HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Danny it is great checking in on your build, I like the way you solve the little details.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Aldo, John, Aitch, Pygothian and Michael, and welcome to the two "newcomers" to my Build Log, and a special welcome to an old friend :) .

Quarterdeck Hanging Knees

TFFM show a total of 14 pairs of Hanging Knees for the Quarterdeck on the plan view. This is (I hope) a mistake, as the ones above the Quarter Light on Beam 14 would only be a couple of (real) inches high :huh: . I will be omitting these.

There are three hanging knees on beams 3, 6 and 9 which are above gunports - I've made a shortened version for these :

Hanging Knees 003.jpg

All the knees are that close to the same size and shape that I could mass produce them - what a bonus :D . There are only minute variations in the side bevels, which will be sanded in as they are fitted. These are all straight from the scroll saw, and still require a fair bit of work to finish them :

Hanging Knees 002.jpg

Here's the first one I made, all completed with "bolts" and lacquer. I used it as a template for the rest, after first checking it on various locations :

Hanging Knees 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Ah yes, the knees, just the thought of having to shape each and everyone of those to make them fit the adjacent structures gives me the creeps, but you make it look so easy Danny, very elegant work B) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you John and Aldo :) .

My girlfriend brought up a pertinent question today - "Why do they call them Knees when they have two Arms. Shouldn't they be called Elbows?" :D

Continuing on ......

Somewhere down the track I'd forgotten all about fitting a strake for the lower part of the quarterdeck hanging knees to sit on the starboard side. I decided on the upper of the two rows of Spirketting.

Fitting them was a little more difficult than it should have been if I'd done so before gluing in all the quarterdeck beams, but it wasn't too hard. First I made up the two pieces of Top and Butt Shifted planking, complete with treenails which would have been impossible to fit after the strakes were in position :

Starboard Spirketting 001.jpg

Some pics of the strakes being fitted :

Starboard Spirketting 002.jpg

Starboard Spirketting 004.jpg

And with the foremost knee glued in place :

Starboard Spirketting 006.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

that's some tedious work Danny.........but it looks super!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

lovely work Danny, the more and more i see of your work the more i would like to give it a go

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

So, your girlfriend already has you on your elbows and knees Danny! ;)

Very nicely done, as usual, though! :)

Now that's a very nice fit Danny, perfect shaping work on those structures! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks Popeye, John, Kevin, Grant, Aldo and Tony.

Bit of a squeeze in there, Danny - but it worked!

Not as hard as it looks John and Popeye - the strakes could be inserted from each end (they meet behind a bulkhead ;)  ).

So, your girlfriend already has you on your elbows and knees Danny! ;)

Been like that almost since "Day 1" Grant :D . But I'm not complaining :) .

I've finished and fitted all the port side hanging knees. A few need their tops sanded slightly to match the tops of the beams. Most of them will be almost invisible when the deck planking goes on, but I'm not sure which ones can be caught a glimpse of so I detailed them all. The three in the middle of the pic will DEFINITELY be invisible, but hey ..... we all know they're in there :D :

Knees 001.jpg

Knees 002.jpg

A view through the port side stern light. The glue is still wet on the last one I fitted :

Knees 003.jpg

From the waist :

Knees 004.jpg

And through a starboard gunport :

Knees 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The diligence and attention continue to amaze me.  The frame is so busy and complicated and looks fantastic.   Would love to try one myself but i think I will live vicariously through you for a while :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

just beautiful

Maury

Thank you Grant, Adam, John and Maury.

Cast Knee

There is a knee alongside the aftmost sweep port that needs a bit of shifting to clear the port. This is achieved in a similar manner to the much earlier "Casting" of some of the Frames :

Cast Knee 001.jpg

Cast Knee 002.jpg

Cast Knee 003.jpg

Cast Knee 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again John and Russell.

why wouldn't they just have put a "regular" knee on the other side of the deck beam instead?

Hi pianomanpj, and welcome to my build log :) .

The hanging knee can't be placed on the opposite side of a beam as it would interfere with the Lodging Knee - you'll see what I mean shortly when I start fitting those.

Cheers, Danny

"My name is Danny, Look on my works, and despair!"

Thanks Spyglass :D :D :D .

Lodging Knees

Work has started on the quarterdeck Lodging Knees. I've made these using the same techniques as earlier lodging knees, using card templates to get their shapes :

Lodging Knees 002.jpg

Lodging Knees 004.jpg

Lodging Knees 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sweet work, Danny.  Moving the bar a bit higher, I see.  That cast knee is proof.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And thanks again to John, Mark and Pygothian :) .

All the quarterdeck lodging knees are now completed.

Lodging Knees 016.jpg

Lodging Knees 019.jpg

As Beam #14 couldn't be supported by a Hanging Knee due to being only 5 (scale) inches above the quarterlight opening, I came up with an alternative solution. I've made a 5" x 7" Angle Bracket which bolts through the frames and into the lodging knees either side of the beam.

I used two pieces of 0.040" brass to which I soldered 8 "bolt heads". These were then blackened and epoxied in :

Lodging Knees 007.jpg

Lodging Knees 008.jpg

Lodging Knees 009.jpg

Lodging Knees 010.jpg

Lodging Knees 014.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Interesting solution, Dan. I suspect that, as the quarter deck does not carry much weight, the hanging knee would have been simply omitted entirely. Only the lodging knee would be installed.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the input Druxey and John. Point noted about the small amount of weight the beam would have carried.

The problem I could see was how they would have bolted the Lodging Knees to the beam. Maybe I went with "overkill", but that's the way I would have done it if I were building the ship ;)  .

Quarterdeck Hatch Coamings

I've made and fitted the Coamings for the quarterdeck hatches and companions, along with the "packers" for the Capstan Step (pic 2 below). The hatches taper slightly in width from fore to aft.

Coamings 001.jpg

Coamings 002.jpg

Coamings 003.jpg

All the coamings have a 2" roundup except the aftmost one. This one will have a clerestory light fitted above it and is therefore straight on top, although the bottom has a roundup to match the beam (as they all do).

Coamings 004.jpg

The foremost coaming hasn't been finished yet - I took the pic now to show my method of ensuring a perfect fit in the corners. Each lapped joint has been cut slightly oversize, the pieces glued in, and then trimmed to align with the sides of the head ledges and coamings. This coaming is slightly wider than the others.

Coamings 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny