I added a plank to the stern, I think unfortunately that the lower rail makes it look slightly off level. I’ll have to look and see if I can correct it if it bothers me.

A84CF21E-EA4B-4A47-B026-0D145382E735.thumb.jpeg.9e5e3d9184b2970cc8028979e8ad1cc6.jpegD5EA2708-2D85-4E16-9DC5-6CC64CBF234B.thumb.jpeg.7484b6abba443ff9983ee33703965a2b.jpeg

Then I started adding the posts and rails. I originally thought that I would paint all the posts off the model but quickly realized that there was no real need and it would be easier and quicker to paint them on the model. I did paint the railing off model so that I wouldn’t accidentally mess up the stern.

0DC1756C-66A9-40BE-B580-FA3366E20924.thumb.jpeg.291a59fd2fe95cad87645faad97f3300.jpeg2318442F-EB75-4B28-AAB5-11E36C0594B8.thumb.jpeg.4d357bd70f19b486bd294cd990d2bd48.jpeg41223596-0A55-4679-B6C9-286EC8DCA2A5.thumb.jpeg.2de61ae4fc54ca7ea57de12e6003fb56.jpeg

Looking really good - smart paint work!

I had to look closely at the first picture to see what was bothering you. Noticeable, but only just. However I know what it's like when you've spotted something like that - it niggles you until you do something about it. Unfortunately it looks like it might be the lower yellow rail that is out of line - the gap between the two lower yellow rails is slightly wider on the right than it is on the left. Fix that though, and the gunports might start to look out of whack. I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. For me it doesn't detract from a fine looking model.

Derek

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

I'm hard pressed to see what the problem is.  It looks really good to me.

You’re too kind, and I’m not going to highlight it further 😁.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

You are doing a really nice job mate  - the whole thing looks splendid  - tidy, colourful  and a  very attractive build.

Thanks! I’m really enjoying it; it feels like slow going but every piece adds up (and I’m starting to lose my fear of painting).

Learned about the mizzenmast as I continued to work on the Alert. I blackened the PE elements after shaping and drilled holes for the nails to prevent any issues with breaking the wood. I've been trying to clean up some paint from poor taping and for whatever reason it looks a lot worse in these pictures than previously; I'll probably try to clean it a little more.

DSC_1396_small.JPG.80e503bb624b9a88ce01f6ff879bead4.JPGDSC_1395_small.JPG.4f421cbff5ca61bab7973c0657142327.JPG

I've now started working on the catheads and I'm at a little bit of a quandry. The directions recommend airbrushing the PE that attaches to the catheads, but I don't have an airbrush. Is there recommended PE prep to brush paint it? Of course part of me wants to use this as an excuse to buy an airbrush but I really have a mental block about using them for some reason.

1 minute ago, DelF said:

otherwise I use a blackening solution such as Casey's Metal Black. BTW, I think your paintwork looks fine.

Sorry I failed to describe it well enough, I use Casey's Metal Black for my blackened PE, but for the catheads (and them next for the decorative work), the PE is painted yellow ochre. I'll give it a go and see how it comes out.

3 hours ago, DelF said:

I prefer the bare brass. 

Derek - Thanks for the suggestion, I went this route after you mentioned it and I think it looks fine. One down, one to go:

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0005.thumb.JPG.bb753e897f7ba66898b8057a45fbd9b2.JPGHM_Alert_Vanguard_0004.thumb.JPG.466a839b6ec8de4477d6d2918b68a833.JPG

So I decided to step up my game and pull out my nicer camera and now I see all the glue blemishes and paint blemishes and etc. What was I thinking? I may need to return to my cell phone camera so I don't get depressed 😁

Thank you Edward and Mike, I appreciate the comments and encouragement!

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Very well done.   Keep using the better camera!!!

Thanks and I intend to, it’ll (hopefully) help me improve by pointing out these smaller issues to watch out for next time.

41 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I use an airbrush on cannon

What type do you use?

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

What type do you use?

As about as inexpensive as it goes, it does the very limited job I ask of it.  I buy cans of compressed air, no elaborate air compressor for me. It's enough to do the little required for a model.

It takes a little practice to get the flow right, and the paint thinned correctly, so practice on something before you try it.  

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Basic-Spray/dp/B0006MZPLG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1GXMS90X4AJ0A&dchild=1&keywords=badger+airbrush&qid=1590807942&sprefix=badger+air%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-4

I added the cathead supports and the Hawse Ports. It took me a a few coats to get the supports painted reasonably well and then cutting out the rail and fitting it around the cap rail. I decided not to cut away the cap rail and instead sanded away a corner of the support. I thought that this would be a more safe approach and reduce the likelihood of me damaging the model or getting frustrated. Currently, I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that there is enough space for the PE decorations between the gun ports.
HM_Alert_Vanguard_0007.jpg.43e6c3e175434a95d1f46ecff18107df.jpgHM_Alert_Vanguard_0011.jpg.39843e8256633742158d9d62f72465f6.jpg

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

Currently, I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that there is enough space for the PE decorations between the gun ports.

Darn, my fears were realized. Since I cut the gun ports too wide the PE decorations are now too long. I believe the only solution is to trim some of the decorations off as best as I can to fit them and make certain to do it in pairs to keep the symmetry on each side. No will know aside from me in the end and I really would like to have the ornate fittings on.

I’ll sleep on this before I start trimming but I don’t really see an alternative path, nor any real downside to this approach.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:01 AM, tkay11 said:

Unless, of course, you have a mind to practicing skills.

I considered this; I took a look forward and I think I’m in the clear so I took the easy way out (😳). I’ve almost all the decorations on and I think it looks good (my 7yr old though it was wonderful and asking if I painted it. The moment really made me smile but I had to tell her that I did not paint it, but maybe someday).

3 hours ago, DelF said:

What paint do you use?

Humbrol, but I don’t have much experience painting so maybe my pot is not representative. The red and blue were a good consistency (be certain to sand off that laser char though). The Black seemed thick and the yellow thin; but they all look reasonable to me so far so I’m not really complaining. I’ll have to try a few different brands as I go along and see what I like.

Has any used Liquitex Professional Heavy Body Acrylique. They come in a nice selection of colors They seem to have a good consistency & are all rather thick; haven't yet tried their yellow, but have used their titanium white, red oxide and ivory black.

I'm just starting out and have essentially zero experience in painting. Humbrol I can get in France, Admiralty paints I'd have to order from the UK.

Richard

I finished added the decorations

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0014.jpg.9fbed475ce30ec9ffdd6573b063c117d.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0016.jpg.9b7faa19fe1de37f83eb348155d9e30c.jpg

Then I started working on the cannonball holders and the cannonballs.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0018.jpg.688c50ced415d1725a42695d8be24a14.jpg

Unfortunately the cannonballs are steel so I tried to spray paint them instead of chemically blackening them. The spray seemed to work well but now that I'm gluing the shot into the holders I'm having a fit of a time. Glue is everywhere, mainly in places that I didn't intend and I'm scrapping off some of the paint; thankfully I'm doing this off model and I'll try to touch them up and we'll see what happens. This step is certainly full of frustration at the moment (and I'm pretty certain that I've lost at least a few cannonballs so most likely I'll have to find some replacements 🙁). I'll definitely be glad to be through with it).