historic newspaper articles postings

AON

£500 in 1800 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £42,157.16 in 2020.

A liveable wage today for sure.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

will those sailors ever learn?      1808

(FYI - I've read many articles about duels... one between two women over a man! and the one was quite a good shot)

Kentish Weekly April 1808.JPG

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

same paper.... and the answer is a resounding NO, they will never learn.

Alan O'Neill

19 hours ago, AON said:

will those sailors ever learn?      1808

(FYI - I've read many articles about duels... one between two women over a man! and the one was quite a good shot)

I see an interesting phrase that I do not know the meaning of.  Can anyone shed some light on "half-seas over"?  Perhaps it means mostly drunk?

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

"half seas over" means fairly drunk or on they way to be stinking drunk... similar to "two" or "three sheets to the wind".

:cheers:  :champagne-2: :champagne:   

Alan O'Neill

of all the articles I've scanned through (1012 to be exact) this is the very first in which I've noticed the use of the acronym "HMS".

Capture.JPG

Alan O'Neill

One for our American and Russian readers - 25 Nov 1809

Caledonian Mercury - 25 Nov 1809.JPG

Alan O'Neill

A lesson from the past - 1809

We should be very careful!

Hampsire Chronicle - April 1809.JPG

Alan O'Neill

21 minutes ago, AON said:

A lesson from the past - 1809

We should be very careful!

Hampsire Chronicle - April 1809.JPG

So let's see: he was a fake bone model seller working for Bonaparte. Does that make him a Boney phoney? Or a model spy?
I know, shuddup and go back to sleep ....

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I would not want to be the one to break this news to the crew after a long voyage  - 1809

Public Ledger - Nov 1809.JPG

Alan O'Neill

A collapsible!  1809

Royal Cornwall Gazete - April 1809.JPG

Alan O'Neill

Why not just a good old fisticuffs knock down brawl?   - 1809

Oh, right, unbecoming of a potential officer.

Ipswich Journal - Aug 1809.JPG

Alan O'Neill

14 minutes ago, AON said:

A collapsible!  1809

Now that is a pretty good trick: 17ft long, 100 soldiers with kit and drawing three inches of water! Reminds me of a modern cruise ship.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

9 hours ago, AON said:

A collapsible!  1809

History keeps repeating itself. The US and allies during WWII had collapsible boats for crossing rivers.  Not that big but the biggest ones could carry (if I remember right) 20 soldiers or so and equipment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

image.png.84e006eb3c49412967d0a26d0e80576c.png

I'm having trouble getting a mental picure of this - did they lie on top of each other? Let me see: allow 6 feet in height per soldier, and say 18 inches wide - that's 9 square feet per person. Then divide that into 17 feet long and five feet wide, which is 85 square feet; as I calculate that, there's room for probably 2 soldiers long and 3, maybe 4 wide. Which makes 6 or 8 soldiers. Divide that into 100, makes it 12 layers of soldiers high! Can someone check my maths? It just doesn't seem to work for me.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:24 AM, bruce d said:

he was a fake bone model seller

I didn't know you could get fake bone back then . . .:P

Steven  

regarding the fake bone model seller:  I have to re-read many post as they sometimes read funny.  I think they were saying he was a fake seller of bone models.

regarding the number of soldiers in the boat:  it all depends how you fold them?  possibly they were boy soldiers!  much younger and shorter, smaller chest size.... they had arms,  possibly removed their legs??   I think it is just fake news  possibly to confuse the enemy as I can't get more than 27 in the space semi-comfortably,  30 otherwise.  :D

Alan O'Neill

Wait! Did it say the boat was collapsible, or the soldiers?

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Thanks Allan for keeping these coming. Fascinating stuff!

Re the purchasing power of a £500 reward for turning in the murderers of the Revenue cutter crewmen, it is a fairer comparison to say that an ordinary seaman around this time was paid £11 6s per year, less than £1 per month. This means that £500 would be the equivalent of more than 40 year's pay! Now that would certainly be a major inducement! This had been the same since the reign of Charles II. I am not sure what happened to pay after the mutinies in 1797, maybe it was increased then. Imagine the rate of pay not increasing for over a hundred years; different times indeed, with presumably much lower inflation. Prices did increase dramatically during the Napoleonic Wars, though.

Did you see anything to say what happened in the smugglers' case. Was the reward claimed.

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

See below a picture of a model from the NMM of a troop landing craft, approx mid 18th century. Length is 32 ft, width 10 ft. Total number on board 68 men.

image.png.7d7a8b849501272b22a6d4e121e4e664.png

image.png.76d619dbc11451595e5afdab04b38bfe.png

Edited by Mark P
Written museum note added

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Mark

re: the smugglers

unfortunately my focus is on one ship and so I've been given individual pages that mention her

articles posted here are what I find on those pages that grab my attention

I see but a fraction of what was printed in the time

what happened to the smugglers was likely on a page I didn't get

bad news is I finished all the pages I had.

good news is I've just acquired another 400+ pages the other day,  so there may be more here.

Alan

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Mark

It is easier to fit people in a wooden boat with thwarts than in a canvas boat that mentions them laying down in it and being stacked like cord wood

Alan O'Neill

17 hours ago, AON said:

good news is I've just acquired another 400+ pages the other day,  so there may be more here.

Good news - this has been a fascinating journey so far and I for one am looking forward to seeing more.

Steven

Here are a few

a new invention with stem power - 1810

Bath Chronicle - August 1810.JPG

Alan O'Neill

Here is one you don't see often - 1810

British Press - 21 June 1810.JPG

Alan O'Neill

rank has its privileges -  read down to the end.  1810

But sir... we was just 'av'n a friendly pint and it went down 'is wind 'ole, so I's made to smacked 'm on the back a few times to help 'm out, but he kept mov'n about on me, so's I smacked 'm to stop... honest.

Hampshire Telegraph - Nov 1810.JPG

Alan O'Neill

and last for today... need a job - 1810

Hampshire Telegraph - Nov 1810 (2).JPG

Alan O'Neill

Apparently the builder failed in 1807. Somehow Kidwell must have been back in business - maybe! - in 1810. He had been contracted to build Pyramus, 36 guns, later 42, in 1805. After the yard closed, her frames were transported to Portsmouth, where the ship was reassembled and completed. That ad sounds sketchy to me.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv