HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Danny,

The rope is a vast improvement. Also after slowly working my way through every page of this build, the thing that strikes me is the subtle difference in colors from framing vs decking vs cannon carriages then to rope and texture. All lend to making the details stand on their own. Nothing overpowers another. It gives a sense of walking through the life size vessel. Beautiful work :)!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Thanks all for dropping in again :) .

John, Mark and Joe - the "Sew Stable" Fabric Stabilizer I used seems to have done the trick nicely. It's set like PVA, but doesn't look like it's been glued down. Just the slightest amount of darkening of the thread, but after painting the whole line it's not at all noticeable :) .

Spyglass - I'd already "notched" the blocks (I do that with all of them). These ones are only 2.7mm, so it probably doesn't show as much as larger ones do. I gave the lines a bit more of a soak after the main part of the coil had dried and worked the lines a little bit more realistically. They look better to the naked eye than the pics may show.

Bill - I'm glad you like the "color scheme" :D . I've used seven types of timber so far - Swiss Pear (a light and a dark shade), Castello Boxwood, English Boxwood, Ebony, Holly and Australian Cherry Ballart. The only paint used on the model is some Lead Grey for the Magazine floor and the Scuppers and Matt Black for the Galley Stove. The only other paint that will be used is Matt Black or Umber for the Seizings on the Standing Rigging, and a mixture I've made up that matches the Running Rigging lines for their seizings - the tiny fishing line I use for them only comes in white.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Gangboard Knees

I've made and fitted five of the six port side Gangboard Knees. This required a slight re-do of four of the gun tackles, as the two forward ones on gun #4 and the two aft ones on gun #3 are both attached to the knees, not the spirketting. An oversight on my part :huh::blush: .

Gangway Knees 002.jpg

Gangway Knees 001.jpg

Gangway Knees 003.jpg

Gangway Knees 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

beautiful progress Danny.........the cannons and rigging looks great!  your wood working skills are super......nice work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks John and Popeye.

Planksheers in the Waist

I've started on the Planksheers, sometimes called Cap Rails or Covering Boards. I made these from Australian Cherry Ballart, which is not related to Cherry but rather refers to the red coloring.

It's not visible in the pics, and is almost invisible to the eye, but the outer edges of them have a slight molding scraped into them.

Planksheer 001.jpg

Planksheer 002.jpg

Planksheer 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John.

ain't that a delightful timber to work!

Yes and no - it's a lot better than some and has nice coloring, but it also has a fairly chunky grain, depending on the piece you select. This makes scraping a molding into it rather difficult at times.

Hances

I've started with the port forecastle hance. First I milled the underside to shape and finessed it to fit the planking, then I used the disc sander and a needle file to get the upper side to follow in a parallel curve. I cut the molding in with a shaped scraper and an Xacto blade.

Hances 002.jpg

Hances 003.jpg

I'm not sure yet whether I'll continue with the Cherry Ballart or rip the lot out and use dark Swiss Pear. I'm not all that happy with the definition of the molding.

Cheers, Danny

Ahoy Danny :D

Regardless of your decision it really shows there is almost no limit. Amazing work

Can I ask how you get the symmetry in your tree nails. I noticed that even on your deck they are perfectly spaced.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Knowing your attention to detail and "getting things right" Danny, I suspect we'll be seeing a re-do on those. No criticism implied Danny, but I agree that these don't seem to match your own expectations. I suspect that some Swiss Pear will give you more the result that you're looking for.

Thanks for looking in Jeff, John, Grant and Jan - much appreciated :) .

Can I ask how you get the symmetry in your tree nails. I noticed that even on your deck they are perfectly spaced.

Jeff, I draw a line down the centre of the frame or beam and just do the rest by eye.

btw: did your woodworms miss one little hole? (in the upper left corner of the gunport)

No Jan, they didn't. There are bolts in every 3rd frame in the waist. I won't be fitting them until I'm ready for clear coat, as there may be a bit of touching up to do (as in sanding) before then.

John, Jan and Grant - the redo is about to happen :D .

Cheers, Danny

OK, here you go Ben and the others who commented on my Hances v1.0 - I've remade the Planksheers and the first Hance using a dark shade of Swiss Pear. I'm much happier about the result - crisper definition and far less chipping out. There are minor irregularities which you can see under high magnification, but to the eye they look pretty good if I say so myself :D . They will look even better when a finish has been applied.

Hances 004.jpg

Hances 005.jpg

Hances 009.jpg

Hances 006.jpg

Hances 007.jpg

Hances 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you John - I like it now :) .

A small "Tutorial" on how I made the Hances.

One trick I learned long ago is to make small pieces that are awkward to hold on the end of a long piece of stock which can be used as a handle for more control.

First I Milled the inside curve. These will all come out the same for the four of this type - the planking is finessed to fit the radius :

Hances 010.jpg

Next the outer curve is sanded down to follow the shape of the inner one. I started off with the Byrnes disc sander and finished with a sanding stick :

Hances 011.jpg

I could only use the molding scraper for the straight grained section :

Hances 012.jpg

The curved sections were cut with a very narrow Xacto chisel :

Hances 013.jpg

The piece will be cut off the longer stock when it's all cleaned up.

Cheers, Danny

Nice tutorial Danny and they did come out nicer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work. The quality is in the details.

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Thank you Mark, Grant, TJ, Tony, Bill and Elmer :) .

I've made all 10 Hances. I've used a simplified design eliminating the fancier rolled scrolls on most of them - they were hard enough to carve out the way I've done them :huh:  .

The upper ones on the forecastle and quarterdeck have been scarfed out to fit to the planksheers :

Hances 014.jpg

Hances 015.jpg

Hances 016.jpg

Hances 017.jpg

Hances 019.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very Nice recovery Danny, thanks for the Step by Step, I have tucked that one away for the future.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.