HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks for the comments on the jigs Remco, Mark, dragzz, Doris, John and Pat. I'd toyed with the idea of using the Mill, but after cutting the first swivel mount in a couple of minutes I figured the jig would work quicker :) .

I've now temporarily glued all the Port side mounts in place and sanded the Sheer into them. Now I'll fit the Starboard ones and sand them horizontally athwartships.

Swivel Gun Mounts 006.jpg

Swivel Gun Mounts 007.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Lovely danny.

They look good in place too

The V groove takes a lot of effort out of making octagonals!

Colin

Edited by clloyd

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Hi Danny, would it be too much of a pain to explain a little your Jig for the Octagonals  (I have a few coming up down the line and would love to see your approach, as it seems so simple I feel I must be missing something :P )  

Thanks Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Danny, would it be too much of a pain to explain a little your Jig for the Octagonals  (I have a few coming up down the line and would love to see your approach, as it seems so simple I feel I must be missing something :P )  

Thanks Mate

Eamonn

No problem Eamonn. The pics below almost explain themselves. I used my table saw to cut the V groove, first the two outer cuts to depth, then a cut down the middle for the bottom of the V, and then some decreasing cuts either side to remove the bulk of the wood. I finished it off with a V gouge - it looks a bit rough, but it holds the piece quite firmly. I used my fingers to hold the piece down whilst sanding - holding and shaping them is easier done before cutting the piece to length off the long stock.

The stopper glued to one end helps keep the stock at the correct distance from the end - I simply marked the jig with a pencil at the point where I had to stop sanding. If all your pieces are the same length you could glue a piece of scrap across the V at the mark to avoid going over it.

Octagonal Jig 001.jpg

Octagonal Jig 002.jpg

I start off by sanding down one corner until the sanding stick just touches the top of the jig, then turn it 90 degrees and sand down the second corner and so on.

Octagonal Jig 003.jpg

Octagonal Jig 004.jpg

Setting the height was a bit of trial and error, but you could probably calculate and measure the amount of depth required.

If you have quite a few pieces to shape you could CA a couple of strips of an old hacksaw blade or flat steel either side of the V groove to avoid sanding the top of the jig too low - I only had 16 pieces to shape so I didn't bother, but the last three or four needed careful work because I DID sand some off the jig. You can see that in the second pic above.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks Danny you are a Star ! that will come in well handy for some Mast and Bow-Sprit shaping later.

Your Vulture is a Peach by the way !  and a fab lesson in technique too.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

nice method......definitely one to keep in mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Danny, Another great jig idea.  To get the 4-square piece to an equally-sided 8 side piece, you could mark the face of each piece using a 7 -10 - 7 fan and a tick-strip as described by David Antscherl and others.  Then just chisel or sand to the line while held in the jig. 

Maury

Thanks for the compliments Eamonn, Janos, John, Popeye, Maury and Maurino.

Janos - yes the darker wood for the handrails is Swiss Pear

Maury, I've used the 7 - 10 method for other octagons, but the jig makes it a lot easier as I don't have to keep a careful eye on the lines :) .

Back to work - the Swivel Gun Mounts have a re-enforcing strap to hold the base of the swivel mounts. These are bolted through the timber mounts on the real ship, but I've omitted this detail as the bolt heads would be almost too tiny to see on the model. There is supposed to be an octagonal band around the top as well, but once again I'm not fitting that - I had several attempts at making them using various methods, but none looked satisfactory.

Swivel Gun Mounts 008.jpg

Swivel Gun Mounts 009.jpg

All the Mounts are now permanently fitted. The Swivel Guns themselves won't be fitted until almost at the end of the build.

Swivel Gun Mounts 010.jpg

Swivel Gun Mounts 011.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Dan you are a wonder.  I leave you for about a week and you still amaze me.  Great Work

David B

Great stuff, Danny!  Is the stern next?

John

Not quite John - I still have a few "odds and ends" to do on the decks before I start that next major project.

Thank you to David, Alan, E&T, mhegazi and David :).

I've been unable to do very much on Vulture lately - for those of you who don't already know and are wondering why, the explanation is HERE. Please leave any comments in that thread as I don't want to clutter the build log with too many "off topic" posts. Thanks again to all those who have already replied to it.

I hope to be back here as soon as I possibly can.

Cheers, Danny

Hi all,

I've managed to get a little bit done - the following would normally have taken me about half a day, instead I've spent nearly three days on these pieces. At least I can still do SOMETHING ;) .

Fore Jeer Bitts

The Fore Jeer Bitts on Vulture are similar to the Fore Topsail Sheet Bitts, except they don't continue down to the upper deck. There is no room for Standards on them either as the hatch behind them is wider than most other Swan Class ships :

Fore Jeer Bitts.jpg

I've also made and fitted 22 Eyebolts - 10 around the Foremast, 8 in the bulwarks adjacent to the mast, and 4 in the Breast Beam :

Forecastle Eyebolts 002.jpg

Forecastle Eyebolts 001.jpg

Forecastle Eyebolts 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

do you wish you had done one more row of planking for those eye bolts?   it's good to see your still tool'in in the workshop.  hope you feeling better.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice to see you back at it Danny, and also still managing to drop in on others logs to give advice (thanks ;) ).

Yes it is great to see that you are able to get back to the shipyard!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you all :) .

do you wish you had done one more row of planking for those eye bolts?

Not really, the eyebolts on the starboard side of the main mast are the same. I had to draw the line as to how many planks I wanted to lay.

Dan,

without going back though your build log, can I ask about the clear finish ?

I know you use wipe on poly, but do you buff it between coats with steel wool ?  What's the brand name of the product please ?

It's "Minwax" Satin finish, and I don't buff between coats - no need to.

Cheers, Danny

Danny, I've been following your builds since I joined this website and have yet to comment on one of them. Your work is simply immaculate. I'm glad to see some active progress despite the difficulties.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks again Doris, John, Patrick (welcome to my Log) and Edwin :) .

Belfry

The Belfry roof is carved from a single piece of English Box :

Belfry 001.jpg

Belfry 003.jpg

The two stanchions are dark Swiss Pear and the Headstock is English Box. I turned the bell on the lathe and scratchbuilt the two cleats from brass sheet :

Belfry 004.jpgBelfry 005.jpg

The belfry assembly fixed in place :

Belfry 006.jpg

Belfry 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very very nice Danny . I love the woods you have used . Is all the wood from hobby mill ? I know the framing is from the hobbymill but just wondered about the other timbers . Or did you source some from within Australia .

David

Edited by scratch