Chuck Passaro's planking Videos - Where are they?

I'm guessing they must be here someplace, can anyone direct me to Chuck's video tutorials on planking?  It's time to up my game and relearn how to do my second planking's, I found one on You Tube and immediately constructed my "planking station" but I need a little more info.

Help with a  link would be appreciated 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Chuck!  I've looked at so many other techniques and after 8 models have my own, but mine kinda kinda sucks 🙂 .  I practiced bending on my new planking station yesterday and determined what I next needed to know is where to put the peak of the curve.  I'm sure I'll find that in your videos, I appreciate it!

One quick question, so you don't see the need to edge glue the planks as well as attaching them at the bulkhead?

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I only sometimes glue the edges.   If edge gluing will possibly close a gap then yes I will do so.   But if there isnt a gap then why bother.  I found that if I edge glued every plank, should I not like that plank after positioning it, it will be very hard to remove without also damaging the planks it was edge glued to.   

I only use PVA for my models....except when planking.   When planking I use CA.  I place a small drop in the center of each bulkhead to glue each strake into position while making sure it is tight against the plank next to it.   I only glue it on if it fits tightly and no gaps are seen after a test fit but sometimes I dont see the small ones and have to remove the plank after and try again.

Finding where to place the "top" of the bend and how severe to make the bend is a learning "curve".  No pun intended.  Its something you will learn to find as you practice this technique.  You will get much better with that after a dozen or so attempts.  Most times you will likely underbend in the beginning.   Then after that you may even over bend.    But that is what allows you to learn what shapes are best.  I would even go as far to say that you should sacrifice a few strips of wood and simply go nutty with some test bends.   Try over bending and try under bending as well.   Try moving the "top" of the curve forward or aft just as a test to see how it looks when test fitting.   Try a tight bend and then try a more "longer" and subtly bend.   Just examining the gaps after trying these different scenarios will help you learn a lot.  Its what I do on every model when starting this exercise because once I have a good idea what curve is needed its pretty similar for all of the other strakes.....more or less for the hull shape you are working on. 

Hope that helps.

That's great Chuck, thank you very much!! I need to go experiment with my new Chuck planking station ( I need smaller clamps, I have really big and really small:-). I have plenty of walnut strips to sacrifice.  I just ordered artist tape from Amazon, that makes so much more sense than trying to draw lines or placing "battons." 

Next up, marking the ship

Nelson Build-1744.jpg

just a piece of scrap wood, I may need to remake the curve piece. I did this on the fly just to see how it works.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Here is another tip.....

I know this may waste some wood.  BUT it is much easier to bend a strip not so close to the end of the strip.   You can get a much nicer and smoother bend a bit farther back.   Obviously then the excess after bending will need to be trimmed and discarded.   But that is OK.   It is very hard to bend a strip edge-wise so close to the end of a strip.  So this is just another option you might want to try when a tighter bend is required.

That makes sense, I encountered it doing the practice runs.  The strip is longer than the ship, so no problem with wasting the front.

Regards,

Glenn

I'm going to pin this so it won't get lost.  It's a valuable resource.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, glbarlow said:

That makes sense, I encountered it doing the practice runs.  The strip is longer than the ship, so no problem with wasting the front.

Glenn, are you going to do a build log? I always found your logs very informative and I never failed to learn something from your builds. I’d like to see the results of your application of Chucks methodology.... please consider it?

Thanks for asking. I’ll likely do one here when I start the HMS Speedy later this year.  The second time around on the planking may be more informative. I’m looking forward to building this Chris Watten kit. 

I’m working on figuring out Chuck’s method, but haven’t sorted it out just yet. For example I bought a French curve because he shows one in his marking the ship tutorial to transfer the curve but so far I have no clue how to do that 🤣😂. I will have questions once I get into the second planking this coming week. 

I enjoyed and learned from your Vanguard build as well, as I recall we were both building her at the same time. I still wish I’d kept an offline copy of my Pegasus build, it was my best effort at a log..gone in the great systems crash.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Chuck,

I’ll try to limit my dumb questions but I am determined to relearn planking using your method. So sorry in advance...

1. May I ask you to explain the drop plank and how to install a simple version, is it critical on a small model or can/should I just start bending planks below the Wales.

2. What’s the best way to determine the curve and start/stop point of the garboard plank?  I’ve always done one but  they haven’t been pretty...

3. And...I bought a French curve (and artist tape and wide low tack tape, I’m all in😂) but must profess I have no idea how to use it to transfer the curve with it?

I hope you don’t mind the questions, every time I watch your videos I marvel at how that plank just lays there so perfectly. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Actually I cant answer those for your particular hull.  Its your lining off of the hull that will best determine if you need a drop plank and how many.  I would probably go ahead and use one.  Most folks think they can bypass the lining off process but its best to do it....I use wide tape and trial and error to find the shape of the drop plank.  Your lining off will determine the shape of the garboard.

The french curve is only needed if you are going to cut and draw out your planks on a wider sheet.  For example the drop plank.

There is no real 100% scientific method for figuring the shape of the drop plank.   You need shape it and then use a paper template to test its fit and its shape up against the wales.  

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

Actually I cant answer those for your particular hull.  Its your lining off of the hull that will best determine if you need a drop plank and how many.  I would probably go ahead and use one.  Most folks think they can bypass the lining off process but its best to do it....I use wide tape and trial and error to find the shape of the drop plank.  Your lining off will determine the shape of the garboard.

The french curve is only needed if you are going to cut and draw out your planks on a wider sheet.  For example the drop plank.

There is no real 100% scientific method for figuring the shape of the drop plank.   You need shape it and then use a paper template to test its fit and its shape up against the wales.  

Chuck

Promise, I'm following your tutorial and will do the lining off process as best I can.  I'm going to learn this on the little model I'm working on now so I can transfer the knowledge the HM Speedy later.

I'll read everything and watch the videos multiple times - and see how it all comes together.  My hull is pretty much the standard cutter shape. I appreciate your making the time to answer my dumb questions.

Regards,

Glenn

I completed one side of my model (no drop plank, still not sure why or when I’d need one, historical points notwithstanding) I’m quite pleased with the results. I’ve become pretty good at plank bending with my travel iron. Amazing how much sideways twist I could get with this process. Measuring really helps understand how to fit and where to bend. 

Thanks Chuck!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn, can you do a quick outline of what finally “clicked” or worked for you? I still struggle with planks that have to be irregular shaped or filler pieces that are on the bottom so you hope no one ever sees them, I have tried lining off, tick strips, spileing ( which was the closest I came but whew! Lots of work) if you have a process can you share it please?

I just re-read your post about doing a log on the speedy build.... forgive my impatience- I am a visual learner, once I see it I get it but I have a hard time visualizing processes - and an even harder time ripping up my mistakes to try doing something over....😁 it’s funny, I’ve built lots of deck items etc several times to get them perfect but I hate tearing off planking- it’s definitely going to be a “ next level” hurdle for me.

Edited by ASAT

• 4 months later...

No video on that....but its explained in the many PDF documents I have written.  There are others available as well.   See here...

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

On 2/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, ASAT said:

Glenn, can you do a quick outline of what finally “clicked” or worked for you?

Lou,

I’m sorry, just seeing this now. I ported over my Lady Nelson log Here I explained in a little detail about how Chuck’s method worked for me there. I’m about to start below the Wales planking on Cheerful Here (which I started instead of Speedy) so I’ll be using it again soon. Hope you’ve found what you were looking for

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, Jim CT said:

planking at some event

With the .pdf in hand I think this video was especially helpful for me too.

Regards,

Glenn

15 hours ago, Jim CT said:

finding the PDF

My post included the link for Lady Nelson,, just click on the ‘here’ hyperlink. It and my other build logs are also linked in my signature line below. However the.pdf I’m referring to is the one created by Chuck on lining the hull which is linked at the beginning of this thread.   Clicking Here should also get you there. 

Welcome to MSW. One suggestion is to select, by click, hold, and drag, text and then on the quote selection block that appears to generate a reply for things you want to comment on as I’ve done with your reply.  It keeps from repeating to much text but also generates a notice to the person you’re asking something of and helps them to follow the question. I use it all the time, easy and quick way to get your questions and comments before the forum.

There are lots of great people here ready to help you out. If you haven’t selected your first model I highly recommend Vanguard Models which you can find Here  @chris watton is an active member of this site he maintains a thread on MSW with his latest product news Here  Chuck Passaro also has great models, they are a bit more advanced, but great to visit and follow Here Find some build logs you like and follow them. I’ve learned a lot of what I know from those logs the rest I learned by doing, screwing it up, re-doing, and doing it again. 

Hope all this helps, again welcome.

Regards,

Glenn

On 2/1/2020 at 2:25 AM, ASAT said:

going to do a build log?

Lou,

My most current logs are Cheerful and Nelson, both linked in my signature line below.  Next up for me on Cheerful is below the wales planking, with a single planked hull and scale length planks I’m in for an all new adventure. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 10:09 AM, glbarlow said:

It’s linked in my post above, it’s a .pdf, not a video

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:29 PM, Chuck said:

I only sometimes glue the edges.   If edge gluing will possibly close a gap then yes I will do so.   But if there isnt a gap then why bother.  I found that if I edge glued every plank, should I not like that plank after positioning it, it will be very hard to remove without also damaging the planks it was edge glued to.   

I only use PVA for my models....except when planking.   When planking I use CA.  I place a small drop in the center of each bulkhead to glue each strake into position while making sure it is tight against the plank next to it.   I only glue it on if it fits tightly and no gaps are seen after a test fit but sometimes I dont see the small ones and have to remove the plank after and try again.

Finding where to place the "top" of the bend and how severe to make the bend is a learning "curve".  No pun intended.  Its something you will learn to find as you practice this technique.  You will get much better with that after a dozen or so attempts.  Most times you will likely underbend in the beginning.   Then after that you may even over bend.    But that is what allows you to learn what shapes are best.  I would even go as far to say that you should sacrifice a few strips of wood and simply go nutty with some test bends.   Try over bending and try under bending as well.   Try moving the "top" of the curve forward or aft just as a test to see how it looks when test fitting.   Try a tight bend and then try a more "longer" and subtly bend.   Just examining the gaps after trying these different scenarios will help you learn a lot.  Its what I do on every model when starting this exercise because once I have a good idea what curve is needed its pretty similar for all of the other strakes.....more or less for the hull shape you are working on. 

Hope that helps.

Do you pin or nail the planks down with trummels or nails to give them that original look and to ensure they  are mechanically fastened for strength?