HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Nice belfry Danny for whom does it toll?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

That's a fantastic looking belfry and bell. Very realistic and a real compliment to your Vulture.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Michael

Looks like you are a man who likes to read a good book.  Hemingway was always a good read.

David B

Edited by dgbot

very nice Progress Danny,

your beautiful build in all Details of this Swan Class is an awesome sight !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you David, Michael, Patrick, Nils, Mohamad and Jan.

Is all the wood from hobby mill ? I know the framing is from the hobbymill but just wondered about the other timbers . Or did you source some from within Australia .

David, that info can be found HERE

Hopefully not for me Michael :mellow:  .

how large (or should I say: tiny) is that wonderfull bell?

Jan, it's 5mm x 5mm.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Forecastle Railing and Spar Rack

There is a Railing on the aft end of the Forecastle. Two Stanchions support the port and starboard sections. Each stanchion is fitted with a 2mm diameter x 0.7mm thick sheave which I turned on the lathe :

Stanchions 001.jpg

I made the rails in two sections, as it was nearly impossible to accurately cut the square holes for the stanchions without splitting the timber :

Stanchions 002.jpg

Stanchions 003.jpg

Some time ago I mentioned that there didn't seem to be a forward support for the ship's boats - yes there is :) . The Spar Rack does this job - the boats are lashed to spare spars carried on the rack. The rack is the same width as the railings. They still need a finish applied :

Spar Rack 001.jpg

Spar Rack 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Companion Top

The aft Companion has a clerestory-style top fitted to it. Cutting the 2mm x 3mm holes for the Lights was a challenge :D . I cut them with a #11 Xacto and a tiny chisel, and bevelled their outer edges :

Companion Top 001.jpg

I "glazed" the lights with strips of very thin acrylic sheet, glued in with PVA. The corners of the four sections have been bevelled for a knife-edge fit :

Companion Top 002.jpg

Companion Top 003.jpg

A roof was cut from a piece of 0.6mm thick Castello and glued to the sides :

Companion Top.jpg

The assembly fitted to the deck :

Companion Top 004.jpg

Companion Top 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Some very nice details there Danny, they really enhance the excellent quality of your build!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Forecastle Railing and Spar Rack

I made the rails in two sections, as it was nearly impossible to accurately cut the square holes for the stanchions without splitting the timber :

So THAT'S how it's done !!! 

Thanks again, Danny. Will add that one to the memory banks for later on.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Dear Danny,

Your work is really perfect. The highest level of the details and quality of your work make a great impression and it is very inspirational. I love the belfry! B)

Keep up and have a great time
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Thanks for looking in again, and the kind comments John, Ben, Pat, Sherry, David, David, Grant, Steve and Doris. I appreciate it :) .

Ship's Wheel

Making the Ship's Wheel is one of the most challenging, but FUN, parts of the whole Build. I used some of the method shown in TFFM, with some other ideas of my own. I used English Box, as some of the 32 parts are very thin and needed the best timber available.

First I turned up the 10 Spokes. These were done using the Digital Readout on the lathe. If I'd failed with these then I'd have had to look at "Plan B" - buying a ready-made wheel. The only "failure" I had was with the first one .... I wasn't happy with the thickness of the handpiece (too thin). Version 2.0 looks better  :

Wheel 002.jpg

I started by making a "building block" from a piece of 10mm thick Pear. The Rim of the wheel is 3" thick, whereas the Hub is 5" thick, so I turned out the centre portion 1" deeper to allow the hub to be centralised in the wheel (measurements are "real life"). After marking out the limits of the rim I cut and glued the hub to the block, and also the 10 segments of the rim. I used PVA to glue the pieces to the block but Epoxy to glue the segments of the rim together, for reasons which will become apparent later on :

Wheel 001.jpg

Next I turned the rim and hub to size :

Wheel 003.jpg

Wheel 004.jpg

Leaving the block in the chuck I transferred the unit to the Mill, and cut the 10 slots for the spokes with the aid of my Indexing Attachment :

Wheel 007.jpg

Wheel 008.jpg

Continued next Post ....

Cheers, Danny

I've not looked in for a long time and all I can say is WOW Danny, she is really beautiful, your craftsmanship is simply amazing.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

..... Continued

(Thank you Geoff and Caroline)

The unit after milling the slots. I must have miscalculated one of the cuts, but I later managed to correct it by cutting and gluing tiny portions of wood back in. The repair turned out invisible :) :

Wheel 009.jpg

The spokes needed the sections where they join the hub and rim squared off, and also reduced in thickness to keep the spokes central :

Wheel 010.jpg

The first three spokes glued in. I used CA for a temporary fix to keep them aligned :

Wheel 011.jpg

After gluing in all the spokes I cut another 10 thin segments of the rim and hub and Epoxied them on. Then it was back into the lathe to trim them down. The pic below is how they came off the lathe before cleaning up :

Wheel 013.jpg

Cleaned up with a very sharp Xacto :

Wheel 014.jpg

Last step, and the scariest :huh:  , was to soak the unit in Isopropyl Alcohol to soften the PVA which attached the wheel to the block. I held my breath when I started removing it, but ..... SUCCESS :D :D :

Wheel 015.jpg

A little bit of final cleaning up is still needed after the alcohol has fully evaporated.

Cheers, Danny

Brilliant work Danny. I looked at the info on the wheel in the FFM and couldn't imagine how it could be done - you have proved it can be with the right tools and very good skills. The skylight is a treat too. I'm going to have a go at the same for Fly but don't fancy my chances at 1:64.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thank you Alistair.

In hindsight there was one thing I didn't think about when I made the Building Block. I should have drilled a 4.5mm hole in it's centre to allow me to give the Hub an assist when removing the wheel from the block. The centre hole in the hub is 3mm, and this would have given me the "step" I needed to work the hub free from the block. I managed to do it by CAREFULLY drilling a couple of small holes through the block after all was glued together - SCARY :huh:  .

Good luck with trying to make a wheel at 1:64 - it was hard enough at 1:48 :huh:  .

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny

No I'm not going to try the wheel at 1:64 :o. It is the aft clerestory in the manner of the FFM, like yours, that I'm going to try and even that seems like a difficult prospect.

On a completely different matter - I notice your gratings and coamings are quite heavily cambered whereas some models show them quite flat. Is this all guesswork in terms of historical accuracy? I like your camber but went very flat with mine for no real reason and now I wonder what is more correct (I suspect yours is given the depth of your knowledge)?

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Impressive and a great tutorial.  Makes me less nervous about doing one though like Alistair, mine has to be 1:64.  I think the next ship will be at 1:24....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)