Can anyone explain square dowels to me...

I am more curious how they determine the appropriate age to be using a stick, square or not.  

It's just a government mandate, and they have to pull something out of their.... hat..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Why the word “Dowel”?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

If roots can be square, why not dowels?

The real question is how you make square holes to put the dowels into? I saw a drill once that claimed to make square holes.

3 hours ago, Dr PR said:

If roots can be square, why not dowels?

I am still stumped by 'Pie are square'. Everyone knows pie are round; cornbread are square.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

I am still stumped by 'Pie are square'. Everyone knows pie are round; cornbread are square.

It took me a second but I got there 😁

4 hours ago, bruce d said:

Oh man, I almost fell of my seat laughing.  

Real cornbread is made in a round cast iron skillet and can't be square.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

1 hour ago, John Allen said:

Ever been to Oklahoma? :)

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

11 hours ago, Dr PR said:

I saw a drill once that claimed to make square holes.

I think those are just mortising bits.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

3 hours ago, John Allen said:

I‘m imagining that you don’t cut up your cornbread and a single serving is the whole skillet 😂.

38 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

a single serving is the whole skillet

Does that include the iron as a dietary supplement ? ☺️

1 hour ago, BETAQDAVE said:

I think those are just mortising bits.

There is a 'trick' using a floating head holding a bit, I think it is known as a 'Rolo' or 'Rollo' or something that sounds like that. The biit has three flutes and it gives a square hole: four flutes, a pentagon and so on, always one side on the finished hole more than the number of flutes. I saw one used once and it seemed almost supernatural but it works! (google it)

You know, somehow this isn't as much fun as talking about food.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I guess if it's a round hole, the peg that goes into it is a "dowel," even if the peg is square. Square pegs do go into round holes, actually. It's a traditional fastening option. Drill the pilot hole and then take a suitably sized square peg, whittle the lower edges of the peg so it fits to stick in the hole and then give it a good whack with a big mallet. The square peg expands the round hole to a tight fit in the round hole, yielding what appears as a square peg in a square hole.  (The pegs should be of a harder wood species than the wood into which they are driven.) They are a characteristic decorative feature of Arts and Crafts furniture construction. Essentially the same principles as the treenail, although treenails are generally blind-wedged at the bottom of the hole and a wedge driven at the exposed end of the peg to lock them in place.

Article Image
Edited by Bob Cleek

8 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I guess if it's a round hole, the peg that goes into it is a "dowel," even if the peg is square. Square pegs do go into round holes, actually. It's a traditional fastening option. Drill the pilot hole and then take a suitably sized square peg, whittle the lower edges of the peg so it fits to stick in the hole and then give it a good whack with a big mallet. The square peg expands the round hole to a tight fit in the round hole, yielding what appears as a square peg in a square hole.  (The pegs should be of a harder wood species than the wood into which they are driven.) They are a characteristic decorative feature of Arts and Crafts furniture construction. Essentially the same principles as the treenail, although treenails are generally blind-wedged at the bottom of the hole and a wedge driven at the exposed end of the peg to lock them in place.

Now you did it, Bob.  We're going to have comments about square pegs in round holes. At least it won't be cornbread. :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here is how to drill a square hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

My Dad loved cornbread and thought the "pie are round, cornbread are square" joke was funny. But Mom made cornbread in a cast iron mold that made sticks that looked like an ear of corn - really corny!

Getting back to the more serious topic...

17 hours ago, John Allen said:

Real cornbread is made in a round cast iron skillet and can't be square

Here's my cast iron skillet, in which I could make square(ish) cornbread (if I knew what cornbread was :rolleyes:).

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.2282b9cc8705e6bf56efce51050714a0.JPG

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

12 hours ago, DelF said:

if I knew what cornbread was

Cornbread is a Native American quick bread made from cornmeal. See Cornbread

On 1/25/2020 at 12:59 AM, DelF said:

Getting back to the more serious topic...

Here's my cast iron skillet, in which I could make square(ish) cornbread (if I knew what cornbread was :rolleyes:).

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.2282b9cc8705e6bf56efce51050714a0.JPG

Derek

How does that cast iron do on ceramic top stoves? Used lots of cast iron on electric, gas and wood stoves, bought and used a ceramic top, built in, stove in a house I once owned, never touched it with cast iron so have no experience there. Current electric kitchen stove is nearing replacement time, like cerrmace tops but like the cast iron better. Experience tells me iron and ceramic stove tops would not mix well, is that true with today's ceramics?

Hi Jud

It’s an induction hob. I’m not sure if that’s the same thing as a ceramic hob, but in any case it works fine with cast iron. It also works with stainless steel, so long as it is a magnetic grade. I have to say, it’s the best hob we’ve ever had, by far. Efficient, even heating  and dead easy to clean. 

Hope that helps

Derek 

Edited by DelF
Typo

Cheers, Derek

Just looking at your cast iron skillet Derek, and wondered how do you keep it as clean as that?😁 because no matter what I clean mine with it still looks like I've just took the steak out🤔

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

We just ‘season’ cast iron ware when it’s new by rubbing in cooking oil then heating it (without food). From then on it seems to be almost non-stick when you wash it. Before I tried it I thought the seasoning trick was an old wives tale, but it seems to work. 

I wish you hadn’t mentioned steak - I could just eat one now and it’s only breakfast time here!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Season it by heating oil (i.e. Peanut oil) and wiping it with a bunch of table salt after each usage.  We never wash one in soap and water.

Maury

After the original seasoning, many of the foods you cook in cast iron cookware will self season at each use if you don't cook foods with high acidic content and avoid cleaning with hot water and soap as you may be used to with normal cookware. If you do need to touch up the seasoning then do the process again in the oven or cheat by using this stuff:  https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-SPRAY-Seasoning-8-Ounce-Yellow/dp/B00J9QVVG8?creativeASIN=B00J9QVVG8&linkCode=w61&imprToken=SrHRv7x3mfqwNo4eohR5JA&slotNum=0

if you need to.

Or you could save some money by just using this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-Happy-Canola-Ounces/dp/B07P5V4DCR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?almBrandId=QW1hem9uIEZyZXNo&fpw=alm&keywords=canola+oil&qid=1580223283&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNUtCMlI0TjkyQVY2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQwNDE4Mk82QlUwUjNBVk03WiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg0MTI2MjZSQzExMzlNVE4zViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've never been able to successfully educate my wife about the proper care of my cast iron cookware or my high-carbon steel chef's knives. She throws everything in the dishwasher. God knows I've tried, but to no avail.

I've given up and just stored them separately and care for them myself before anybody else in the house can get their hands on them. I quietly retaliate by leaving the toilet seat up. :D 

I am waiting with baited breath for this hillarious topic to come full circle.... with corners.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)