HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thank you John and Raphael - in answer to your question I use "Birchwood-Casey Brass Black".

Capstan Step

The upper Capstan Step is made in similar fashion to it's lower counterpart. Three pieces of Boxwood were jointed together using rebates :

Capstan Step 001.jpg

The step was then sanded down into a wedge shape to allow for the sheer of the quarterdeck. This is necessary to ensure the axis of both capstans align vertically :

Capstan Step 002.jpg

The hole for the capstan shaft was also drilled, slightly oversize to allow for alignment. Blackened brass bolts were also added :

Capstan Step 005.jpg

Two views of the fitted step and capstans. Some tidying work is still needed :

Capstan Step 003.jpg

Capstan Step 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Spyglass: I think you may be mislead by the fact that some builders paint the black (first) strake above the wale, so that the upper cheek appears to land on the wale: it actually sits on the black strake.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey, thanks for chiming in on Spyglass's query - I had no idea what he was talking about :blush:  . Now I do (I think  :D ) .

John - :D :D :D .

Forecastle and Quarterdeck Waterways

I've made and fitted the 12" wide Forecastle and Quarterdeck Waterways. These are the first steps in planking a deck (or two :) ). I used card templates to determine the outer shapes, then transferred those to the inner edges, and cut them all from sheet stock :

Waterways 001.jpg

The same Scraper used for the previous decks' waterways was employed to shape these. There will be a little more work done to the ends of both later on :

Waterways 002.jpg

I've also fitted the King Planks to both decks using a string down the centre line - the same method was used for the previous decks. The King Planks are 6.4mm (12") wide - a measurement and calculation for the remaining 13 deck strakes came up with the figure of 4.3mm maximum width for the Forecastle and 4.45mm for the Quarterdeck. Both decks have tapered planks, and also two Dropped planks each - more about these soon.

Waterways 003.jpg

A closeup of the scarf joint in the quarterdeck waterway :

Waterways 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny, I have been silently watching you build for awhile now.  Awesome work!!

A quick question if you don't mind...

When you blacken your brass parts such as nails or bolts, do you blacken before you insert in the wood or after?  I'm wondering if I can insert the brass pin, file/sand it down flush, then blacken it without affecting the color of the surrounding wood?

Thanks for your help and again, you have a wonderful build going!!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Thank you John, Janos and Wes.

Janos - read the text above the 2nd pic - SCRAPING :) .

Wes - You can't use the Birchwood-Casey Brass Black after a piece has been inserted in close proximity to wood (such as a nail). It WILL stain the wood, so all blackening must be done prior to fitting. I push the nail/bolt home with a plastic tool to minimize removing the blackening, with varying degrees of success :huh:  .

If you use Copper instead of Brass, you CAN blacken it with "Liver of Sulfur" without staining the timber. It's not something I've tried personally, as I have found it rather difficult to get any LoS in Australia. Builders like EdT and Remco have had very good success using it however. It's readily available in the USA.

Cheers, Danny

I've just been following along quietly, Danny.  Very impressive work. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you use Copper instead of Brass, you CAN blacken it with "Liver of Sulfur" without staining the timber. It's not something I've tried personally, as I have found it rather difficult to get any LoS in Australia. Builders like EdT and Remco have had very good success using it however. It's readily available in the USA.[/font][/size]

Danny,

For the benefit of any Aussies wondering, you can order LoS online here:

http://www.polymerclay.com.au/xlgel2liverofsulphurextendedlifegel2oz-p-12378.html

I have some and it works really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that link to the LoS Grant, I'll get some from them.

Forecastle and Quarterdeck Planking

The Forecastle and Quarterdeck have been planked. Both decks have tapered planks as well as a couple of Dropped planks each. Here are some progress pics :

Planking 001.jpg

Planking 002.jpg

Planking 003.jpg

Planking 004.jpg

Planking 005.jpg

Planking 006.jpg

At this stage none of the planks have been sanded - these pics were taken just after the last two were glued in. The "caulking" smudges will all sand out evenly. There are one or two very small gaps which will be filled with a sawdust/glue mixture.

Treenailing is next.

Cheers, Danny

Looks great Danny, good to see your progress.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

way above my head............simply beautiful planking Danny!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the kind words Sherry, John, John and Popeye :) .

I've marked and drilled the holes for the treenails on both decks. As most of the planks (apart from the Kingplank) are no wider than 8" they only get one treenail.

Treenails 001.jpg

Treenails 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very nice Danny. Keeping up the highest standards as always I see!

I'm overwhelmed, and feel pretty inferior right now!

Your work is amazing

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Nice work Danny, those timber colours compliment each other very nicely

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Danny,

Just catching up on your log, haven't looked in for a while :(  you have made wonderful progress and your craftsmanship is excellent. :) 

I will keep a closer eye on your build from now on :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Sweet Danny, I just ordered my framing package in Pear, I will be starting the TFFM in January and I'm doing Pegasus.

I have started reading and rereading yours and Toni's logs, loads of info to digest and I thank you again for rebuilding your log.

Ben

very beatiful planking . but then we dont expect anything less from you Danny :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Wonderful work. I'm learning a lot just by following.

May I ask what is the width of deck planking on the Swan class sloops? You mentioned it is less than 8 inches, but I wonder what is the "average" width?

I ask because the width of deck planks on HMS Terror is 7 inches (drawn from archaeological data), and that appears to be unusually small. They were also double fastened, which is also unusual (as you say, less than 8 inches typically received a single spike/treenail), but not for polar vessels.

Thank you Brian, Grant, Rowan, Jan, Pat, Jeff, Duffer, Ben, Joe, Adrieke and E&T :) .

Wonderful work. I'm learning a lot just by following.

May I ask what is the width of deck planking on the Swan class sloops? You mentioned it is less than 8 inches, but I wonder what is the "average" width?

I ask because the width of deck planks on HMS Terror is 7 inches (drawn from archaeological data), and that appears to be unusually small. They were also double fastened, which is also unusual (as you say, less than 8 inches typically received a single spike/treenail), but not for polar vessels.

As Druxey pointed out the maximum width for most planks for this period was 10". There were a few exceptions such as the King Planks which could be 12" - 13". The Top and Butt Shifted planks for the Upper (Gun) Deck were of course wider than the "normal" planks at their widest point (up to 12"). The Forecastle and Quarterdeck on this ship didn't carry a lot of weight (no guns) and used narrower (and thinner) planks than the lower decks.

It sounds feasible that "heavy duty" vessels like those that were intended for Polar Exploration would have been double-fastened for narrower width planks, but I'm no authority on that point.

Cheers, Danny