HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Dan,

I have to learn how to make those scrapers. I made some railings for my build and just a simple double bead mold on a 1/16 strip. The method I used would not be appropriate for anything more complex. The scrapers you show are a good model for what I might try.

I had a question, did you use any power tools/mill or just use a hand file to work the blade?

Really great work and your detailed explanations are very helpful.

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Thank you Aussie and John :) .

Richard, I'm not great at making Scrapers either - for me it's a matter of trial and error before I achieve anything that looks reasonably like the right shape :( .

I use a flat Xacto blade with a heavy-duty handle. First I anneal the steel by holding over a gas flame until red hot, and allow to cool without quenching. This softens the steel sufficiently to allow a file to work.

Then I cut a "negative" of the required shape using a thin cutting disc in my Dremel, finishing off with needle files. I angle one side of the cuts to sharpen them - they work best if you pull from the flat side. Some sections of the profile aren't sharpened but rather rounded off to avoid cutting into the timber. These act as guides to follow the edge of the timber or stop the cut at the required depth.

Finally I re-heat the blade and harden it by quenching in oil to cool it quickly.

Another tip - I cut the molding into a wider piece of stock first, then trim it to width on my Byrnes saw. This allows me to hold the otherwise very thin piece firmly without it wanting to wander all over the place.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

That tuck rail is far trickier than it looks. Looks like you nailed it, Dan!

Thanks Druxey, actually it was quite easy. The hardest parts were shaping the molding around the end return and the small notch above the rudder hinge. Cutting the bevel only took one go (I must be getting better at doing things like that "by eye" :D ).

Quarter Badge Stools and Munions

This looked like being quite a challenge, but thanks to the instructions and tips in TFFM they haven't been too difficult so far (I haven't got to the Carving part yet though :huh:  ). I'm only fitting a Badge to the Port side.

The first pieces to be made, which the success of the rest depend on, are the Upper and Lower Stools. These took some careful measuring and marking out to get the right angles. In fact, I had a failure with the lower stool - I didn't have enough angle from the vertical (12 degrees) the first time I glued it in and had to get the Isopropyl out and have a second go. No biggie :) .

I took the shape of the stools straight from the drawing in TFFM and cut two identical pieces. These need slightly different bevels on their inboard edges to keep the stools horizontal athwartships. Here is one stool ready for gluing in, the molding on the edge has already been scraped in :

Quarter Badges 001.jpg

To assist in gluing them to the correct angle I used masking tape :

Quarter Badges 002.jpg

The upper stool is quite a bit trickier to make than the lower one. It consists of three parts with a "bell" shaped piece in the middle. To make the centre piece I first cut out the lower portion from some thick stock, sanded the outer face to conform with the lower stool, then scraped the molding, and finally sanded the outer portion to shape on the disc sander :

Quarter Badges 003.jpg

Quarter Badges 004.jpg

Quarter Badges 005.jpg

The joints are cut at a 45 degree angle. I glued the three pieces together before bevelling the assembly :

Quarter Badges 006.jpg

To ensure both stools were perfectly parallel I used a piece of scrap with two bevels sanded into it as a spacer. The 2nd pic shows the spacer in use, but was only my 1st attempt before I realised I'd got the angle wrong :

Quarter Badges 008.jpg

Quarter Badges 007.jpg

Take two, after I got the angles right :

Quarter Badges 009.jpg

Last step to this stage, I've fitted the four Munions - more tricky angles, all done on the disc sander. The rough bit of cutting into the Sheer Strake above the bell will be covered by the Upper Finishing later on :

Quarter Badges 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Dan,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of sitting under my camper annex, out the back of NSW somewhere, swatting away flies whilst chewing on a well-done steak ...

... And knowing the guy in the caravan next to me is one of the world's most eminent ship-modellers !!!

Damn !! But you are good !!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you Greg - no, the case made it to the bedroom but I DID turn on the workshop lights on my way past :D .

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of sitting under my camper annex, out the back of NSW somewhere, swatting away flies whilst chewing on a well-done steak ...

... And knowing the guy in the caravan next to me is one of the world's most eminent ship-modellers

Garry ..... is that you :D ? Thanks Steve :) .

Thank you too John.

Upper Finishing

Work continues on the Quarter Badge. Here is the Upper Finishing under construction. I made it from English Box. The first step was to cut out the lower portion to fit around the bell :

Upper Finishing 001.jpg

Then I finessed the inner face to fit tight against the hull planking :

Upper Finishing 002.jpg

The outer face was sanded down to fit the curvature of the upper stool :

Upper Finishing 003.jpg

Then the upper section was cut on the scroll saw :

Upper Finishing 004.jpg

Finally it was rounded off. The flat section on the top will support a carving of a Crown, and the whole piece will be textured :

Upper Finishing 005.jpg

Upper Finishing 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

But wait John .... there's more :D .

Lower Finishing

The Lower Finishing is done in three sections - upper and lower sections divided by the Lower Finishing Rail.

I first made the upper piece, which is sanded inward on it's lower edge by about 25 degrees. I then cut the molding in.Then I made the rail and glued it to the bottom of the upper piece :

Lower Finishing 001.jpg

The lower piece was a bit harder to make, as I incorporated the Drop (the fancy round bit at the bottom). I carved a representation of three "leaves" into the drop :

Lower Finishing 002.jpg

The last bit was easy - glue the two assemblies to the bottom of the Quarter Badge :

Lower Finishing 003.jpg

Lower Finishing 004.jpg

Some carving still needs to be done to both upper and lower finishing pieces. This should be fairly easy with all parts fitted to the hull (I hope :huh:  ).

Cheers, Danny

Wow, your side gallery is looking great.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Wow!  Not only is the craftsmanship great, but the tutorial breaking it down step-by-step is even better (if that's possible).

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Very well done, Danny.  I can't wait to see your carvings.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the comments Christian, Remco, John. Grant, Toni, Mark, Joe and Ben. Also all those who "Liked" the post. Much appreciated :) .

Carving the Finishing and Glazing Lights

Mark, as per your request - the carving on the Lower Finishing :

Lower Finishing 005.jpg

Lower Finishing 009.jpg

I won't be doing any of the "fancy" carving for quite a while yet if I do any of it at all, I'm still undecided - I don't have the tools, and my skills don't extend to the "artistic" type carving yet. Perhaps I can persuade Janos to make a few for me (hint, hint Janos ;):D ).

I've also "glazed" the Lights with Acrylic (Perspex) and made and fitted the frames and munions. The curved frame in the central light was done by soaking and bending the strip :

Light Frames and Munions.jpg

Almost finished with this very enjoyable project. Just four Pilasters to make.

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny.  For the crowns, if you don't want to carve, find the King from a chess set of the appropriate size.  One king would give you two half-crowns. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For the crowns, if you don't want to carve, find the King from a chess set of the appropriate size.

Thanks for the tip Mark, but it would have to be a VERY small chess set - the Crown is only 4mm high :) .

Pilasters

The final pieces of this jigsaw puzzle - the Pilasters. The first pieces I made were the Bases and Capitals. These were cut from a length of molded English Box :

Pilasters 001.jpg

The Columns were done in similar fashion, from long lengths of molded stock :

Pilasters 002.jpg

Some pics of the finished assembly ready for a coat of Minwax :

Pilasters 003.jpg

Pilasters 004.jpg

Pilasters 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Lovely work, Danny. Is the other side left in frame (I forget)? Then you don't have to repeat this difficult task.

Thanks Greg, and yes it is. Leaving one side "in frame" has saved me a mountain of double work so far :D .

Thanks again John.

Cheers, Danny

Wow, that looks great. Perhaps I should also let one side open and show the frames.

Another hint for my build book

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nice way to put a complex part together.  Break it down into several pieces and then fitting them together.  Bravo!

David B

Thanks for the tip Mark, but it would have to be a VERY small chess set - the Crown is only 4mm high :) .

Travel chess set? They'll be plastic of course but I'm sure you'd be able to make them look good.  ;)

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Wow, that looks great. Perhaps I should also let one side open and show the frames.

Another hint for my build book

Spending all the time to properly frame a model in an historically correct manner and then covering it up seems like a crime. There are may strategies to show framing or areas of framing.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752