HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Danny,

These capstans are very well done! I understand why you want to use ebony, it indeed looks well like iron... If this ring can be sanded whitout breaking, it should do. I can't see the five pieces in the ring: good repair! Are there other blackish woods less fragile than ebony?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thanks Brian and Adeline.

Are there other blackish woods less fragile than ebony?

None that are as black. It was more to do with my cutting technique I think - I probably didn't have the lathe speed fast enough and the feed too fast. No real problem though (apart from finding the pieces :D ) - here's the finished result after sanding the ring flush :

Trundle Head 008.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Ben and John.

Have you considered using a more friendly wood and staining it black?

The problem there John is that I have to finish it flush with the top of the trundlehead, and the best way of doing that is sanding it down. Stained wood might come out a bit uneven if the stain doesn't penetrate far enough. Soaking the piece in stain for half an hour might work though, as the end grain is at the top and would take stain more readily.

Anyway, I'd rather not find out that it DOESN'T work - removing a poorly stained ring would be a real pain :huh: :D.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

its amazing what you are doing on such a smale scale :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Dan,

You told me there were others that were better !! I am really starting to doubt that. Yes they are great but your attention to such detail is without peer.

An absolute inspiration. My first DUTY of the day is to follow your build.

With much respect,

Russell

Nice work on the ebony.  I've seen these done in brass but the ebony really came out nice. Nicer than brass, IMO.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dan the insetting of the ebony is a masterful touch, it is great that you did not give up and glued the pieces together and continued. The end result speaks volumes.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Danny, that is some very nice work mate; looks great despite the issues you experienced.  Be interesting to hear how you go with different turning and feed speeds.  I have avoided turning ebony to date as I don't have  alot and did not want to ruin the bits I had - so i have been saving it for those 'special' projects.  Thanks for doing the research and trials for me ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks very muchly Randy, Adrian, Russell, Mark, Sherry, Michael and Pat :) .

My first DUTY of the day is to follow your build.

Geez Russell, does that mean I need to post something NEW every day? :D :D I'll do my best not to disappoint ;)

Pat, the only things I did differently with the Drumhead Ring was up the RPM to near Max and slow down the Feed to near Zero with the Cutoff Tool - that worked a lot better, as you can see below. The ring has only just been glued in and still needs finishing, but it came out IN ONE PIECE :) :

Drumhead Ring 001.jpg

Drumhead Ring 002.jpg

Note - the top face of the ring is straight off the Cutoff Tool. The bottom face has been machined to fit the groove.

Cheers, Danny

Here's the Drumhead Ring finished off :

Drumhead Ring 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Fabulous Danny, and with your usual great explanations too! The ebony looks great but I'm still curious as to why you chose to use this instead of, say, brass (did I miss this?) or was it "because I could"?

Thank you Joe, Andy, Clay and Grant :) .

what's next some fancy cabinetry inlay, or a parquet floor? ;)

No thanks Andy, I'll leave that to Janos. Parquetry floors were restricted to Royal Yachts :D .

I'm still curious as to why you chose to use this instead of, say, brass

Because I could ;)  , and also because it was probably easier than trying to turn a couple of brass rings, blacken them, turn out a perfect height groove in the drumhead and epoxy them in perfectly flush :huh::D .

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Janos. I'll use a 5-cent piece on my next lot of pics ;)  .

Capstan Bars

They'll be about the LAST things fitted but I thought I may as well make the Capstan Bars while I'm in that mode. There are 15 bars in total (5 on the lower capstan and 10 on the upper) but I'm only going to fit 6 or 7 to the top one and none on the lower - I want to show off the square holes in the drumhead on the starboard side.

The bars are 8 feet long. They have a 3 1/2" square tenon on the inner end to fit the hole in the drumhead. Then they step up to a short 3 3/4" section, and round off and taper to 2 5/8" at the outer ends.

I started by cutting the square bars on the table saw. Then I made a little jig from a pine block to sand the inner step all to the same length and depth - this seems like "overkill" but it made the job very easy :

Bars 002.jpg

Bars 003.jpg

Bars 001.jpg

Bars 004.jpg

Then I made another jig to turn the other end into an octagon. This also started the "rounding" in the right position, and also gave me a good grip on the bars whilst sanding :

Bars 009.jpg

Bars 008.jpg

The one on the right is still square, the middle one has been "octagoned", and the left one is finished :

Bars 005.jpg

I finished off the tapering and rounding by holding the bars flat on my sanding sheet board and using a sanding stick. Here are the first four :

Bars 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Here you go Janos - both capstans with an Australian 5 cent piece in the foreground. For those of you who don't know, it's our smallest coin with a diameter of 19.25mm :

5 Cent Piece 001.jpg

5 Cent Piece 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Hello Danny!

Your work is absolutely perfect and awesome. That´s a great inspiration, what is possible to create. Thank you for description and sharing the pics from the progress. I cannot still pick up my jaw from the floor.... :o 
My admiration to your masterpiece.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I know how big an Australian 5C piece is! Wow, your work is a whole magnitude more fine than I thought. This is real precision small scale work. Amazing, well done. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Great Danny!  B)

It turned out very well indeed and we would not have known that one of the rings is a jigsaw puzzle if you had not told us. This proves that even the more fragile woods like ebony can be forgivable with the help of a few drops of glue... and an expert hand.

Those bars are also very well done (they look much more like capstan bars than my poor try with tooth picks...  :blush: ).

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thank you very much John, Janos, Doris, Amfibius, and Adeline - I'm glad you all appreciate the effort gone into this piece. It's been a heap of fun building it :) .

Almost finished with the Capstans - I've fitted all the bolts. There are 10 brass ones (they should be iron, but I've used brass so they can be seen) in each reinforcing ring, as well as the 0.35mm holes for the bar retaining pins. The pics with the sidecutters give you an idea of how small these "bolts" are - the last one to be fitted is lying on top of the drumhead in one of the pics.

I've used blackened brass "bolts" for the remainder.

Bolts 001.jpg

Bolts 002.jpg

Bolts 003.jpg

Bolts 004.jpg

Bolts 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny