Chuck Passaro's planking Videos - Where are they?

Sometimes but not for strength.  Its just cosmetic.  I do t find any need to clamp or use pins to fix the planking in position.  But once planking is finished if I want that look I will treenail.  Like below.

fin1.jpg

fin6.jpg

On 1/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, Chuck said:

Here is another tip.....

I know this may waste some wood.  BUT it is much easier to bend a strip not so close to the end of the strip.   You can get a much nicer and smoother bend a bit farther back.   Obviously then the excess after bending will need to be trimmed and discarded.   But that is OK.   It is very hard to bend a strip edge-wise so close to the end of a strip.  So this is just another option you might want to try when a tighter bend is required.

Chuck, I have seen your videos regarding using an iron for edge bending planks which I have done and it worked quite well. How do you yourself do bending in the other direction? In other words to follow the curve of the hull of the ship from bow to stern. I have seen articles on steam, hot water and I have heard of using a hair dryer.
Thanks,

Harry

On 1/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, Gregory said:

Here's part 4..

Hi Chuck! I found these videos to be extremely useful,  thank you for taking the time to make them. The kit I have came with balsa wood hull planks and I'm wondering if the hot iron  technique will work for these? I'm concerned the delicate balsa would scorch.  What are your thoughts?

~ Rachel

Assuming it’s basswood it’s no problem. Even if you scorch it a bit it’s easily to lightly sand off. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

42 minutes ago, Rach10199 said:

balsa

Is replace that. Balsa won’t hold up very well

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

In addition to these 4 videos there is one more of Chuck using his Cheerful prototype to demonstrate plank bending at a work shop, filmed by someone attending. I can't seem to locate that more informal but very helpful video. Does anyone have a link? 

Regards,

Glenn