HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Nice rigging work Danny,

you mentioned once that you may be rigging some sails....... is this still valid ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for looking in again David, George, Kees and Nils, and also to all those who hit the "like" button :) .

Spritsail Running Rigging

I've completed all the rigging on the Spritsail. This pic shows the Jib Guy Falls (dark inner lines) and the Yard Lifts (light outer lines). I'd rigged the forward parts of the Falls earlier, now they pass through the thimbles about 3/4 of the way in from the ends of the yard and end with a single block which has an eye stropped into it's ****. The tackle for the falls has a block and hook attached to the Cathead, and the fall passes through the block in the fall and ends at a timberhead.

The Lifts start at the yard cleats, pass through the thimbles at the end of the jibboom and tie off to a cleat on each side of the bow :

Spritsail Rigging 001.jpg

The Halyard has two single blocks, one with an eye and both with hooks. One hook is attached to the thimble in the centre of the yard, the other hooks to the eyebolt under the cap. The fall runs to a timberhead on the starboard side of the bow :

Spritsail Rigging 009.jpg

The previously attached Standing Lifts lash to another hook and thimble which go into the eyebolts either side of the cap :

Spritsail Rigging 008.jpg

The light colored lines in the shape of a "W" are the Braces. The standing parts of these are very long, as they start on the Forestay where the attach via a clove hitch in it's centre, through the blocks on each end of the brace pendants on the yard, up to the blocks under the mast top, down through the sheaves in the inner ends of the Bitts, and tie around the timberheads above them :

Spritsail Rigging.jpg

Spritsail Rigging 005.jpg

Spritsail Rigging 002.jpg

Spritsail Rigging 007.jpg

At this stage I haven't done any "faking down" (coiling the lines around the belaying points) of any of the lines. That will come when I've finished all the rigging.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

First, I've got to comment on Jerome's clever posting on the previous page. That facial expression is priceless. It also does a perfect job of expressing my own words regarding your work Danny. We don't often have the opportunity to see total perfection in craftsmanship.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

G'day Danny

Another pict-o-graph of your wonderful and skilled tallant. What you need to do, is to get a publisher and publish these step by step instructions. ....I've have no doubt it would be a best seller. It will not only help the less experience builder, but also the experience ones as well.

Looking for more outstanding pictorial-instructions to come

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

A detailed practicum would be a best seller.  Your work is that good.  I know I would add it to my library.  Flawless craftsmanship and skill.  Simply outstanding.

David B

super rigging Danny

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Once again a big thank you for your overly kind ;) comments George, Dave, Greg, David John and Nils.

Crossjack

The Crossjack is much simpler to fit with blocks than the two previous yards, as this yard doesn't carry a sail.

The only blocks are a 10" block for the Sling, two 10" Quarter Blocks, the usual two Lift/Topsail Sheet blocks at the outer ends, and two Brace Pendants :

Crossjack 001.jpg

Crossjack 002.jpg

The brace pendants are lashed to the yard about 4 feet from the ends to improve their lead :

Crossjack 003.jpg

Instead of Jeers like on the other two lower yards the Crossjack is supported by a Sling. This has a small eye spliced into one end, passes through the Sling Block, and goes around the mast above the shrouds. The end of the sling goes through the eye and is seized back to itself :

Crossjack 007.jpg

Crossjack.jpg

A Truss is fitted in similar fashion to the other yards, except there is only one thimble and fall. The fall of the truss has a single block stropped to it. The standing part of the tackle goes through the eye of the strop, through another single block with a long strop and hook, back through the upper block, and belays to a timberhead :

Crossjack 006.jpg

Crossjack 011.jpg

The lower truss tackle block hooks into an eyebolt in the port mizzen channel :

Crossjack 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I just love those details Danny. You are an artist, and one can only hope to be as good.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Danny

I can hardly wait for your next chapter in this wonderful pictorial book of HMS VALTURE. Well done

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

At this stage I haven't done any "faking down" (coiling the lines around the belaying points) of any of the lines. That will come when I've finished all the rigging.

What!!... you mean you are not going to be able to adjust the sails..... :P

Great work Danny

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

much simpler to fit

Only a master dares to use these words posting these photo's...

Man, you make me feel like a total ***** when I see these pictures.

Regards, Kees

Once again thanks for the comments George, Greg, Skybolt, Michael, Ben and Kees :) .

Mizzen Mast Cleats

There are six cleats to be fitted near the foot of the Mizzen Mast. These would have been considerably easier to fit before the mast was stepped :( .

To mass produce the cleats I tack glued about 10 (some spares) pieces of 5mm x 1.5mm x 0.8mm pieces of english box together. When dry I filed them to shape :

Mizzen Cleats 001.jpg

Mizzen Cleats 002.jpg

Then I dropped the unit into Isopropyl for half an hour and seperated them :

Mizzen Cleats 003.jpg

The hard part was gluing them to the mast with the shrouds getting in the way a bit :

Mizzen Cleats 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Gaff

I made the Jaws for the Gaff from Swiss Pear for a bit of contrast. This pic shows the jaws after gluing to the spar and before rounding off :

Gaff 001.jpg

After shaping, and with card bands, eyebolt, blocks and parrel fitted :

Gaff 004.jpg

Gaff 003.jpg

Gaff 005.jpg

Gaff 006.jpg

I turned and drilled the Parrel Trucks on the lathe. They are 1.5mm in diameter :

Gaff 002.jpg

The Throat Halyard block is supported in a sling which goes over the bolsters in the mizzen top :

Gaff 008.jpg

The Parrel is knotted on one side of the jaws, goes around the mast and back through the hole in the other side. A stopper knot finishes it off :

Gaff 011.jpg

The Peak Halyard rigging. A double block hooked to the mast cap is used to lead it downward :

Gaff 009.jpg

Gaff 010.jpg

The falls of the two halyards belay to the cleats :

Gaff 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Jeers

With the arrival of the rigging thread I was waiting on I could now finish off the Jeers on the fore and main masts.

These start with a double block on one side. It reaves through the large jeer block under the Top on one side, through the block in the centre of the yard, back up through the other block under the top, and finishes with another double block :

Jeers 001.jpg

The tackle of the jeer falls. This is the main mast :

Jeers 002.jpg

And the fore mast :

Jeers 003.jpg

The falls of the tackles go through the sheaves in the Jeer Bitts and belay around the Bitt Rail :

Jeers 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great rigging Danny (and very timely for me :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Another example of pure excellence! Another example of step by step pictorial "teach-o-graph". I don't know what we are going to do when you are finished with this outstanding ship......I'll be crying I think.

Cheers

Greg

I never realised it, but the rigging - as in rope - looks so realistic even at the scale you are building ... it is amazing. And again splendid detail on the gaf... like the contrast with the pear wood

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

lovely !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I don't say much Danny........your one of the awesome craftsmen here.  the ability to craft your own blocks and perform such life-like rigging,  is a prime example of technique and experience.  so many comment who have much more experience than I do,  so I simply watch and learn,  and enjoy watching you do that voodoo,  you do  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I don't say much Danny........your one of the awesome craftsmen here.  the ability to craft your own blocks and perform such life-like rigging,  is a prime example of technique and experience.  so many comment who have much more experience than I do,  so I simply watch and learn,  and enjoy watching you do that voodoo,  you do  ;)  

Arrr ...

What he said .. !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Yup, wot they said!!! :)

Reading your updates never fails to put a smile on my dial Danny! :)