HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Nicely done, I wou ldn't mind doing a beauty like that but I do not have my tool shop here.

David

Nice job Danny. Looking ahead to when I start my build, you're going to be a tough act to follow. 

Cheers :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very good looking Danny,

just a question....,  how do you slip the lower top platforms over the masttop with the shroud rigging on, are the rectangular outcuts so large ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

looks awesome Danny!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the kind comments Ben, John, Sherry, Piet, David, George, Greg, Nils and Popeye - much appreciated :) .

how do you slip the lower top platforms over the masttop with the shroud rigging on, are the rectangular outcuts so large ?

Nils - the holes in the Tops are just large enough to slip over the shrouds.

Fore Mast Shrouds

With the completion of the Fore Mast ones I've finished fitting all the lower shrouds :

Fore Shrouds.jpg

Fore Shrouds 002.jpg

Fore Shrouds 003.jpg

Fore Shrouds 004.jpg

Fore Shrouds 005.jpg

My apologies for the poor quality of the pics - it's very difficult to take good ones with the lighting and backgrounds in my caravan :( .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

It's one of my MOST favourite things Brian, especially when they turn out well. I love all things associated with rigging, yes even tying Ratlines :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looking fabulous Danny, despite the challenges of taking pictures in the caravan!

Ultra good work Danny !

its now the most interesting part for the final apearance of the shipmodel, the rigging and perhaps (the sails ?)

Please would you kindly also Show some pics of a view into the hull outcuts from external view, as you have spent so much wonderful Fitting out on the internal decks and their Details.

Your Vulture is  such a delight to see in all stages of build Danny , you`re  Setting the mark very high and I love it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you mhegazi and Nils (I'm still not sure about how many sails I'll be fitting, if any).

Main Stay

Apart from the Anchor Hawse the Main Stay is the largest rope on the ship at 1.4mm diameter. It fits to the mast top in similar fashion to the mizzen stay, and is lashed to the stay collar at it's lower end. The upper end is served to a few scale feet below the mouse :

Main Stay 002.jpg

Main Stay 003.jpg

Main Stay 001.jpg

I'd forgotten to fit the Main Preventer Stay Collar before I'd permanently fitted the foremast. It made the job slightly more difficult. To prevent the collar from shifting upward two cleats are glued to the sides of the foremast :

Main Stay 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Dave, make sure you wipe your screen and keyboard every now and then :D .

Main Preventer Stay

The Main Preventer Stay is smaller than the main stay (1.0mm diameter) and fits around the mast head above the main stay. It's lower end lashes to the preventer stay collar on the foremast :

Main Preventer Stay 001.jpg

Main Preventer Stay 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again David, George, Juergen and John :) .

Fore Stay and Preventer Stay

The Fore Stay and Preventer Stay are very similar to the Main Stays :

Fore Stay 001.jpg

Fore Stay 002.jpg

Fore Stay 003.jpg

This concludes the lower part of the standing rigging. I'll be fitting Ratlines for the next week or so :) .

Cheers, Danny

I am surprised you did not take aa few drinks doing those shrouds.  Nicely done and very neat.

David B

I saw Tommy Emmanuel in concert recently. As I watched his incredible skill, I couldn't help thinking, "Wow, if there are any beginning guitar students in the audience, they'll probably just toss their guitars in the trash, throw up their hands and say, 'Oh, forget it!'."

As a beginning shipbuilder, I look at pictures such as these and want to do the same thing.

But then again, they are a great source of inspiration ... for the skill involved, the patience and just the dang coolness of it all.

Thanks for posting them.

P.S. These pages are certainly going to the top of my bookmarks. Im sure I'll want to return.

Keep up the great work.

John

Owensboro, KY, USA

Danny and Tommy are both Aussies so maybe all Australians are gifted? After seeing Tommy in concert I wanted to turn my Matin guitar into timber for my ship model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

There's no doubt about the gifted part, but a good way to look at it is to see it as realizing what can be possible with practice and the idea of never giving up. :)

Cheers  :cheers:

post-12186-0-02727300-1416410972_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks very much David, Sherry, Dave, John, Greg and George :) .

John - George has hit the nail on the head. None of my previous 12 or 13 wooden model ships have turned out anywhere near as good as this one, although each was better than the previous one. It all comes with practice :) .

Mast Tops

Construction of the Mast Tops begins by rebating each plank to half it's thickness where they will overlap. This was done on the Byrnes saw by first cutting a series of slots to half thickness :

Top Planks 002.jpg

The excess was cut off with an Xacto knife :

Top Planks 003.jpg

Finally they were finished with a sanding stick :

Top Planks 004.jpg

Top Planks 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work on the rigging Danny.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Michael.

The planks were overlapped and glued together. Note the change of direction in the fore-aft and athwartship planks :

Tops 001.jpg

Tops 002.jpg

Then the outer edge was trimmed to shape :

Tops 003.jpg

To make the outer rim I rebated the straight sections with the table saw. The curved forward piece was milled and trimmed with an Xacto chisel :

Tops 004.jpg

Tops 005.jpg

The four pieces were glued to the platform and a sloping angle was cut into the curved section using a sharp Xacto blade :

Tops 007.jpg

The Battens were fitted next :

Tops 006.jpg

Finally, all the holes for the topmast deadeyes, stanchions, crowsfeet and blocks were measured, drilled and filed :

Tops 009.jpg

Tops 008.jpg

Tops 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

nice looking tops Danny ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lovely work indeed Danny . Are you going to keep this one or pass it on to the family / museum ? And just a bit off topic , did you get around to doing anything on the stage coach ? Was looking forward to see how she turned out .

Dave

Edited by scratch