HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks very much for the tip on scroll-sawing, Danny, I'll give it a try :) Those bulkheads look great Sir, they fit perfectly like gloves which is no small feat given the complex shape of the inner bulwarks. Upper counter planking is also coming along very nicely, great work! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Danny

What a beautiful piece of work. You are a true master of this art. The wealth of information that you share so freely in your posts (all the way back from the Modelshipworld v1.0 days) helped me to avoid so many pitfalls during my first build. I think it is safe to say that without all the advice, tips and jig ideas you have shared over the years, my SF2 would be somewhere on a dump by now and I would never have found a hobby that I love. Thanks again.

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

Danny I just never get tired of looking in at your build. everything always looks neat and crisp...I strive to reach that level in my lifetime.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks for the link to the glass cutting Danny

Something that I learned from an old glass cutter (my dad) is to run old glass under cold water first before trying to cut it. seems to work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for dropping by again John, Aldo, Wolf (glad I could help you before, happy to do it again), Brian and Robbyn.

Thank you for the tip on running the glass under water Michael - I'll give that a go.

Forecastle Bulkhead

I'm jumping around the place a bit here - I thought it might be a good idea to go back to the Forecastle Bulkhead to get a bit of practice on doing "Lights" (windows) with proper framing before attempting the Stern Lights. This bulkhead has two framed lights which can be swung up out of the way - the stern ones also swing up.

First I had to make the rest of the bulkhead pieces and doors, which are all similar to the previously made aft cabin bulkheads. The doors still need hinges and doorknobs :

Forecastle Bulkhead 002.jpg

Forecastle Bulkhead 003.jpg

Forecastle Bulkhead 004.jpg

The Lights will go into the section that is still open. I'll be making a removable panel underneath them through which the Anchor Hawsers can pass. This will be a bit of "be your own shipwright" on my part - it seems the only logical (and easy) way to get the hawsers to the bitts without causing any stress or damage to the bulkhead.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Just when I get to the point where I think I'm doing pretty well....I come to your log and realize just how far I still have to go! As always...beautiful workmanship!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Danny, is there molding above and below the upper counter planking? If so it may be easier to install it now rather than later. I am out of town and do not have access to  my reference material. Laman

Edited by lagrayjr

Thanks Janos, John and Sherry.

John, the lights are too high for the cable to pass through - the cable would damage the lower panel.

Danny, is there molding above and below the upper counter planking? If so it may be easier to install it now rather than later. I am out of town and do not have access to  my reference material. Laman

Yes there is, also at the sides.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Just when I get to the point where I think I'm doing pretty well....I come to your log and realize just how far I still have to go! As always...beautiful workmanship!

Don't sell yourself short, that is exactly what I am thinking looking at your Mayflower then looking at my own!! :P

Danny,  love following along with this.  I remember doing plastic models and watching the pro's work cars, armor and air to this kind of level.   Now am finding you doing the same with ships!   Amazing and as I am sure I have said, inspiring.  Thanks!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Forecastle Bulkhead Lights

I've just about finished all the Forecastle Bulkhead, just a bit of cleaning up and Minwaxing to go.

I've made the two Lights, as well as the two hinged panels under them. They are hinged for the anchor cables to pass through as I previously mentioned. There is no real documentation that supports the design of these - I fitted them the only logical way I could guess at.

The Lights are made from 1.2mm x 2mm Boxwood rebated to accept the acrylic "glass". The filler and munion strip is only 0.4mm x 0.8mm - this was glued in and then sanded flush with the framing :

Forecastle Bulkhead Light Framing 002.jpg

Forecastle Bulkhead Lights 003.jpg

The bulkhead with the Starboard side Light and Cable Panel fitted. I'll fit the Port side ones when I have completed the forecastle deck framing as these will both be fitted in the open position :

Forecastle Bulkhead Lights 004.jpg

Viewed from Aft :

Forecastle Bulkhead Lights 006.jpg

Viewed from Forward :

Forecastle Bulkhead Lights 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Why thank you John :) .

Now that the forecastle bulkhead is completed, and I've worked out my method for making the Lights, I turn my attention back to the Stern Lights.

The first thing I had to do when I lifted my ship from the Tilting Table and had a good look at my previous work was to remove the Upper Counter Planking and the uppermost Lower Counter plank and re-align them properly. That is one disadvantage of using the tilt table - I can't get a good view athwartships because of the way I have it all set up (workbenches get in the way).

The Counter Timbers needed some trimming to get the curvature of the counter to match that of the Transom. My first attempt had the curvature upside-down :huh::blush:  . The blue line is correct, the red line is where the original counter planking finished. The upper counter planking should be parallel with the transom (green arrows) :

Stern Light Framing 001.jpg

After some careful marking out I used a small diameter drum sander in the Dremel to cut off the bulk of the excess and finished off with a round sanding stick. What looks like a "dip" to the left of the rudder is actually the 2nd lower counter plank - it cuts off at an angle over the last section before the rudder and creates an optical illusion. See HERE

Cheers, Danny

A "Heads Up" to those who are following me in building a Swan Class :

TFFM is not very clear in some aspects of the Stern Light Framing, and I've found one bit that would have been much easier to do BEFORE the Counter Timbers are fitted.

Section 9.15 mentions that the first step to doing the framing is to fit the Lower Sills and then rebate the ends of the Inner Planking to match the (not yet fitted) 1" thick Counter Timber Linings. This would be extremely difficult to do after the lower sills are fitted, in fact it was VERY HARD to do with the Inner Counter Timbers already in place (it took me nearly an hour :huh:  ). Luckily I'd already removed the upper counter planking (see previous post) or it would have taken a lot longer on the Port side. I suggest you cut the Inner Planking back the required distance WHEN YOU FIT THE PLANKING.

TFFM is also unclear about HOW MUCH to cut the rebate in - I cut it back to the inner face of the counter timbers, which is wrong. No big deal, I'll just glue in two extra pieces the same as the ones that line the counter timbers to fill the gaps. The rebates should be the same width as the thickness of the Light Frames.

Stern Light Framing 002.jpg

Stern Light Framing 003.jpg

You'll get the idea when I actually do these pieces shortly - I still need to replace the upper counter timbers first.

Cheers, Danny

Danny the Blue, Green,and Red lines are confusing to my addled brain. I am trying to understand what you are showing but it is eluding me.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Danny the Blue, Green,and Red lines are confusing to my addled brain. I am trying to understand what you are showing but it is eluding me.

Michael

Michael, read the last two sentences before the pic again - I put the lines there to make it easier (not harder :D ) to understand where I went wrong, and how it should have looked (and looks now ;)  ).

Cheers, Danny

Danny thanks for the explanation it is just the Monty Python mind that I have been given that makes want to question everything.Back to whenever, [Ere' wot are you doin' puttin' that beam there 'aven't I told you to do what I tell you] it just bubbles up now and then.thinking of the crew that were building these amazing vessels.

Michael

Hello Danny

I have been fowling along and nice work. 

I have been working on the Triton's stern for months. Finally got it ready for the lights and after many tries haven't gotten them all the same. When I did they were too small measured ones cut twice.   :(  just can't wait to start the slanted ones.  This has been such a nightmare for me my next build will have the same kind of stern. Practice, practice,  practice.

I will be interested in how you will make your lights, the same as you just did individual parts.  I finely did mine like hatch comings then sanded them to the right thickness. This took days to get them little devil's right.

TJ   

Edited by BubbleHead

Making Light Frames

To make the Light Frames themselves I cut a channel using my Byrnes saw. This is 1.5mm wide by 1.0mm thick, and has a 0.5mm rebate in the middle to hold the acrylic "glass" which is 0.48mm thick :

Glazing 001.jpg

Glazing 002.jpg

To make the corners I cut the rebate out of one section, leaving it slightly long - this will be sanded back when it is completed :

Glazing 003.jpg

Glazing 006.jpg

I just made this piece up as a demonstration. I'll make a proper jig to assemble the pieces later.

Cheers, Danny

NIce work, Danny.  Can't wait to see the jig.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice clean work.

michael

Really clever way of making the Frames Danny, do you have a special jig for moving the frame over the saw when it is being rebated ?

You have never seemed to drop your standard of workmanship on this build, but keep pushing the standards higher, well done.

Regards,

Martin.

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Very nice work Danny, it's always enlightening when catching up on your progress.

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Dan, you made a great progress in the last few weeks. As allways it is a pleasure to follow your log.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I have not seen a frame with the groove on such small wood before.  All I need is the right blade to give it a try on the next go around. Do you have any sequence photos of cutting the material and then the groove, (or vice versa?).  Cutting such small material can be tricky, even if using box or other close grained woods.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU