ll try to get fancy and do a drop plank (I think that is the right term?) since it’ll get covered anyway.

4 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Be a little careful on the term smooth.

I’m ok with my use of the word smooth in this context. Smooth as in the clear definition of the hull without hills and valleys and the basis of what you want it to become. I put a coat of water based poly on the first planking to seal and then light sand that with a medium grade paper. Never had an adhesion issue. But then I use CA...

Regards,

Glenn

6 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

that garboard worries me a bit - its "upside down" compare to the way I normally do it.

Ha, it took me a few minutes but I see what you mean (and I’m glad I posted the picture). I shaped it based off the other side (which wasn’t the best idea). I’m not going to change it now (first layer reasoning) but thank you for pointing out my error so I can correct it on the 2nd planking!

Edited by VTHokiEE

Small update: I still need to attach the top 1x4mm strip in order to call the 1st planking complete but after a good deal of sanding and some filling here I am:

EF99D46D-D0A1-4E87-B9C1-9CE48B752498.thumb.jpeg.039e0665b4d8d7a38b2e844a1889d749.jpegCE6D0B13-6967-472C-955A-F39E1637DCA5.thumb.jpeg.6b42500de7325fc7046608cf93b01a48.jpeg

Next up I have to attach the stern post; I’ll have to be careful after that in order not to knock it right off again.

Just catching up with your log. I admire your courage in redoing the first few planks - it was certainly worth the effort as your first planking looks great to me.

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

40 minutes ago, DelF said:

Just catching up with your log. I admire your courage in redoing the first few planks - it was certainly worth the effort as your first planking looks great to me.

Best wishes

Derek

Thank you! That was a trying time to say the least for me, but I am very glad that I redid it. I learned a lot from it (and hopefully some of that learning will translate into a relaxing second planking).

I’m very much enjoying watching your speedy build and learning a lot from that as well.

Time for an update, I followed B.E,'s advice and after smoothing the hull a little further I attached the stern post:

IMG_5807.thumb.JPG.828e7dcd8f949962f6110616560fab1a.JPG

Next I started planking the transom, attached the counter and sanded it all.

IMG_5808.thumb.JPG.f6e2e005457cb198399c9464975e54e4.JPG

IMG_5811.thumb.JPG.69e7a2203ecf1cb7b76fbaa4b2bab090.JPG

IMG_5812.thumb.JPG.2fc2e74f58cf4ec680ebb2a5738b4b21.JPG

IMG_5820.thumb.JPG.2e139ceca99ccea3df8e9d88b42c0f8d.JPG

I didn't know the best way to temporarily attach the spacers for the final plank, so I went with painter's tape and it seemed to work alright.

IMG_5823.thumb.JPG.9978aeea58ed495d7c1b61de144dbd5f.JPG

IMG_5822.thumb.JPG.f6556b98b4fe7d99208f713601608867.JPG

Then after some final sanding I think I'm ready (deep breath) to start the second layer of planking.

IMG_5829.thumb.JPG.903d72e7c3e9f93d81257186cba342c6.JPG

IMG_5830.thumb.JPG.e727d93b84d6eef6bdf6329a895841b4.JPG 

Very nice 1st planking, I'd take that as a final coat on Triton, great job !!😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Very neat!

Apologies if you've answered this before, but what is your building slip?  It certainly looks impressive - is it a good investment?

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Edward and B.E.!

9 minutes ago, DelF said:

what is your building slip?  It certainly looks impressive - is it a good investment?

It is this slip:

It is way overkill for what I need right now, but I would like to build a large ship someday and I’m hoping that it will be very useful when I get there so I think that for me it will be a good investment. It wasn’t very expensive, but it’s so large that if I fully realized how much space it took up on my modest bench I would probably have waited to purchase it.

Edited by VTHokiEE

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, glbarlow said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LRT7TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How exactly do you "clean" these after use? They are very helpful but I'm destroying the tips.

34 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

How exactly do you "clean" these after use?

You don’t, they are disposable single use. I trim the tip a little at a time as needed to keep it neat, keep it upright when not in use with a little stand and keep the tip clear (by squeezing it till air comes out at the end my work day). At some point I toss it and reach for a new one. I use 1-3 per build. 

2B3776FB-9C81-4C41-BD66-C9C03B4EA95B.jpeg

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

13 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

keep it upright when not in use

Thanks! I’m hoping this is the ticket, I was laying it on it’s side after I did my best to empty it. Then I ruined the second after one use trying to clean it.

I’m still slowly plugging away on the second planking.

0B9AEBC4-42D5-4AD7-88EA-24C0EF4C77D4.thumb.jpeg.5e7d093375406d2b24bb4e929bd5ab84.jpeg

On 4/1/2020 at 4:24 PM, VTHokiEE said:

slowly plugging away on the second planking.

How is shaping, etc. of planks different between the first pass and second?