vulcanbomber

Victory & Temeraire Cross Stitch Project

During my Agamemnon cross stitch project (which can be found here), I asked for help in choosing a subject for my next cross stitch project and it was settled on the bow view of the race to the French line between Victory and Temeraire. It is adapted from a painting and shows the HMS Victory and HMS Temeraire with HMS Neptune just behind. It was @vossiewulf who suggested the picture and with help from @SteveM the cross stitch pattern was created. Thanks to you both for a great subject. 

victory-temeraire-bows-.jpg.065da86c4b33203be3f3201f56f1f507.jpg

I am using Zweigart Evenweave 28ct - easy count fabric. The picture is 650 stitches wide x 558 stitches high and will measure approx 23 1/4 inch (59cm) wide x 20 inch (50.5cm) high. There will be a total of 362,700 stitches when completed (hopefully in less than 10 years) and I am using 120 DMC colours. The pattern consists of 45 full A4 sheets and 9 partial A4 sheets.

Here are some of the materials ready for starting

26-jan-2020.thumb.jpg.2ed79aeea68ea5aa4ac8eed38f6e9a9c.jpg

The first couple of hours work. The shaded squares on the pattern are the completed stitches.

26-jan-2020a.thumb.jpg.8b205cc5b66805160bb94aa543c2c3b5.jpg26-jan-2020b.jpg.30c7bc1dc79fe2597bd9cb9afcb01e48.jpg

I have chosen the 'Easy count' fabric with the grid lines in the hopes that it will make it easier for counting as they correspond with the grid lines on the pattern. The lines on the fabric will wash out and won't leave a mark.

22 minutes ago, amateur said:

can you explain the plastic sheets with the hexagons in it?

Hi Jan,  they are floss holders. 

691196379_flossholder.jpg.3d13d5ca69da2f87a2728e8e8898926d.jpg

I usually make them from old cardboard boxes, but as it took so long to do the Agamemnon, the cardboard became weak and would break at the holes, so I invested in some plastic floss holders for the Victory and Temeraire. 

To make it easy selecting the correct floss for the symbol on the chart, I printed the symbol and corresponding floss number on a sticky back sheet, cut them up and stuck them to the floss holders. This way I don't need to keep looking at the 'key' sheet to find the correct number for the floss colour, I only have to look on the holders themselves as all the information is there. You can just about see the stickers on the plastic holders in the photo in my first post.

Edited by vulcanbomber
added photo

I'm assuming you are 1 over 1 on that 28 count fabric. I find I need very strong light to stitch that small, but I'm determined to do as much of it as I can while the eyes can.

Are you planning to work across the top pages first or down the left side?

Thanks for the comments and likes.

15 hours ago, SteveM said:

I'm assuming you are 1 over 1 on that 28 count fabric. I find I need very strong light to stitch that small, but I'm determined to do as much of it as I can while the eyes can.

Yes, that's correct. I have invested in a magnifying lamp that clips onto my work. It has an 8x magnifier and nice bright LED's. It's great!!

15 hours ago, SteveM said:

Are you planning to work across the top pages first or down the left side?

I'm planning to work in a diagonal, I am concentrating on the top left page at the moment, but there will be some 'spillage' onto the second top page where some of the same colour just creeps in, I will also be doing the same thing on the second page down the left hand side. Once the top corner is complete, I will move first to the page below, then onto the second page on the top row. (if you can understand what I mean!)